Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Week out of date lamb- will it kill us?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

We’ve got a lamb joint in our fridge. I meant to put it in the freezer but forgot- it went off on the 11th. It’s a supermarket bit of meat so presumably has some preserve-a-magic in it. It’s not discoloured at all- will we die if we eat it?

Answers ASAP please, it’s bin night and I need to know whether to get it out the house before it attracts the rats.

Thanks!

ton

if it don’t smell, it will be fine.

eskay

Does it smell?

bruneep

it went off on the 11th.

really?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Correction- use by is the 11th.

No smell.

Eyepic
    Free Member

I think if it smells OK ..it is good to eat.
    If I am wrong and you die… Will you update the thread so that I give better advice next time.

Thanks.

shermer75
    Free Member

No smell = lamb roast for dinner tomorro night at munrobiker’s house. Lucky bugger

cheez0
    Free Member

If its a bit ‘sweaty’give it a rinse under the tap.

Roast or tagine..

Nomnom and indeed nom.

Cheers

Butchy.

Northwind

If you leave it too long it stops being lamb and is just mutton

CountZero

Don’t let Molgrips, Toys, etc, catch you talking about eating lamb, it’s morally indefensible.

toys19
    Free Member

will it kill us?

did you kill it?

PS count Zero read my response on that thread, aimed directly at you xx …

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have a colleague who specializes in preparing rotten meat…. hes pretty handy in west africa – cuts off the bits that you really shouldnt eat and then incinerates the rest … we havnt got sick yet ………

hora
    Free Member

Everytime I ride past lambs in fields I think of mint sauce n lamb

oldnpastit

Humans are very sensitive to the smell of rotting meat.

ton

curry was invented so you can eat rotten meat………FACT!! 😆

andyl
    Free Member

^ so it’s not actually the chillies and spices giving you the squits then? 😀

hooli

Crack on, you would know if it was off by the smell and colour.

Worst case scenario is you eat it and it is good for a 2 or 3 kilo weight loss 😉

hora
    Free Member

Going to be honest though- if in doubt I’d rather bin £9 than suffer food poisoning. They’ll be howls of ‘but cooked etc etc’- at the end of the day if you are doubtful, will you really enjoy the act of eating it?

ransos
    Free Member

How do you tell if meat from the butcher is fit to eat?

I’d rather trust my senses than a supermarket label…

toys19
    Free Member

cooking to a crisp may not prevent you from getting the squits, your body can react to dead bacteria to give you a good dose of the green apple splatters.

wwaswas

How do you tell if meat from the butcher is fit to eat?

This is my wife’s attitude.

So she buys all our meat from the supermarket where it has a nice date label on it.

bigjim

post it to me if you aren’t going to eat it!

ransos
    Free Member

So she buys all our meat from the supermarket where it has a nice date label on it.

🙂

I’ve thrown away meat that’s within date.

trail_rat
    Free Member

so no one ssaw the paper yesterday on how supermarket fish was found in several cases to be almost rotten before you get it.

if left till the use by date it would have been 3 weeks dead.

Ill trust my nose more than a date – ive bought chicken thats been well witnin date before that ive opened the packet and just about been sick – straight in the bin. If it smells good , isnt discoloured it goes on my plate.

toys19
    Free Member

linky?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i would scan in my copy of the paper like an actual paper made of paper that doesnt need batteries but its on the back of the seat on an a721 somewhere between london and baku.

was either the record or the daily wail (freebies on the plane im not a regular 😉 )

trail_rat
    Free Member

was the daily wail

How your supermarket ‘fresh’ fish can be THREE weeks old: Seafood bought from the big four was only two days away from rotting•Fish technician tested samples and found a third were close to going off
    •’Unaccpetable’ products had been on left on ice for more than 10 days

•Fish displayed for seven days deemed to be in the lower limit of acceptability

This week, in order to find out just how fresh the fish we eat actually is, I watched as Michaela Archer, a fish technician with 17 years of experience, used an industry standard testing system, the Torry scale, to assess pieces of cod, plaice and salmon bought from the big four supermarkets and an independent fishmonger.
    Of the 12 supermarket samples, a third failed to meet even the minimum level of acceptability of ten days since the fish came out of the water. In other words, they were just a couple of days away from rotting.

Michaela, who works at Seafish, a government body that promotes the fishing industry, said that these four samples provided an ‘unpleasant eating experience’ — a verdict I can confirm.
    Another six of the supermarket samples were hovering around the minimum level of acceptability, while only two pieces of the supermarket fish bought were found to score above it.
    Michaela said that the results were ‘resoundingly disappointing’.
    ‘This is a limited assessment of a small number of samples of fish,’ she said.

I come from a fishing town where you could get fish at market when i was young – the difference between supermarket fish and fresh fish is noticable.

now we also shopped at the butchers at home – the difference again between the butchers and the supermarket is noticable

the difference between tomatoes/cucumber/grapes out the green house or veg out the ground and those at the supermarket is wildly different

For the prices to be down to what supermarkets charge something has to give – and it seems to be that the quality has to give.

footflaps

Interesting they combine politics and rotting fish

the Tory scale

A method whereby they place the fish next to a Tory MP. If the dead fish complains about the stench of corruption coming from the MP, then it’s considered safe to eat.

hora
    Free Member

trail rat then buy frozen?

trail_rat
    Free Member

hora – not sure if your trolling or just stupid….

Pieface

So I guess there is truth in the ‘Use by ‘ dates by the absence of an update from the OP

Weasel
    Free Member

Leave it out for the foxes – or throw it over your neighbours fence to encourage them to feast elsewhere.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shirley even if it’s off you can just incinerate it and you’ll be OK, albeit it may taste minging?

toys19
    Free Member

Shirley even if it’s off you can just incinerate it and you’ll be OK, albeit it may taste minging?

are you still ignoring my posts?

toys19 – Member
    cooking to a crisp may not prevent you from getting the squits, your body can react to dead bacteria to give you a good dose of the green apple splatters.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Perhaps it was already out of date, and you were fleeced by the shop you bought it from.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Lamb will be ok I reckon, give it a rinse before you smell it and if it smells ok then go for it.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

On the fish thing, I did buy som sea bass fillets from a supermarket fish counter, that were pretty much rotten. They looked ok from a distance, but were kicking up and a minging when I got them home. The supermarket gave me a full refund and new (fresh) seabass fillets or free.

Cougar

curry was invented so you can eat rotten meat………FACT!!

curry was invented so you can eat rotten meat………URBAN MYTH!!

This is an old wives’ tale probably rooted in xenophobia, “look what those grubby foreigners are doing” sort of thing.

anono

I reckon CFH is right – it’s the shop trying to pull the wool over your eyes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Week out of date lamb- will it kill us?’ is closed to new replies.