Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Weekend Away Cycling – Moderate Route ideas?
  • LittleNose
    Free Member

I’ve been absent from the forum for a few years due to many reasons, but tricky times are now out of the way, concluding with what seems like a successful knee replacement (at the end of week 4 now).

Anyways, I got back outdoors on two wheels at the weekend for short ride, and it got me thinking I’d like to plan for a June trip with a couple of old friends to celebrate summer with me back on the bike.

We used to do an annual trip to the Peaks with the Hope888 route being the big ride of our weekend. However, I’m not sure I’m going to be capable of all the gradients & climbing required in the Peaks
    … so was wondering if anyone has any less demanding routes that could be done over a weekend.

Ideally we’d like to enjoy some nice British countryside, with 3 rides (incl 1 big day out), and what would be not too flat, but still considered as low/moderate in fitness & technical ability – I know how good some of you guys are!

IHN

Someone asked a similar question a couple of months ago, and I suggested then what I’ll suggest now – do the Mary Townley Loop over two days. It gets a bit slated onhre as being a bit boring, and doubtless there are more hardcore options in that area, but we did it as a group a few years ago. It was pretty mixed-ability group at that (one experienced, regular Peak rider, a couple of occasional XC bimblers, and one fella who rides a mountain bike once a year). We all had a good laugh and properly enjoyed it.

Stayed in Hebden Bridge Friday night, drove to the top end of the loop on the Saturday morning, parked up at a farm near Lumb, spent the day casually riding back to Hebden, beers and food, then rode back to the cars on Sunday.

ampthill

I’m not quite expert enough to give exact routes. But I think the Cotswolds and North York Moors both offer scenic riding. The terrain is such that you can avoid steep ups and downs. But it’s still technical enough to maintain interest

ElVino

king alfred way perhaps?, C2C or even Trans Cambrian way

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Loads of mixed terrain just outside the Longleat Center PARC’s campus, close enough to ride to Cheddar Gorge area for a long ride.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies with ideas.
    I looked over all the areas proposed, and after looking at the Mary Townley Loop particularly looked good, but maybe too much for me in 2 months time. However, it got me looking at the Pennine Way, and I’m thinking that the Northern section (north of Settle) may fit the bill, with lots of train stations that can be used if I need to bail out early.

BadlyWiredDog

However, it got me looking at the Pennine Way,

Do you mean the Pennine Bridleway?

LittleNose
    Free Member

yes indeed… I like the idea of being able to bail out at many points (train stations), and also being in wide open countryside.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.