Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Weehoo trailer
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Has anyone got any experience of these?

I have two kids, a four and a half year old who, despite best efforts, seems to struggle a bit with bikes. She enjoys riding but lacks commitment to get going and any kind of tumble is met with tears and a distinct lack of enthusiasm. The two year old seems to be a bit more kamikaze about things. So looking at the two child and the one child trailers.

My only concern is that there seems to be a lot of additional stress going through the seatpost area, particularly with the two child one although they say they can take kids up to 9.

Weeride is out, I like the principle and the kids enjoy it but the knee out style causes me too many issues with an old leg injury.

Bewilderedsassanack

Had one for a couple of years. Great for when I want to do a longer ride with the (now) 6 year old. It attaches low down on the seat post and I’ve been running it on a dropper nil issues. I upgraded the rear tyre (&ghetto tubeless) and put a thick foam seat pad in for off road.

Gotama
    Free Member

Encouraging, thanks.

dangodwin

I have one but only used for one child so far. I have it attached to my carbon superfly and it hasn’t exploded.   When assembled you are towing a very long vehicle so have to be careful around the corners, with one child it is already quite heavy.  Also anything other than riding  very cumbersome, getting off and removing your child/children without injuring them is a challenge on your own.

arrpee
    Free Member

Used mine with my daughter from the ages of about 4-6, for fairly gentle off-road stuff and ferrying around town when the car wasn’t available.

They feel fine in use and have a decent level of off-road capability (although I’d echo the above qualifications regarding length and weight). The addition of a padded seat sounds like a good shout.

Attachment to the seat post didn’t cause me any issues.

The biggest drawback, again noted above, is the lack of stability when stationary. When you stop, you basically have to dismount, about turn and straddle your rear wheel, pinching it between your legs to hold the bike and trailer up as you unbuckle your passenger.

Gotama
    Free Member

Hadn’t thought about the dismount issues! Sounds like I am over faffing on the seatpost issue though. Length sounds like a reasonable reason to go for the single seater though as that, I would assume, would shorten it slightly. That said I once rode up front on a tandem with a kiddy trailer attached to the back and managed to avoid disaster!

al2000

As others have noted, setup and (dis)mounting is a bit faffy. Overall though ours has been great, my kids have had loads of fun with it.

Another thing to consider is that the WeeHoo is big and heavy and takes up a lot of room in a car, so trips further afield can be awkward.

Mine (mk1) will up for sale soon too – PM me if interested.

dangodwin

Also you need to put some spacers under the seatpost attachment to keep it further up the seatpost if using on a 29er.  Unless I am just doing it wrong.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

I bought a used one last year to use with my 3yr old granddaughter. I must admit it hasn’t been used much yet. I mainly have carbon road & MTBs but did set up a rigid MTB with an ally frame & seat-post to use with it. A full suss – would make it bob too much. They are great things & my granddaughter loved it – but as said – they are long & you need to take care in tight bends; & holding the bike up while embarking / disembarking is a challleng. A centre stand for the Weehoo (if they do one) or for the bike would help.

riddoch

Kickstands are your answer to getting off and on the bike. you can get one for the weehoo itself which is handy also when it’s not connected to the bike.

it worked fine with my 29er but might depended where the frame ends and the seatpost starts.

If you are near sussex I am about to sell our one now my daughter has moved onto her own bike.

ransos
    Free Member

Yes. I did about 60 miles over last weekend with my four year old on board. She loves it. I do need to look at the kickstand as it is quite cumbersome when stopped. I use headset spacers under the hitch so it will clear the pannier rack. Nothing has broken, and the rear rack is handy for camping trips. I like to use a bar bag so I have some weight over the front end.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Weehoo trailer’ is closed to new replies.