Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Wearable Gimbal with Video
  • Milkie
    Free Member

I only found out about these wearable gimbals a couple of weeks ago. I think I have been living under a rock. I couldn’t find any talk of one of here either 😉

I got a Feiyu Tech WG 3 axis gimbal last week and managed to test it out at Afan at the weekend. Here is some mediocre riding with the gimbal being chest mounted.

[video]http://youtu.be/wLvX7EQYmKo[/video]

It is a lot smoother with the gimbal and the gimbal battery lasted longer than the GoPro. Near the end you can see a little bit of jerkiness, I think this might be because the gimbal battery was dying. Overall I am very pleased with the smoothness, the camera picks out greater detail.

flyingmonkeycorps

That’s not too bad at all. There was a video of Sam Pilgrim doing massive jumps with one a while back, that was impressive too.

How much was it and where from if you don’t mind me asking?

Milkie
    Free Member

Yes it was the Sam Pilgram footage that made me think “How can I not know about these!” and then bought one from Tomtop for about £150, comes with 2 sets of batteries and a nice case!

dbcooper
    Free Member

There was an amzing vid a few weeks ago some flow trail in the states, loads of berms and the gimbal made it look awesome.

STATO
    Free Member

Pretty cool, seems a bit laggy in picking up turns (they all seem to be like this in panning mode), be interesting to see footage of a twisty trail as those afan trails are pretty straight, no corners.

Also im guessing no case on the gopro with that version?

dbcooper
    Free Member

Found it. The gimbal makes it look amazing.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNrFGVfuSkA[/video]

grum
    Free Member

Does look a fair bit nicer than most go pro footage. Wouldn’t fancy crashing wearing that thing though!

Milkie
    Free Member

Also im guessing no case on the gopro with that version?

Correct no case, I don’t think the Gimbal is waterproof either, not that it matters as the GoPro isn’t either.

seems a bit laggy in picking up turns

You can change the “heading following mode” from slow to fast. I haven’t played with the settings yet and don’t know if it was on slow or fast. I just charged the batteries and took it for a ride.

STATO
    Free Member

ah ok, didnt know speed adjust was possible on that one. dbcoopers linked video looks quicker on tracking but gets quite jerky because of it, must be a happy medium somewhere in there. Quality of stabilisation looks great in both for prices tho!!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

@milkie

Is this the gimbal that you bought ?

Have to say, for the price, size and weight of it, I was pretty impressed with the footage. It certainly makes it much more ‘watchable’ without the camera looking like it’s being shaken to death.

igm

Interesting

Milkie
    Free Member

Yes that is the Gimbal. 😉

dbcooper
    Free Member

The gimbal in that vid is a different one its the swift G2 which is hand held but he seems to have mounted it to his chest protector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVLnLklopiQ

AlexSimon

Footage looks excellent!
    Which GoPro is that?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

@dbcooper

You can only buy the Swift G2 from Germany (or further ) so no UK support should anything go wrong, and it’s 350 Euros !!

I’m out.

dbcooper
    Free Member

Fair enough. I’m not promoting it or anything so don’t feel pressurised by me. You’ve got to make your own decisions in live and you have the ability to do that, you can be awesome. Go for it.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

you can be awesome.

You knows it 8)

Nah, I’m just a bit surprised between the price difference and the fact that it looks much the same. I’ll take the cheaper version if it means it’s going to (possibly) be exposed to getting damaged by biking/water/mud.

I genuinely couldn’t tell that much of a difference between the two systems, and if anything I though the OPs cheaper gimbal was a bit better. Certainly good enough for making biking videos with a GoPro.

dbcooper
    Free Member

Thats all true, but the implication is if you buy the Swift one you will be a batshit mental rider who looks awesome and scores big with your intended audience of sexual partners of whatever persuasion suits. You could almost hear the woosh of clothes literally being hoovered off the wearers by the riders oozing prowess as he flew by with his super duper gimbal appendage..
    (I am not affiliated with swift in anyway and receive no reward for my postings)

Milkie
    Free Member

Footage looks excellent!
    Which GoPro is that?

My footage? Well if it is.. GoPro Hero 3 Black, but its probably the encoding settings that make it look half decent, still rubbish compared to the original.

…vid is a different one its the swift G2

The Swift G2 is only a 2 axis gimbal, the Feiyu WG is a 3 axis gimbal.

AlexSimon

Yes, your footage 🙂
    Ta

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

dbcooper
    What an awesome vid footage 🙂

gavstorie
    Free Member

The great thing about the footage using a gimbal… no motion sickness. 🙂

pnik

Can i ask how we feel 10 months later, i like the idea but they do seem pretty unwieldy and add a chunk of weight. Its a lot of cash to sit in a cupboard unused

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Saw this on fb the other day, impressive stuff

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH9OOIFB5wx/

Milkie
    Free Member

Can i ask how we feel 10 months later, i like the idea but they do seem pretty unwieldy and add a chunk of weight. Its a lot of cash to sit in a cupboard unused

I’m using it every time I record chest mounted. I do not notice the difference in weight, it does not bob around anymore than a GoPro. You would think you would notice the difference in weight, but you don’t.

Here’s some footage from a couple of weeks ago, not edited. Abrupt stop due to a front puncture, riding on the rim.
    Top of The World – Video

acidtest
    Free Member

If you upscale it to 4k and upload to youtube you’ll get an even clearer video as youtube allocates more bitrate in the stream. You can do this in the gopro studio and just select 4k when you export it. Good video btw, makes me want a gimbal and go to Afan too!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Wearable Gimbal with Video’ is closed to new replies.