Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Weekend of skiing – cheap options?
  • steve-g
    Free Member

Hi

I know skiing and cheap dont really go together, but cheap relatively speaking.

What is the cheapest anyone has managed an out Friday back Monday ski trip with 2 or 3 days on the piste, setting of from London or the south east. And more importantly how did you do it?

surfer
    Free Member

I go with a few mates each year and we simply go Easyjet from Liverpool to Geneva, transfer to a resort and go either self catering or get a good deal on an all inclusive which can work out cheaper.
    First flight Sunday morning and with a following wind we are on the slopes by midday. Ski until end of play Thursday, teatime transfer, Pizza in the railways station and evening flight. Home by about 11.
    4.5 days skiing.

Edit: sorry to answer your question I think if you put “skiing” and “weekend” in your search engine you are likely to get fleeced. Go midweek. Also just book an apartment for the week even if you are just there for a few days. If anyone can find a cheapish weekends skiing I would love to hear about!

RoterStern
    Free Member

Eastern Europe is going to be the cheapest option. Czech Republic has some big mountains but nothing like the scale of the Alps but perfectly adequate for a few days. You may find you have to queue a lot for the lifts though. Other than that if you go skiing not the high season then there are plenty of deals to be had in the Alps too.

jfletch
    Free Member

Self catering + short transfer + cheap flights is the way to do it. Cheap flights are hard though as you are competing with business people for early/late flights to maxmise your time on the slopes.

As an example Morzine could be done for
    Flights £150 pp on Esay Jet to Geneva
    Transfers £50 pp (various companies such as Alpybus)
    Accomodation £70 pp (cheapo self catering appartment with as many people crammed into a small space as possible)
    Ski hire/carrage £50 (assuming you have your own boots)
    Lift pass £150
    Insurance £10

So just less than £500 pp + any spending money for food and booze.

mrmoofo

Self catering + short transfer + cheap flights is the way to do it. Cheap flights are hard though as you are competing with business people for early/late flights to maxmise your time on the slopes.

As an example Morzine could be done for
    Flights £150 pp on Esay Jet to Geneva
    Transfers £50 pp (various companies such as Alpybus)
    Accomodation £70 pp (cheapo self catering appartment with as many people crammed into a small space as possible)
    Ski hire/carrage £50 (assuming you have your own boots)
    Lift pass £150
    Insurance £10

So just less than £500 pp + any spending money for food and booze.

What he says
    You could camp, if you are hardy enough to. I am not sure why you would want to TBH
    Keep an eye out on easyjet prices, they do climb a bit in the winter – ways of reducing the flight cost would be to go at less poluar times (i.e not sunday, Monday,Thursday, Friday) Saturday evenings are normally cheap on EJ.
    Look at Zurich and going to Stk Anton(2.5 hour train or drive)
    Or Andorra (but not from Zurich)
    Cervinia from Milano is possible ….

njee20
    Free Member

Booked EJ tickets last week for Gatwick to Lyon, £185 for two of us, out Friday, back Monday, with a checked bag. Hire car, drive to resort (Deux Alpes in this case), any number of hotels, you can eat fairly cheaply if you want. Lift passes, equipment hire etc are going to be fixed costs.

Doesn’t need to be that bad.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Last year we flew out Friday on the 7am flight from heathrow to munich(BA) hired a car drove to the Tyrol skied for three and a half days (almost) and returned mon evening. £369 plus booze, lunch and lift passes. Hotel was budget b&b plus evening meal.

Loads of skiing in the area from the same pass.

wiggles
    Free Member

Andorra and Serbia are the cheapest places I’ve been… Serbia was umm…interesting but super cheap.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Weekend of skiing – cheap options?’ is closed to new replies.