Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Web Hosting issues WordPress phishing
  • pampmyride
    Free Member

Any web hosting experts out there: Web Hosting issues: I run our trial (motorcycle) club web page plus a couple more blogs – all are using WordPress. I was using Vidahost since 2010 in they morphed into Paragon, Then TSO a year or so ago. Up until 2018 I had 4 issues with phishing/malware hacks reported. In 2018 I’ve had at least 12 reports from Netcraft, resulting in web site closure & a scan from TSO to confirm dodgy files. TSO scan often shows more apparently dodgy files than Netcraft but say their scan is not 100% accurate (what is the point in that!!) So my question is is this the new norm or is TSO crap & I need to find a proper host who’s not cutting corners? If so suggestions please as sorting above is a pain. Thanks, Mike

whitestone
    Free Member

Wordpress does seem to be targeted quite a lot. Lots of versions together with untold number of plugins is a security nightmare! If you can, update to the latest versions and check for security patches.

The host I use got hacked a year or so ago and even though my site doesn’t use WordPress the hack still put the hacked files (index.php and some other stuff) in to my HTML root. I could sort most of it out but some files and folders had been given strange permissions so I couldn’t delete them and had to get my provider to do that.

Drac

The common weak point with WordPress is poor or scripts that have not been updated.

Gowrie
    Free Member

I’d be pointing the finger at WordPress rather than your web hosting TBH.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

I’ve only ever had issues with WordPress was on cheaper shared hosting (Servage/Dreamhost etc) which was usually down to someone on the same shared server having unsecure/old scripts being hacked, which led to 3rd party files/injections on my webspace. The WordFence plugin should help eliminate most issues. I’ve never had WordPress hacked on a decent host.

alexxx
    Free Member

Yeah you’re at fault mate – crap site files / plugins etc… you’d be best getting someone to professionally migrate the content and user base to somewhere clean and secure rather than trying to keep patching what you’ve got.

pampmyride
    Free Member

Using Word fence. So, lets try recommendations for budget web hosting then…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Web Hosting issues WordPress phishing’ is closed to new replies.