• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Website / communications portal creation (site builder) advice.
  • Premier Icon jameso

Hoping this is a good place for a tip for IT and bike related questions –

I need to put a page/site/forum/facebook group tool together, something that allows creative collaboration within a fairly small group. I’m not in a position to pay much for development so Wix etc type tools are the main option.

Needs to enable –

access to a new member via existing members – self-generating moderation rights

easy upload of small files, images, commenting and some linking

offer some privacy or barrier to access

– ie a closed or private facebook group that’s not a facebook group (clear reasons why FB won’t work, although functionally it’s ideal)

I’ve also looked at Linkedin groups (poor functionality) and Wix, Weebly etc (poor community access ability) as well as forum builders (a bit dry or lacking any layout flexibility or much opportunity for pull/engagement)

Any suggestions, subscription based services, modest cost development possibilities or anything else? Thanks

Premier Icon PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve used WordPress a few times, running it as a site (as opposed to a blog). It’s fairly simple once you get your head around how it works and very adaptable.

I also started digging into the code to alter the theme which ate time, but if you don’t want to do this you can have something up and running fairly quickly.

Premier Icon Cougar

clear reasons why FB won’t work, although functionally it’s ideal

I was reading all this thinking “what you really need here is a Facebook group.”  Google Plus then, maybe?

Premier Icon leffeboy

Groups.io isn’t bad for some stuff. A bit like a supercharged version of Yahoo groups.  Sign up with an email but if you have Gmail you can avoid having yet another password to remember.  Largely free unless you need a lot if storage so just give it a shot

Premier Icon allthegear
    Free Member

How about Open Social? https://www.getopensocial.com/

.Rachel

Premier Icon kcr
    Free Member

I’d second WordPress. If you have basic IT skills it’s straightforward to set up on your own hosting (a lot of hosting companies will actually include one click WordPress installation in their basic hosting packages). If you want to make it even simpler (but not quite so flexible) you can use WordPress.com and get it hosted out of the box. Once you have it installed, you don’t need any special IT skills to create pages and tweak the design – it’s all fairly self explanatory.

Wordpress is so widely used that there are lots of online tutorials to help explain how to use it, and countless themes and plugins available to help you tailor it to your requirements.

Premier Icon trickydisco
    Free Member

Worth looking at Yammer.  The subscription model looks fairly cheap $3 a month per use i rememebr seeing

EDIT: they no longer offer standalone yammer subscription it’s all baked into office 365

Premier Icon trickydisco
    Free Member

Or  an office 365 subscription

https://products.office.com/en-gb/business/compare-more-office-365-for-business-plans

https://products.office.com/en-gb/compare-all-microsoft-office-products?tab=2

which will give you yammer, exchange, oneDrive, (1TB storage) skype for business, teams and sharepoint + 24/7 phone support £6/user per month

I don’t work for microsoft but use it extensively at work

Premier Icon kcr
    Free Member

I haven’t used it, so can’t comment on how well it would suit you, but Google Sites might also be worth a look. It gives you an easy way to publish collaborative websites.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Website / communications portal creation (site builder) advice.’ is closed to new replies.