Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Weather App for iPhone
  • bigblackshed

The Met Office app has recently stopped working. What’s the app of choice for consistent accurate weather forecasting.

The first person to say “Got a window? Open it!” Gets a hoof in the slats.

😉

cloudnine
    Free Member

Yr weather, xc weather, windguru

jekkyl

the met office one have released a new version.

oikeith

the met office one have released a new version.

I find the new one quite horrid compared to the simplicity of the old one!

Will give the others mentioned ago instead.

MSP

Weatherpro, seems the most accurate of the ones I have tried, it is a yearly subscription, but that is because access to the data used for predictions actually costs money.

jekkyl

I find the new one quite horrid compared to the simplicity of the old one!

I agree entirely. I hate the way that you need an internet connection to even get the forecast up. On the previous one it still showed the forecast even in a G signal area. A backwards step I think.

beaker

Dark Sky has been good for me.

grum
    Free Member

+1 for Weather Pro

prawny

I am the only one that uses the Beeb?

Its been accurate enough for me to plan my commute attire for the last year. Just need to knock 2deg off the temps in the morning.

JAG

prawny – No. I was just about to say that I use the BBC weather App.

I think it’s pretty good for the next 24 hours, OK for the next 72 hours and not so good for everything after that (which is the same for all weather prediction in my opinion)

I’ve also noticed that early morning temp’s seem to be ‘out’ a bit. It has caused me some discomfort on previous commutes but I hadn’t noticed a trend!

stevextc
    Free Member

I still find the Met Office [list]website [/list]most useful for planning weekend riding.
    I’m most interested in precipitation percent as if possible I’d like to start/stop before it chucks it down. I find it incredibly accurate (given what goes into it and the models that have to be run) …

zilog6128

IMO the BBC weather app accuracy has invariably been a bag of shite for the last year or so (at least). Just Googled that WeatherPro app… it is by MeteoGroup who are taking over the BBC forecasting this year (very soon, if they haven’t already as it was supposed to changeover in Spring). So presumably the BBC weather app will be using the same data as WeatherPro? Would there be any merit in buying/subscribing to WeatherPro in that case?

ivorlott
    Free Member

Windfinder is good, with a bit of a watersports slant…

peteimpreza

Whichever one you choose , check where they take the observations from to generate your forecasts .

On Weather pro they base the forecast for my home location on observations made at a RAF base 35 miles away !!

darrell
    Free Member

yr

living earth

thecaptain
    Free Member

If they don’t base the forecast on…a forecast model then it’s a complete waste of time for starters.

Beeb is fine for me, though I don’t expect too much from it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I asked the boss/weather-app/weather-addict and she says –

‘None are accurate, they are all bolx – saying that, try ‘wunderground’

dirtydog
    Free Member

Windytv

bigblackshed

Thanks chaps.

I’ve just downloaded the new Met Office app and it’s bloody horrible. Time to try the suggestions above.

ourmaninthenorth

I was also a MetOffice user and had the same stopped working/new app challenge at the weekend.

New one seems OK, though agreed not nearly so simple. Needing an internet connection is a fail.

So I’ve resorted to the native iPhone app. Seems OK to me

Jamie
    Free Member

Carrot.

You’ll turn off the voice soonish, but it’s actually pretty accurate and well thought out.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-STnUiuIhlw[/video]

Nico
    Free Member

Just remember that whatever app you use to display the “forecast” (many are just displaying raw models) it’s only as good as the underlying data. Many sites/apps use the US forecast data because they make it publicly available for nothing, whereas the Met Office charge. The Met Office is a forecast with human intervention and they will use data from other models as well as their own. Meteo Group will also use data from various sources including the Met Office. In ditching the Met Office as their provider the BBC has effectively switched the service provider but not necessarily the data. Meteo Group are Dutch iirc.

I use the BBC on my phone and find it’s incredibly accurate for a day or so. Longer range depends on what the weather is doing – blocking high or succession of complex lows?

jambalaya
    Free Member

xc weather (as per @cloudnine, windguru is excellent too)
    bbc one is ok

MSP

So presumably the BBC weather app will be using the same data as WeatherPro? Would there be any merit in buying/subscribing to WeatherPro in that case?

Maybe just the way the predictions are presented, and are easily understood by the reader. I regularly ride with people from eumetsat, and mostly their weather app of choice seems to be weatherpro (I am in Germany so not fully comparable with the UK).

For full comedy value I can recommend accuweather, they even seem to be able to wrongly predict weather that has already happened.

bigblackshed

Accuweather should really be named In-Accuweather.

I’ve watched rain falling with the app suggesting glorious sunshine and vice-versa. It’s a waste of screen space.

CountZero

WeatherPro FTW. It’s Meteogroup’s app, who are based in the Nederlands, and Meteogroup are the forecasting organization who the Beeb have changed to from the Met Office.
    The satellite view and precipitation radar are excellent, you can watch the weather making its way across the country.
    I’ve been using it for as long as I’ve been using a smartphone, around seven years, and none of the other apps are as clear and easy to use.

graemecsl
    Free Member

+1 for Weather pro and their spin off ‘Rain Today’ which we were at a rainy barbecue once and it was accurate to the minute as to when the rain came and went. For sailing I tend to XC weather mainly because I live within a triangle of airports, it was primarily an app for airplane enthusiasts.

vickypea
    Free Member

I find a pine cone on a stick to be pretty good

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Weather App for iPhone’ is closed to new replies.