Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Weekend in Rotherham?
  • timidwheeler
    Free Member

We are going to be in Rotherham for a weekend. Probably won’t be able to take bikes. What is there to do? I know nothing about the place. Any good pub recommendations?

Pook

Wentworth. Go to the Rockingham arms and have a walk over to Wentworth woodhouse. Depending on where you’re staying you’re only half an hour from the peak district too.

Pook

Avoid the town centre.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pook

There’s the golden ball in whiston – that’s nice.

karlwoof
    Free Member

Pook speaks the truth. I’d also add to this; avoid Wickersley.

Pook

You don’t mean that. You mean avoid the masons. Wickersley is a nice place and wickersley wood is lovely.

karlwoof
    Free Member

Ah, yes, my experience has been confined to the 3 horseshoes, the wine bar and the Masons. All terrible.

jekkyl

You’re not from New York City so get off the bandwagon and put down the handbook!!

HTH.

Pook

Karl – locals know a night starts in the working men’s club…. you just didn’t soften the blow first
    Tim, where are you staying?

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Probably near the m18.
    Cheers for the advice.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Cripes!
    I thought Wentworth Woodhouse would be something built by McMoonter….
    That’s one hell of a log shed!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

You’ll never get out alive!!!
    Avoid the town centre day or night, all the good old pubs are long gone.
    Which circle of hell are you staying in, there are some bad bits and some really bad bits. All the riff raff gravitate to Wickersley 😉 😀

rogerthecat
    Free Member

If you go to Wentworth, the George & Dragon is worth a visit – Timothy Taylors and the Old Peculiar in the Rockingham is still good, was in there yesterday.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Will probably be staying in Bramley.

Pook

I’m from Bramley. You in the Elton hotel? Or the ibis? #shudder#

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Erm.. The Ibis, maybe..

*searches for campsites/money down back of sofa*

Pook

Typical rep hotel. Morrison’s and McDonald’s next door. Get to sleep with the calming hum of the m18. How much time do you have to explore?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Top tip – if you hear banjos, paddle faster.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Roche Abbey is nice, ruins of an abbey – cross the M18 and head for Maltby, it should be signposted.
    Rotherham Museum is ok, it’s in Clifton Park closer to town but only 10 mins drive away.
    At a push Rother Valley Country Park is ok for a walk round the lake, a bit further South from Bramley.
    If you are looking for a survivable pub experience, the Hind is ok – head away from the M18 towards the M1 and it’s on the LHS of a dual carriageway.
    As Pook says Whiston is ok and the Golden Ball is ok.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Top tip – if you hear banjos, paddle faster.

Is this a subtle admission, is this well heeled super sellotape sales rep really a facade, are you actually from Canklow? 😀

grum
    Free Member

Someone I know once went to Rotherham to score a load of pills. HTH. 🙂

More helpfully (possibly) – you could visit the Planet X shop.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No, but I did live near Doncaster in my youth!

Twice!

matt_outandabout

Top tip – if you hear banjos, paddle faster. Don’t go to Rotherham

FTFY

rogerthecat
    Free Member

“near Doncaster” – Tickhill perchance? If so that makes you Jeremy Clarkson! 😯

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ll echo Pook being from the same neck of the woods, wentworth is lovely, walk round the house grounds or sample the garden centre cafe.

The town centre is awful. Shopping wise parkgate is ok or Meadowhall is 5 minutes up the road.

Pop to Sheffield and do a tour of the million bike shops.

And wickersley is lovely, the masons however is not!

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Will only have Saturday evening and Sunday daytime free. Planet X are closed on Sunday.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Roger, no! A little to the North West of there. By a big stretch of tarmac. 🙂

ononeorange

I used to live in Kimberworth. Avoid.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@Flashy – bit hard of hearing then? 😀

jackthedog
    Free Member

If you have a car, nip up to Wentworth on Sunday, it’s nearby and it’s lovely. On Saturday evening, if you like good pubs, I’d recommend doing a few of the good ale pubs in sheffield. It’s a ten minute train ride away, and you can start (and/or finish or even just stay all evening) at the Sheffield Tap right in the station.

scuttler

Magna’s OK if there’s kids involved or you are interested in industry. If you’re unsure watch this week’s Storyville on the iplayer and then decide.
    Rother Valley Country Park is nice if you like dangerous dogs
    Greno Woods is close if you bring the bike
    Wentworth Castle and Deer Park (not a real castle – a folly) is nice for a wander and a cake stop
    Not sure what the attraction is with Parkgate Retail Centre unless you’re from Mars and want to see what morons do in their leisure time. I’d hazard a guess it’s vaguely similar to the identikit retail park hellhole you have in your town
    Not far into Sheffield which has the theatres, the winter gardens, a John Lewis (did I say that), various parks and bike shops and restaurants. Eccleshall Road towards Hunter’s bar is a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

Rob_S
    Free Member

Rother Valley Country Park is nice if you like dangerous dogs

???

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Planetx are open on sunday

timidwheeler
    Free Member

On one website says they’re shut. Planet X website says they’re open.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

EH? WHAT DID HE SAY?

😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

they are open, i go lots on sundays!!

andeh

Visit Doncaster, we have chips and betting shops.

But yes, I’ll second Wentworth.

sq225917
    Free Member

Have they fixed the roof on Magna yet, it was shut following gales. Time frame for repair seemed quite a while.

TPTcruiser

Conisborough has a castle in a Walter Scott Ivanhoe sense.
    Near the defunct Earth Centre.
    TPT can take you to Sheffield and Leeds and Barnsley and Chesterfield and Doncaster, if you had the bikes.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Staying in the room with cable TV and a crate of beer is still the best option.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Weekend in Rotherham?’ is closed to new replies.