Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Weekeend rding Plans + Pics ?!
  • martinhutch

(rut doesn’t cut it!). Oddly, it doesn’t look too bad in the video.

I can confirm it hasn’t improved from your description. 🙂 It’s depressing when you’ve climbed all the way up Kingsdale and end up walking half the way down as well.

PS Lowey. Halloween was weeks ago. 🙂

lowey

Not mine mate…h4muf was struggling so helped out 😀 😆

jekkyl

Half n’ half tarmac & mud tonight, great ride, didn’t feel the cold really.

BoardinBob

Reasonably big day around GT including finding a brand new hidden trail thats’ not even on Strava…

roverpig

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

No pics (as we didnt take any!)

But did a big day out tour of the tweed valley. Rode Peebles to Inners, up Innerleithen hill for a few tracks. Then cafe stop, up golfy side for a couple trails, then over the Lethen climb from the granites to the top of glentress. And a couple trails down to Peebles to finish. 5-6 hours out. 55km.

tazzymtb

super early test ride on Sunday with these bikes and home before the family were awake. Winner

whitestone
    Free Member

Dent to Kingsdale? That’s Occupation Road, just a nightmare, bad enough when it’s (relatively) dry but there’s no way I’d head that way at this time of year. The section from Barbondale to the BW descent to Dent is fine, the section to the next BW junction is OK if you get the right line and it’s not super wet. The last bit to get to the Kingsdale Road is just awful.

@vortexracing – just after the end of your video there’s a farm then Yordas Cave. There’s a BW up past this, a bit of pushing, to pick up an old track that runs parallel to the road through Kingsdale and drops down above Masongill. You can then work back to the BW leading to Ingleton or the one leading back over Twistleton Scars towards Ribblehead. Never been over the first BW over Great Wold in that direction.

martinhutch

here’s a BW up past this, a bit of pushing, to pick up an old track that runs parallel to the road through Kingsdale and drops down above Masongill.

Must admit, I was pretty underwhelmed by that bit too, last time I did it. Plus the farmer had blocked the gateway above Yordas with an utterly massive boulder, which was a complete PITA to even get a bike past! Complained about it to ROW people, to no avail.

The only redeeming feature of the entire ‘Tour of Whernside’ route is probably about a minute or two’s worth of descending off Whernside. 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Do you head back to Ribblehead via the road or the BW over Twistleton Scar End? It’s a short steep and in places techy climb but then you are winding in and out of limestone pavement, gently downhill rather than steep.

martinhutch

The route as described on the YDNP website is clockwise – ie Ribblehead to Twistleton End (mainly bog), then up to above Yordas – doubletrack, kingsdale, then ‘down’ occupation road. The icing on the cake being the long slog up Great Wold.

I can see the argument that it would be better A/C, but then you get a long road descent, two horrible pushes etc.

whitestone
    Free Member

Ribblehead to Twistleton End (mainly bog)

If you are finding mainly boggy ground on that section then you are on the wrong line! There’s a few very short sections of bog but it’s mostly free-draining ground.

martinhutch

Didn’t feel very free draining this summer! Wasn’t the worst part of the ride by any means, but felt like a bit of a slog anyway.

lowey

The only redeeming feature of the entire ‘Tour of Whernside’ route is probably about a minute or two’s worth of descending off Whernside

**crosses it off the list**

martinhutch

**crosses it off the list**

It’s not really up there with a cheeky lap of the Fairfield Horseshoe on a cold, crisp, November day. 🙂

pennine
    Free Member

Bit of cave biking in Yordas 🙂

Vortexracing

@vortexracing – just after the end of your video there’s a farm then Yordas Cave. There’s a BW up past this, a bit of pushing, to pick up an old track that runs parallel to the road through Kingsdale and drops down above Masongill.

We were going to do that bit, but my legs had given up and we ran out of daylight

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Weekeend rding Plans + Pics ?!’ is closed to new replies.