Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Wearing ID when out solo
  • onlysteel
    Free Member

Getting ads on here for ‘road ID’ bracelets with details for use in emergency: next of kin, medical conditions etc. Anyone wear this or similar? Lot of my riding & running is solo, and not getting any younger so it increasingly does seem to make sense. Carry the mobile when on the bike (if I remember), but realise when running I’m just some old guy in shorts, t and shoes! Recommendations, though nothing bling please.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think there are some issues around hospitals and medical people not being able to use some of the info (Drac??)
    You have your wallet with you? Bank card and DL is a good combo.

tjagain

I put a credit card or drivers licence in my pocket. I could be traced thru that

Stoner
    Free Member

I wrote my telephone no. next to I.C.E on my wife’s helmet for when she goes out training. I tend to let her know my route if I go out.

Also recommend installing Trusted Contacts on Android which lets you request a location from someone (if they have given you permission) and the phone will send the location after 5 mins if there has been no response.

https://contacts.google.com/trustedcontacts/u/0/

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I wonder about carrying an out-of-date debit or credit card. It would be useless to anyone else if lost or stolen, could it still be valid for ID?

headfirst
    Free Member

I’ve got a road ID rubber bracelet. Got it after a nasty crash off the bike and my wife didn’t know where I was for hours after when I told her when I’d be back. She eventually found out through a series of coincidences. Thankfully it hasn’t had to prove its usefulness since I’ve bought it.

Yak

There is usually an ID sticker you get whenever you buy a new helmet. What’s wrong with these? I know they fade a bit over time, but my 5 year old sweat-soaked ID sticker is still legible.

scotroutes

Yak – Member
    There is usually an ID sticker you get whenever you buy a new helmet

Only certain brands.

antigee

read this thread recently and quite impressed the technology worked:

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=94614

First (hopefully last) road bike crash

……..

I am glad to report the tech worked; live tracking was working and an alert was sent to my wife. She found my location off the Garmin live tracking. So that worked well. The Garmin even left her number on the screen. Rory was then able to call her without needing to get her number from me.

edit obviously not suitable for running but thought a genuinely interesting real world experience of manufacturers claims

Drac

I think there are some issues around hospitals and medical people not being able to use some of the info (Drac??)

Not sure what you mean.

Print some basic info onto a card and laminate it. Carry this with you.

Smartphones have some apps to but they can break.

antigee

youngest antigee wears medicalert dog tags which should be fine (I hope)as an accident that that would you and me sat in A&E for a few hours would have her in a coma

believe there was some issues around some cheap and cheerful dog tags with blood group on – pointless? as blood group easy/v. quick test

edit and I wouldn’t suggest everyone subscribes to medicalert

gray

I got a bunch of plastic cards via eBay with my name, address, phone number, email and also emergency contact details. Useful for luggage tags, but also wang one in my back pocket whilst riding.

awh
    Free Member

I think there are some issues around hospitals and medical people not being able to use some of the info

I think the issue was what the emergency services can’t assume that person X has condition Y just because it’s on a tag they have to confirm it for them self. However the tag is still very useful because their first test will be to confirm that person X has condition Y.

matt_outandabout

All our Android phones have ICE number on lock screen.
    All helmets have a name and address written inside.

DrJ

Similar thought occurred to me about the gym – if I keel over on the cross trainer, nobody will know who to call.

ninfan
    Free Member

Why not get your NHS number tattooed somewhere?

thegreatape
    Free Member

My beautiful face is known to every policeman, paramedic and MRT person in the area, so I don’t bother.

footflaps

Similar thought occurred to me about the gym – if I keel over on the cross trainer, nobody will know who to call.

A cleaner?

No one want to use the cross trainer with someone lying on it, dribbling.

Keando

I wear one of the Road ID bracelets with my info and contact numbers. Also have a lockscreen image on the phone as well. No good having an ICE number in your contacts if the phone is locked…

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I have my ICE number on my phone.Even though the phone is locked it still displays the ICE number.

ulysse
    Free Member

Bikeregister your bike. Qr scan code on a tamperproof sticker, uv codes etched on the frame, logbooks in your wallet. A quick scan with a smartphone by the emergency services points em to your name and address

qwerty
    Free Member

if I keel over on the cross trainer, nobody will know who to call.

https://www.lifefitness.co.uk/service-solutions

tjagain

DrJ – Member

ghostbusters?

Cougar

I have “in case of emergency…” on a sticker in my phone case.

All these apps and things are all well and good, assuming your battery doesn’t run out and you don’t smash up your phone in the crash.

mattyfez

A simple debit card or drivers licence is good enough, an ‘incase of emergency’ sticker on the phone would probably help speed up the process of identifying you, but wouldn’t help an ambulance… the key thing is being found.

If you come a cropper in the middle of nowhere, the most important thing is getting an ambulance out.

That relies on passers-by stopping and raising the alarm.

Above that you’re looking at GPS beacons, which cost, or letting people close to you know your route and checking in with them.

kerley
    Free Member

There is usually an ID sticker you get whenever you buy a new helmet. What’s wrong with these?

I don’t wear a helmet so not much use to me.

I do wear a Road ID bracelet though. Nicely made and engraved etc,. for the price but unfortunately they go through customs so add £12 on top.
    Having ID, phone or whatever in back pocket may not be much use if I am flat out and can’t be moved…

Drac

No good having an ICE number in your contacts if the phone is locked…

Luckily the developers thought if that and it can be accessed without unlocking.

lunge

RoadID bracelet for me. 2 ICE numbers and my blood type on it. Wasn’t cheap with customs charges but well worth it for peace of (my wife’s) mind.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Another Road I.D. User here, I don’t carry anything when running so this was the easiest solution.

bigG
    Free Member

+1 road id bracelet user here. It’s become second nature to slip it on when I put on my helmet.

Seems a small cost to pay for knowing that when my rotting corpse is found in a roadside ditch they’ll be able to contact my nearest and dearest.

G

iainc

Road ID here also. If emergency services need to know info, wrists are one of the first places they check for ID.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Recently I’ve tried to remember to take my British Cycling card out with me, for ID and address, in addition to mobile having an ICE contact number.

btbb
    Free Member

I’ve replaced my RoadID this week due to a change of address. With discount (they offer them regularly) and free postage it cost me $15 / £12 so didn’t hit the customs charges.

I always ride on my own and rarely carry a wallet or cards as they’re something else to lose and there aren’t many shops around. If nothing else at least it helps me remember my own landline number.

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

Ride ID bracelet here. Quite often go out running without a phone or cards or any pockets larger than key sized.

Cowman

On my girlfriend’s bike I bought her an engraved stem cap.

It has her name, my number on it.

http://www.kapz.com

Well worth a look.

allthegear
    Free Member

Why not get your NHS number tattooed somewhere?

which one? I appear to have three 🙄

Rachel

garage-dweller

I have one of those waterproof pouches (designed for sailing, surfing type stuff) and in it is a piece of paper with ICE written clearly on it, name, who it is (i.e. my wife) and two contact numbers (mobile and home).

I also shove the car key in it to keep it dry no matter what or where I fall off. The pouch is then attached to my camelback or on lanyard round neck and under my base layer so it doesn’t slide about.

Same bit of paper has been in there two years and it’s still legible.

If I had medical conditions I’d write them on there too/put something recognisable in there.

wombat

I have a Parkrun barcode wristband that has an ICE number on it.

At £13.98 inc postage I found this was the most cost effective way to have a emergency contact details about my person, particularly as when I’m running I don’t tend to carry anything other than a front door or car key.

Edit.

If I’m on my bike I’ll have my wallet with me so have a home-made ICE card in there.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you’re out solo and not on roads then a personal locator beacon might be a good idea. May seem like overkill but it could save your life.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Spot trackers are a good option to really give an accurate position when you’re out in the boonies. Used by competitors in the Marathon De Sables and Tour Divide, so pretty well respected. At £100 not cheap but could be very useful.

https://www.findmespot.eu/en/index.php?cid=100

or a cheaper wrist strap, which will probably be great for me, if out running on my own.

http://www.iceid.co.uk/velcro-curved-tag-everyday-cycling-running-id/#ProductReviews

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Wearing ID when out solo’ is closed to new replies.