Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wearing out SPDs…..
  • Milese
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve been using M520 and now M540 SPDs on my commuting / training road bike and find that they dont seem to last long.

They get slopey / creaky.

Do the pedal frames / platforms wear out, or is it likely to be the bearings need a grease and the cleats (which admitedly I dont change often)? Are there any wear indicators on them?

Are there any recommendations for a robust pair of SPDs that will live up to heavy use in all weathers (on the road)? Or do my M540’s just need some love?

Edric64
    Free Member

Probably worn cleats .Try winding the tension screw in a bit as well

Spin
    Free Member

That surprises me. I’ve had M520’s on mountain bikes for 5 years plus with no issues. I’ve also had the same pair on my 29er fixie for over 2 years and they take a proper pounding on that due to increased pedal strikes. Still going strong.

Edric64’s advice sounds good.

Milese
    Free Member

They are already set to the stiffest setting.

I’ll try some new cleats, but given the cost difference, I might just get another set of M540s, I’ve just seen that they’ve got great reviews.

manton69

If they are creaky then it could be the bearings. They are pretty easy to service as well, regrease, tighten them up again and then I tend not to touch them for at least a couple of years.

gary

I’ve had a ridiculous number of sets of 520s, 540s and predecessors on various bikes over a lot of years. It takes a lot of abuse to kill them on a mountain bike, on a road bike I would expect (and get) years of use without bothering to maintain them.

As above if they get sloppy a bit of attention to the bearings usually helps – the specific cone/locknut tool makes it really easy but its a bit pricey.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Bet its the bearings that are adding to the movement. tidy that up first. Cleats may be worn but you can use them for ever.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I had about 3 sets degrade to sludge inside well beyond a grease and get going. For the price they got binned, worn cleats are hell you only know they were bad when you put new ones in and everything feels right again (repeat periodically)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Worn cleats will make creaking noises.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thats a new one to me, it was normally the foot leaving that gave it away

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

sometimes you don’t know it all…

Milese
    Free Member

New cleats ordered (£7 on ebay) and will regrease the bearings.

Thanks for replies.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wearing out SPDs…..’ is closed to new replies.