Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Weedkiller – is there a cheap way of killing weeds
  • large418
    Free Member

I used to use Sodium Chlorate to kill weeds on my drive, but as you can't buy it any more, what is a good (and cheap) alternative? The various weedkillers in the garden centre seem to be about £20 for 5 litres. I have a big drive with lots of weeds (and not much money).

And before you suggest it, pulling them out is not an option (drive is too big and too many weeds).

Need something quite potent as they are thistles, moss, grass and dandelions.

Thanks

joolsburger
    Free Member

Blowtorch.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Bombers!

Mounty_73

Salty water, dries them up and kills them. Large bags of salt are cheap.

I am sure someone will say its not a good idea, but its cheap and it does work.

large418
    Free Member

Salty water sounds good – I tried some neat salt on some thistles in the lawn and it killed them OK.

It's kind of friendly to the environment – the sea is full of the stuff!

dmiller
    Free Member

Diesel. Job done.

Also, I hear, good for drawing a large penis in someones garden.

Mounty_73

Yes you can use just salt, but salty water will get absorbed into the weeds and kill them off quite quickly.

Alphabet

I too have lots of weeds but on a lawn. I'm guessing salty water will kill off the grass even if I only spray the weeds?

donald
    Free Member

To kill weeds in a lawn you need Verdone. Available at any garden centre.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Get my dog to piss on them. Seems to kill everything it touches in my garden!

Drac

Ah Verdone probably what I need I thnk it's Lesser Trefoil that has over taken my lawn.

Mounty_73

Dont use salty water on the grass or close to anything that grows.

john_drummer
    Free Member

burn them

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My inlaws have a paraffin burning blow torch which I often borrow – it's like setting a jet afterburner in the weeds! Can't find the link but it's pretty spectacular!

Edit – this is the one!

Death burner

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

Hypochlorite (or ide I think !!) used in the dairy industry for sterilising milking pipes etc. Use it neat and it will kill virtually anything !!! About £14 for 25 litres

large418
    Free Member

Thanks Sillyoldhector – that looks like great stuff – probably kill me as well as the weeds!

Surf Mat – I was thinking of a burner, but £175? Cheaper to pour petrol over a set light to it.

I think salty water is the favourite so far

sundaywobbler

Antifreeze, as in motor vehicle coolant. Wonderful stuff for killing just about everything, including humans if given a high enough dosage 😯

smiffy

Get to an agrochemical merchant and buy the cheapest gylphosate (used to be called RoundUp, but Monsanto's patent has expired)you need sod all to spray a big area and it's safer for people and critters than many of the ideas above.

bighendo
    Free Member

dandelions or any deep rooted perennial weeds
    eg couch grass, bind weed, creeping thistle there is only one solution
    as smiffy said Glyphosate
    beware it comes in different strengths and you can pay top dollar for piss,
    builders merchants, agrochemical merchants etc in gallon containers, not cheap but …
    and, if you want cheap … boiling water
    salt water will will not be absorbed it will cause dehydration
    ……………..osmosis anyone?

Mounty_73

Yes, sorry 'absorbed' was the wrong word, but it will kill them dead 🙂

Plus its harmless to pets etc.

coffeeking
    Free Member

but it will kill them dead

As opposed to killing them not dead?

Glyphosate works reasonably well but I'm still chasing hoards around my patio despite monthly dosings.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Maybe you need a weed eating critter, like a guinea pig

mhailo
    Free Member

Vinegar mixed with salt. Get a big bag of salt from Tescos etc. 'bout 40p, and 2+ cheapest vinegar (30p). Spray on, give it half a day, and they're dead. Worked on our patio atleast! 😛

Mounty_73

but it will kill them dead
    As opposed to killing them not dead?

Glyphosate works reasonably well but I'm still chasing hoards around my patio despite monthly dosings.

I meant it in the way, that whatever you call it….it will kill them ! 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Large – that's why I just borrow one 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Weedkiller – is there a cheap way of killing weeds’ is closed to new replies.