Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • WeBuyAnyCar – asking for a friend!…
  • the-muffin-man

So if my friend were to sell a car to them that had a known, but intermittent, starting problem that couldn’t be traced. Would there be any comeback once they had handed over the cash to my friend, if say the following day the car wouldn’t start.

I’d never condone such a thing of course.

Cougar

Buyer beware, innit.

andypaul
    Free Member

We buy any car purchases end up at auction, selling under a variety of named sales.
    I wouldnt worry, once the car is signed over the deal is done.
    The only possible thing to watch out for is any evidence that the starting problem is documented not only by reciepts but also on main dealer records , which they may want to / be able to access prior to them buying the car.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pocpoc
    Free Member

We sold a Focus to them a few years ago. Sills, wheel arches and Door were going rusty – couldn’t be bothered with tyre kickers for the little it was worth.
    There was a hole in the exhaust that was pretty noisy, so on the morning I wrapped it in one of those cheap exhaust bandage kits for about £3.99 and hoped it held.
    Got there, all they were bothered about was that it started so they could roll it through an auction house.

So, if the intermittent problem doesn’t present itself the one time they start it while you’re there then take their money and run.

superstu
    Free Member

In my (one, many years ago) experience they knock so much off from their original ‘offer’ price, then you’ll get less than you hope anyway. Maybe they’ve improved since then, but I’d just chuck straight into the auction myself.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Their goal is well below 80% of what they offer online. I get the feeling any employee that pays above 80% would pretty much get the sack on the spot.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’d just chuck straight into the auction myself.

That doesn’t really address the OPs problem. Personally, I have no moral objection to selling a car with a known fault to WBAC.com because they’re a trader. I wouldn’t be willing to do the same via an auction because that’s selling direct to someone who might not be a trader.

IME cars sold on Ebay for spares/repair seem to be highly desirable so being honest about the fault is perhaps the easiest way to deal with the disposal of a car with a known fault.

Cougar

In my (one, many years ago) experience they knock so much off from their original ‘offer’ price, then you’ll get less than you hope anyway. Maybe they’ve improved since then, but I’d just chuck straight into the auction myself.

As a friend once said of his experience with We Buy Any Car, “so do I at that price, ****!”

kayak23

They didn’t want to buy my Fiesta when I was getting rid of it a few years back.

Makes you think..

catfood
    Free Member

My car’s worth about a grand, fifteen hundred on a good day, they keep emailing me and offering me £50 for it.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

They’re definitely the lowest of low ball offers.

Depends if that’s ok with you. Personally, I think I’d be ok with, erm, how to say, “temporarily fixing a fault” in order to sell to them.

beej

They’re owned by British Car Auctions, essentially a way of them getting extra stock to sell. If he’s happy selling at the price they offer, go ahead.

pjm84
    Free Member

They seem to have changed their procedure at the moment. They have an office next to mine. They now run the car during the bodywork inspection (which can be annoying when its outside my door) . This can take up to 5mins. If it runs that long all good. They will take any car.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

I sold my Tuguan to them… they were £1k more than anyone else and when I got there the offer went up by £150!

Great bunch of lads etc

The alloys needed a refurb and there was a ding that needed sorted on the rear bumper, I’d had quotes on what they’d cost me to repair. So when they knocked off their price* for each repair I showed them the quotes I’d got and asked if they’d match my repair quotes.. they did, happy days. 👍🏻

*arbitrary number made up in the spot

poly
    Free Member

Their goal is well below 80% of what they offer online. I get the feeling any employee that pays above 80% would pretty much get the sack on the spot.

I used one of their competitors, who follow a similar MO, but who collect from your house. They tried to knock money off for a faulty electric window. I told the collection agent (who had travelled from Preston to Edinburgh) that since they never asked about electric windows working on their long list of questions to generate a quote they had wasted his time and he could go away. I got a phone call from his boss 2 minutes later and the agreed price was Ok after all!

crazy-legs

I used them many years ago to take a right old banger. They offered I think about £500. I ran it down to virtually zero fuel, handed it over and they knocked about £50 off for something or other which I was sort of expecting. Anyway, I took the tax disc out of it to claim a refund and rode off home; the WBAC money was in my account within a few hours.

revs1972
    Free Member

They offered me £2k more than Ford when I wanted to trade my T5 kombi in for a Custom.
    Never took them up on it.
    Must get round to selling it soon .

toby1

They’ll hammer you so much on price that by the time you give them keys you’ll hope it blows up just as you leave. In my experience.

weeksy

I took a Kia Soul, they valued at £5250 online, gave me £5200 when I arrived. Was happy enough.

meeeee
    Free Member

Used them twice, as long as you are honest about damage when you fill the online form in then you don’t get loads knocked off when they actually see it. Both times they paid more than dealers would part exchanging

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘WeBuyAnyCar – asking for a friend!…’ is closed to new replies.