Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wee ride, for a half pint parent
  • bigG
    Free Member

So I’m not blessed with the stature of a NBA basketball player, 5’9″ on a good day, I ride a small MTB, and cross bike. I’ve tried installing a standard wee ride today, and it’s just not going to work, there’s not enough room between me and the bars to fit the little un in. The back of the seat was just about rubbing on my front. Getting on and off, nearly impossible.

I’m looking for an alternative, is there one? Maybe one that sits lower,or further forward? Or, am I going to have to resort to the rear mounted child seat, which I can probably mount on the cross bike.

Suggestions please…

2tyred

If you’ve got around an inch of space between your stem and headset, these are great.

Used one for both my kids on a number of my bikes and also on Mrs Tyred’s small bike. Really good bit of kit.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have also been looking into this as I have a 5 month old which I will be getting out on the bike as soon as possible. After doing plenty of Google research, I reckon the iBert that 2tyred recommends is the best option.
    Unfortunately I have trimmed the steerer on both my bikes fairly short. My Covert has the option of 20mm of spacers below the stem with a shuffle around. Will this be enough for the iBert?
    2tyred, did you split the stem spacers to help the ‘stinger’ clamp tighten sufficiently? Or is it ok, tight enough not to swivel, with intact stem spacers?

2tyred

Just fitted the clamp straight onto the spacers, both alloy and carbon spacers were fine. You might get away with 20mm – I can measure the space needed later tonight and let you know if you want?

GW
    Free Member

Lower your saddle an inch or so and tilt the nose upwards (like a jump bike) and get on the bike from behind.

Weeride fits my 14″ hardtail fine.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

2tyred, I would appreciate the info, thanks.
    How old was your sibling before you strapped them in?

Sandwich

Unfortunately I have trimmed the steerer on both my bikes fairly short.

This is a fork upgrade opportunity if sold to SWMBO carefully.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have topped out on fork spec already. F 120’s on my Decade Virtue and 36 Talas on the Covert. I quite like the idea of having a kiddy seat on the Covert.

igm

For the on and off, get whichever dropper seat post works for you.

Works a treat, far easier to load child as you can straddle the bike, and it’s a legitimate family-endorsed reason to get a dropper post.

The Weeride has been on both my Alpine 160 (18″) and my wife’s Five (14″). Both work.

bigG
    Free Member

Even with the reverb dropper post the wee ride was just not doing it for us, knees bashing off it, and Amelia’s helmet bumping off my chin just isn’t what we’re looking for.

I’ll have a look at the ibert, looks like it’ll do the job, and a money back guarantee if it’s it suitable.

mangoridebike

We’ve got the ibert and it is great, my daughter loves it also 🙂

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

What age did you gys start putting the little ones in the iBert. I am keen as mustard to get him out but dont want to break his neck.

mangoridebike

my daughter went in hers when she was about 18 months old. we waited until she was completely happy wearing her helmet and also able to support the weight of it as she was moved around.

2tyred

About 6 months or so I think, once they were comfortable sitting up.

Several rides ended with a small sleeping head resting in the crook of my arm!

EDIT – I’m completely useless at remembering what happened when, so it might have been later than that! Certainly before they were a year old though.

EDIT part 2 – My kids have outgrown it, so happy to sell it on once I’ve found it. Got the seat, fixing pin and two stinger clamps. If anyone wants a shot to see how it fits, I’m just outside Glasgow. Email in profile.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

OP should get first dibs. I am miles away in Hampshire anyway.

bigG
    Free Member

2tyred, I’m just outside Stirling, would be great to see how this fits, and take it off your hands if you’re done with it. I’ll email you.

2tyred

No worries bigG.

Jef Wachowchow – just measured the clamp. If you have a clear 20mm of spacer height it’ll fit (unless the design has changed since I bought ours). The bit that clamps round the steerer measures 19mm.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wee ride, for a half pint parent’ is closed to new replies.