Weekend in Liverpool – much to do?…

Home Forum Chat Forum Weekend in Liverpool – much to do?…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Weekend in Liverpool – much to do?…
  • Premier Icon the-muffin-man
    Subscriber

…for a non Beatles fan – or is the marketing better than the reality! 🙂

And has anyone stayed at the Titanic hotel? It looks rather interesting.

Ta

Bustaspoke

It depends on what you want…

I go drinking down there every few weeks,lots of good pubs & a lively night scene.Judging by the different accents I hear the place seems popular with people from other parts of the UK & Europe

The Puppets are back in town soon

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/giants-2018-full-routes-timetable-15143293

Premier Icon timbog160
    Subscriber

Loads to do – I’m not a Beatles fan either – maritime museum was highlight for me if that floats your boat!

Premier Icon dirkpitt74
    Subscriber

Maritime museum is pretty cool, plenty of places to eat/drink at Liverpool One.

Always fancied going to the U-boat story at Birkenhead too.

project

Titanic Hotel looks good, an old building re made as a hotel next to Stanly dock, then theres the other titanic hotel on the strand, next to James st station,lots of free museums, ferry to Birkenhead for the U boat story, plenty of cycle routes around and about,lots of eateries pubs/bars etc, freindly people,plenty of police around,huge range of shops,great public transport,and lots more, well worth a visit, Even future PM Mr Corbyn is here this week,

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Go on the ferrrrrrieeeee cross de meeeeeeeeerseeeeey to see the u boat. They’ve got proper enigma machines there.

Then go and score some smack in Kennie, twoc a car and maybe go shoplifting 😉

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

There’s also the Tate Museum in the docks too, along with some good food & drinkeries around there too.

And if you like your architecture there’s some interesting stuff on the river front.

If you’re not restricted to Liverpool centre (and the weather’s ok) it’s worth popping up the road to Crosby to have a look at Another Place.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

If you’re into your architecture then Liverpool has to be one of the best cities in the country. It’s worth going seeing the Anglican Cathedral. It’s amazing!

Also the state has a huge collection of abstract expressionisism and pop art which they rotate

Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

Hitler’s brother lived in a house overlooking the cathedral for a while. Found that out on a walking tour.

Baltic market area is good day and evening for food, drink & music.

Good eggs benedict in the cafe at Woodside ferry terminal in Birkenhead (Home).

Usually once a month on a Sunday there’s a Cars & Coffee at the Chung Ku restaurant a 15 minute walk up the river from the Albert Dock.

rene59

The prostitutes are rough as **** and charge as little as £4* if that’s your thing.

*according to a BBC article last year, not personal experience.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Tate then you can ride to Manchester, it’s not that bad a ride if you ignore the Liverpool bits, and Widnes, Warrington and some of the other stuff close to the M60

Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>rene59
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

The prostitutes are rough as **** and charge as little as £4* if that’s your thing.

*according to a BBC article last year, not personal experience.

</div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

That’s up Kenny way on Sheil Road, I’m sure the city centre ones are much more expensive.

</div>

Hitler’s brother lived in a house overlooking the cathedral for a while. Found that out on a walking tour.

He used to take Adolf to Anfield when he visited, and they both drank in the Thomas Frost.

Great city for bevvying – too many alehouses to name but the Baltic Fleet by the Albert Dock is an easy one to find, v cool looking building.

Went there for the first time for the weekend back in Feb with the SO. We’re not Beatles fans.

Absolutely loved the place. We’re a bit arty, so overloaded on the galleries. Spent all day in the Walker – a truly world-class collection. Tate was nice if you’re into your modern shizzle. Nice Lichtenstein exhibition when we were there. Maritime museum was nice, too. As was the museum of Liverpool (funky modern building).

All of the above were free as I recall.

Really liked the general wandering about. Love all that historic civic pride they’ve got going on – lots of fantastic architecture, feats of engineering etc. Unbelievably, we struggled to find somewhere to eat on the Sat eve – everywhere was absolutely chocker so might be worth your while booking a table somewhere in advance.

Took a train trip up the coast to Crosby to see ‘Another Place’. Quite a spectacle and impossible to photograph successfully.

We stayed in Birkenhead in a cheap B&B and made full use of the excellent Merseyrail. It costs buttons. Trains every couple of minutes.

View of Liverpool from the other side of the Mersey was worth the trip alone.

We never got to do the Cathedrals, but they’re worth a punt if you’re into your architecture and ting.

Head over to West Kirby on Wirral and do a fatbike ride to Hilbre Island and back at low tide.

thecaptain

You could have a day out in Chester 🙂

Premier Icon kennyp
    Subscriber

Half Man Half Biscuit are playing Liverpool this Friday, though I think it may be sold out.

sharkbait

I love Liverpool!

Being in Chester it’s an easy family trip for us – the girls/wife go shopping and I go to the museums/riverside. Eating opportunities are excellent.

donald

Drove there in 1980 to watch Aberdeen play Liverpool.

Took a ferry ‘cross the Mersey, went up an observation tower, saw where the Cavern had been, visited both Cathedrals, drove round the Anfield racetrack, got out and climbed/jumped over Beecher’s Brook, got moved on by the police, went to the match, got gubbed four nil and drove home.

Great weekend

Premier Icon the-muffin-man
    Subscriber

Thanks all – hotel booked (not the Titanic though as £££s at a weekend).

So where are the best places to eat!? Open to most things but not a big fan of Chinese.

sharkbait

I’d highly recommend Mowgli….. Indian Street food. Really excellent.

Got two restaurants a couple of minutes walk from the centre/pier head. The water Street one is great.

I’d book as it’s very busy.

Coyote

Another vote for Mowgli. Food is excellent but be advised to book.

Baltic market / Cains brewery are awesome, lots of choice and some good beers available. Architecture is amazing, worth a walk along the waterfront and stroll up Parliament Street to the Anglican Cathedral before dinner would be worthwhile.

Premier Icon tillydog
    Subscriber

If you’re tempted by the Maritime museum, see if they still do the tours of the old dock excavations (free but you need to book on to them) – Only takes about 30 minutes, but you end up under the port-hole in the pavement outside John Lewis.

Marin

LEAF on Bold Street lively trendy bar/pub. Fast service foods good. Lots of places on same street. Book a table wherever you go town is heaving at weekends. Ask any local where bombed out church is and head there. It’s the best part of town.

sarawak

You absolutely must go to The Phil. Sunday name is The Philarmonic Dining Rooms. Best pub in Liverpool by a mile. On Hope Street. Always a range of beers and good food. Jump in a taxi and just say “The Phil”. Driver will know it.

Architecture to die for. You won’t have been in a pub like it. Don’t be surprised if you see women coming out of the gents toilet. They go in there to look at the ceramics. Honest. They usually post a guard outside!!!

Good eating places on Hope Street. Albert Dock is full of them. Hanover Street too.

Don’t get sucked into paying to go in The Cavern. The original no longer exists. The modern one is just a tourist trap. Not worth the money.

Check the Mersey Ferries website. They are starting doing evening cruises and the waterfront when lit up at night and reflected on the water is super.

Thursday night you can go to the top of the Anglican Cathedral tower for a panoramic view of the city. Worth the mimmal cost.

Williamson Tunnels are worth a visit.

Walker Art Gallery. Visit the Library next door. Go and see the Picton Reading room and the Audubon book Birds of America that is worth £10million!!!!

World Museum. Liverpool Museum on the waterfront near the Tate.

The Catholic Cathedral is worth a visit for modern architecture and glorious stained glass.

Titanic Hotel is a bit out of the centre and in the middle of a refurbishment area. Taxis to town I’m afraid. It is opposite the Tobacco Warehouse. The biggest brick building in the world. 50 million bricks. Being renovated too. See if you can get in and up to the top floors. Worth the effort if you fancy a challenge (I’ve been!)

Another place is overrated. Don’t waste your time going. Buy a postcard.

globalti

The tour of Williamson’s Tunnels is fascinating and baffling.

The Maritime Museum is free with some lovely ship models, the Titanic exhibition is poignant, the Slavery museum excellent and the best explanation I’ve ever seen for Britain’s (and Liverpool’s) involvement in the triangular trade.

A trip out to Port Sunlight is well worth it and the Lady Lever art gallery is excellent, along with the Lever museum.

Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

The Slaughter House is good for live music if you stay towards the centre of town.

Another vote for Mowgli.

SiB

Avoid Matthew Street at night time at all costs. And maybe day time too.

Not sure which weekend you are visiting the area but if its next weekend (fri 4th) the Giants are returning to the city…..google it, fantastic. The route does get very very busy though, beware.

Cant add to any of the above posts as all appears to be well covered – can highly recommend fat bike ride to Hilbre Island from West Kirby at low water over on Wirral.

Keep looking at the top of buildings wherever you go,  amazing architecture everywhere.

You’ll have a memorable, for all the right reasons, weekend

Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

Cars and coffee is on this Sunday

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Avoid Matthew Street at night time at all costs. And maybe day time too.

Why ? I have fantastic memories of many many amazing nights out in the Rubber Soul.

Rich_s

+1 for Williamson tunnels. They’ll mess with your head!

Future tip on booking hotel, the premier Inn in the Albert Dock is ace. It’s just a premier Inn, but it’s all exposed brick inside. I loved it.

Bustaspoke

Why ? I have fantastic memories of many many amazing nights out in the Rubber Soul.

Had some good nights out down Mathew street myself,but neither me nor my mates would go there now.When we’ve walked through there it seems to have a different atmosphere from the rest of town.It seems to attract the stag do / Hen party crowd.

We prefer it up the Hope St. end of town,seems to be a more relaxed atmosphere.

I’m there too this weekend. Taking notes. Anywhere we should go for lobscouse?

Bustaspoke

Just remembered the Terracotta Army are at one of the museums if anyone’s interested..

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/wml/exhibitions/terracotta-warriors/

Premier Icon pedlad
    Subscriber

Went to Uni there many moons ago and finally got around to taking the family earlier this year for a weekend. Really enjoyed it. Sarawak has covered most of the highlights, with the Phil being a must (see McCartney plays the philharmonic on YouTube).

Climb the tower up the Anglican Cathedral – have a chat with the chap at the top as he’s great value.  The Georgian quarter is lovely-we were promted to go after the excellent House Through Time beeb programme. Particularly nice café at the West end of Faulkner St.

The bit around Mathew st/Cavern club is the worst bit of the city so no need to feel obliged to do the Beetles thing.

I’m attempting to find somewhere to eat on Saturday night for five people. Informal, relaxed, not too pricey. Is this moon on a stick dreaming?

Premier Icon the-muffin-man
    Subscriber

Just saying thanks for all the advice!

We went over the weekend and had a great 3 days – so much to do we barely scratched the surface. Will certainly be back.

Went to Mowgli too (great food thanks!), and ‘Den Perry’ came in with two mates and sat behind us. All completely twatted – they thought it was a normal Indian, and the poor waiter just couldn’t get the concept across to them. They just kept asking to poppadoms and pickle trays. He staggered to the bar after 10 mins then they all wobbled out!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.