Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Weavers Down – Planning Application for a golf course
  • Yak

I’m sure there are a few folk here who regularly ride the trails on Weaver’s Down near Liphook. Trails like Weavers ST, Queens Road to the Deers Hut etc.

There has been an application by Old Thorns to turn Weavers Down into a golf course.

The consultation response deadline is the 19th December.
    Now if you are keen on these trails and would like to register a response, please do so using this link:

http://planningpublicaccess.southdowns.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=makeComment&keyVal=MMVXHYTU02200

Now, whilst loss of trails may be your primary concern, the main grounds for objection need to be based in planning policy terms. I’ve not been over this in detail yet, but as suggested to me, the likely main reasons for objection are:

•The land consists of three commons all of which are subject to the Commons Act (2006) and the creation of a golf course would interrupt the commoners’ rights.
    •The land is designated as an Open Access area under the CROW Act (2000). Once the golf course is built, access will be via public rights of way only, making the land, in effect, no longer Open Access under the terms of the Act as the general public would not be allowed to use parts of the course that only golfers can use.
    •There is an obvious need to protect the flora & fauna, particularly on the SSSI where there are some of our most precious reptiles, in particular the Sand Lizard.

•There is also a need to link lowland heaths on a greater, landscape scale making it possible for wildlife to move from one to the next, thereby increasing their range.

So, if you are a local/regular to Weavers Down, please take the time to review the application and respond as it will be in your interest to do so.

thanks

Yak

lunchtime bump

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Weavers Down – Planning Application for a golf course’ is closed to new replies.