Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Website design – for idiots! Advice please.
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

Just been informed that our company (Project Management in construction industry) needs to develop a proper website, and I have been put forward as ‘the man for the job’.
    No experience beyond websurfing, and no technological nous to speak of. However, the challenge is good and the opportunity for a learning curve cannot be denied.
    I believe that we’ll be getting some professionals in, so that’s the hard part taken care of

Are there any web resources you good people might suggest as helpful for getting a grip on the terminology used, or the pitfalls to be aware of?
    Also, we’re based near Glasgow, so a local website design house for local companies may be best.

Thanks

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and I have been put forward as ‘the man for the job… and no technological nous to speak of.

why ??

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Good question.
    Can’t answer it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It’s hard to answer your question, as I don’t know HOW I got the knowledge I have. I had our club website dumped in my lap in 2002, when I knew nothing about the web – though with 18 years experience as a programmer…

coogan
    Free Member

I’ve just started in the world of webdigial malarky through my work too. Did some course’s with a company through here in Edinburgh called Tidalfire who were very good. I’ve bought loads of books to read and there is so much free info available on the web its self. Understanding HTML isn’t that difficult once someone explains it to you I found and I’m currently getting my head round CSS which ain’t as hard as I thought it would be.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Understanding HTML isn’t that difficult once someone explains it to you I

I think MikeT-23 would need to steer well clear of that kind of detail and concentrate on objectives and possibilities

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Actually CSS doesn’t seem that hard going. I quite enjoyed their first album…..

Obviously, I jest.

But, we have an IT guy who, whilst flat out with other issues, can contribute greatly once we set a target.
    And, SFB, tbh I think I may have been volunteered for the task to give me some focus and something to do while I get to grips with this fairly new career field of construction PM.
    Let’s just say I’m glad to have a job to come to of a day.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Let’s just say I’m glad to have a job to come to of a day.

OK, but one does not recruit a dentist to mend a toilet…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Website design – for idiots! Advice please.’ is closed to new replies.