Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Wearing Hats indoors – is it poor etiquette?
  • large418
    Free Member

When I was a youngster I was always told that hats should not be worn indoors as it was poor etiquette/manners.

Is it still viewed as poor?

What about sitting down for a meal – is the wearing of a hat poor etiquette these days (thinking more here of baseball caps etc)?

What’re the general opinions?

trail_rat
    Free Member

indoors = hats off UNLESS its as cold inside as out.

and im only 25.

hats are to keep your head warm

jeffl

Yes. Take the bloody things off when you get inside.

binners

Is it a Hoxton Bonnet? If so, then you have to keep it on to accessorise with your sisters jeans and manicured, Mumford and Sons style facial hair

Rorschach
    Free Member

Wooly hat on,inside whilst I type. But the workshop is freezing (though I’ve still got shorts on!).

uwe-r
    Free Member

Hats indoors, madness, they’ll be wearing sunglasses next!

alfabus
    Free Member

different rules for women at weddings – especially when they’ve had to get their hairdresser to surgically attach the hat to their head.

wwaswas

Wearing Hats indoors

One is bad, more than that and people will just take pity on you.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What’re the general opinions?

Some people (usually the ones doing it) think it looks cool.

People with sense just think you look a right nooob

belugabob
    Free Member

Definitely hats off indoors (and in cars, too, if you ask me).

I don’t wear hats often but, during a trip to the Christmas Markets in Germany, a couple of years ago, the frigid conditions more or less dictated the use of a nice, cosy Thinsulate wooly hat.

Mrs beluga decide that she wanted to visit Cologne Cathedral, so in we went. I’d completely forgotten about the hat and, within about twenty feet, was approached by an usher, who gestured for me to take the hat off. I obliged, and carried on through to the main part of the Cathedral, where I was confronted by lots of ‘Ladies of a certain age’ – most of whom were wearing hats!

That’ll teach me to be a member of the least defended minority – a white, middle aged, straight, agnostic man 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bob, ladies retain their hats in church. Gentlemen do not.

Gentlemen certainly do not wear a hat indoors, but to wear one at table? That’s a hanging offence.

zilog6128

If you’re someplace where you’d also take your coat off e.g. restaurant, someone’s house, etc then hat off. If you’re someplace where you might also keep your coat on e.g. a bar or a shop then it is perfectly acceptable to leave your hat on.

large418
    Free Member

Glad it’s not just me then – my comments were aimed at blokes who wear hats – it is a different rule for women!

The youf of today have so much to learn!

wwaswas

The youf of today have so much to learn!

mostly associated with getting a pair of jeans that’s the right size to fit precisely around their waists so we don’t have to see half of their pants hanging over the top.

emsz
    Free Member

Bad etiquette? Or bad hair day?

trail_rat
    Free Member

(and in cars, too, if you ask me).

Ill take you for a drive round in the land rover in winter and see if your still saying that …. gloves , jacket and hat all required !

rogg
    Free Member

I couldn’t give a stuff if someone wants to wear a hat indoors, it’s really none of my business.

The only time I’ve been asked to remove my hat was in a rugby club bar, we’d just come in from the cold and some busy-body coffin dodger who was just there for a drink asked my mate (who was a member) to ask me to take my hat off. Knowing what goes on in rugby club bars it seemed an odd place for someone to worry about ‘etiquette’.

I’d also be worried that if I asked someone to take their hat off it would turn out that they were undergoing chemotherapy or something.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is a hat all the wearer is wearing indoors?

MrSmith
    Free Member

hats off. it’s usually hipster cretins with their little woolen hats they insist remain on their heads. the whispy moustache that usually accompanies aforementioned hat should also be removed along with the thick framed specs that don’t have any correction.
    not woolen hats but you get the idea:

scuzz
    Free Member

Bring back the hatstand.

Murray

Hats off in Canterbury Cathedral. Especially if it’s mid winter, as cold inside as outside and you’re a 3 year old. At least that’s what someone took the trouble to come and explain to me as I walked said 3 year old through the beautiful building.

rocketman
    Free Member

Just ‘no’ to hats in general imo

Spent a few hours last week in airports judging strangers (as you do). There was quite a lot of hat-based prejudice I can tell you 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Those lads in that piccy MrSmith posted look way cool man, IMO.

Can’t see owt wrong with that at all.

rogg
    Free Member

Hats off in Canterbury Cathedral. Especially if it’s mid winter, as cold inside as outside and you’re a 3 year old. At least that’s what someone took the trouble to come and explain to me as I walked said 3 year old through the beautiful building.

Nice to see god’s got his eye on the really important issues.

rusty90
    Free Member

Those lads in that piccy MrSmith posted look way cool man

They look as though they’ve had specs and tache drawn on them by a child with a felt-tip pen 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

😆

Cougar

Definitely hats off indoors (and in cars, too, if you ask me).

I’ve a theory that everyone who wears headgear whilst driving is invariably about to do something mental.

jota180
    Free Member

We had the youngest daughters new boyfriend round the other week, he kept one of his ear phones in the whole time he was here, weird

BoardinBob

My hat stays on all the time. GIRFUY.

binners

I’ve a theory that everyone who wears headgear whilst driving is invariably about to do something mental.

Absolutely! Hats of any description in cars seem to magically remove the ability to drive from the wearer

mogrim

We had the youngest daughters new boyfriend round the other week, he kept one of his ear phones in the whole time he was here, weird

Probably it’s more that you’re dull 🙂

Are Wee Willie Winkie bed caps OK?

thegreatpotato
    Free Member

Rule 6, innit:

PiknMix
    Free Member

I wear a cap all the time, Im sure enough of who I am to not worry if anyone else is worrying about my indoor hat wearing.
    I also have a trilby and have my eyes peeled for a jolly spiffing bowler.

Cougar

It’s spelt ‘wired.’

xiphon
    Free Member

Plenty of Jewish blokes wear a hat all the time indoors – perhaps not in their own home, in company of their family? Not sure on that one.

Worked for a company who had very strong Jewish links – and I wondered why most clients (even suited up for business meetings!) wore baseball caps inside…. did look rather odd to me.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Nice to see god’s got his eye on the really important issues.

Was it the big man himself who pointed it out?

Coyote
    Free Member

Wearing Hats indoors – is it poor etiquette?

Have we time slipped to the 1950s?

binners

As Pete Docherty wrote

There are fewer more distressing sights than that
    Of an Englishman in a baseball cap

And he’s partial to a trilby. And smack. Though I don’t know if the two are directly linked

nealglover
    Free Member

Unless you are under 5 years old, Wearing a baseball cap anywhere is at the very least “poor etiquette”

It’s certainly a good indicator of people to avoid anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Wearing Hats indoors – is it poor etiquette?’ is closed to new replies.