Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Weak thumb. Which shifter is lightest push.
  • neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Injured my thumb a few years ago and had surgery to repair it. Over last couple of years it’s become harder to shift gears not impossible but painful. I was thinking of fitting sram axs because it’s really light to shift but is there a mechanical shifter that is easier to push than others?

DickBarton

SRAM AXS controller – not a switch, just a light push…not cheap though.

I found SRAM mechanical shifters felt lighter than Shimano, but the Shimano shifter felt more solid. I suspect sealed cables with a lot of very light grease to keep them very light and smooth might also help. If the mech is manky then it will take more effort to shift it…electronic tends to counter this and you don’t feel it through your finger.

Unsure if there are any thumbshifters available for modern 9/10/11/12 speed systems, but that might also be an option as you can operate them with the paml of your hand rather than a thumb (but not quite as comfy).

Yak

Have you tried gripshift?

tjagain

I have the same issue and converted my bikes to twist shift. Not the rubbish gripshift you got on cheap bikes but Sram rocket IIRC( which you can get in shimano pull ratios) However that was 9spd – I don’t know what is available for more modern gearing.  Higher end twist shift is much better than the cheapo stuff

steve_b77
    Free Member

My XTR 12 speed is lighter than the GX / X01 12 speed.

toby

I was convinced to try an eye-wateringly expensive gear inner cable by the workshop of my LBS. To be fair it’s transformed the feel of my 12 speed XT shifter. The upshift finger trigger now requires more force than downshifting with my thumb. Also has lasted getting on for a year. May be worth considering?

DickBarton

I haven’t used Gripshift since the end of the 90s, but although it worked well, it did need to be kept very clean and lightly greased/lubed for shifting to spot on. Seemed to get more vague the muddier the grips got as the grip on the twist part wasn’t quite as sharp. I suspect it has improved somewhat but may still require a bit more frequent lubing.

iainc

same here, arthritis in both thumbs – both my MTBs now have AXS shifting and droppers – night and day, but costly. On my drop bar bikes it’s less of a problem, I have 3 of them, one with GRX 1x, one with Ultegra 2x and one with Ultegra Di2 and they are all pretty easy.

nedrapier

Microshift do 12speed thumbies. But I’m not sure if it’s the answer – I’ve got one of their 9 speed thumbies and I reckon there’s more articulation needed from the thumbs compared to trigger shifter, especially going to/from the hardest couple of gears. Top half of the cassette you can do with fingers and the palm bit of your thumb, (wot I have just discovered is called the thenar)

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/microshift-sl-m12-r-12-speed-shimano-thumb-shift-lever-right

zippykona

I rode my non clutch mech bike and the action on the was so light and buttery. Deep joy.

andrewh
    Free Member

These are half price (but still a lot)
    https://rotoruk.co.uk/v1.asp?cat=1077&prd=259336

martinhutch

XTR has a lighter action if AXS is too spendy. Turning off the clutch on your mech will help too.

honourablegeorge

XTR not that much cheaper these days compared to GX AXS

martinhutch

Really? XTR shifter is 80 quid, and can be swapped into any shimano/SRAM 12 speed setup.

Upgrading to AXS is well north of 500.

thols2

I have the same issue and converted my bikes to twist shift…. However that was 9spd – I don’t know what is available for more modern gearing.

If you’re still running 9 speed, Shimano dual control would be another option, you’d obviously have to trawl online auctions to find some used ones.

5lab

Axs, but wait for the new button style shifter to come out

ta11pau1

Axs, but wait for the new button style shifter to come out

Yeah, I might pass on that – looks fudging horrible!

I do wish my bike had a UDH though 😐

lovewookie

SRAM 11 and 12 speed gripshifters will work with shimano 10, 11 and 12 speed.

The action is quite light, but solid enough to not mis shift. They feel like the old Sachs Extreme shifters, with the soft shift spring, rather than the rather direct gripshifters.

tjagain

All I can say is that twisties were a complete cure for me.  From pain to no pain.

zilog6128

If you can afford it just go AXS, so much better than any mechanical groupset I’ve ever used in virtually every way, plus you have a legit reason for buying shiny stuff 😃

molgrips
    Free Member

In my experience all shifters are light, it’s down to the cable or clutch tension. And all cables are decent bar the cheap crap, so the first thing to check is cable routing.

tjagain

MOlgrips – the issue the OP has is damaged thumbs so ( like me) even what is a light push if your hands are OK becomes painful when you have the damage

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far. Interesting that sram and shimano 12 speed now work together always found Xtr to be buttery smooth so worth looking at. I do fancy gx axs it’s going on a new bike so might be worthwhile spending a bit extra and selling the mechanical gx fitted to the bike now and replacing with axs.

matt_outandabout

In my experience all shifters are light, it’s down to the cable or clutch tension. And all cables are decent bar the cheap crap, so the first thing to check is cable routing.

^ this.

Non-clutch, 8/9/10sp with a fresh, slick, quality cable is as good as it gets.

molgrips
    Free Member

MOlgrips – the issue the OP has is damaged thumbs so ( like me) even what is a light push if your hands are OK becomes painful when you have the damage

Yes I read that.

joebristol

I’ve got Shimano xt 12 speed and GX eagle 12 speed and the GX eagle is way lighter to push. I suspect it’s the rear mech that’s a chink of the cause of the resistance though – the Shimano ones seem to get gummed up in the pivot and shifting gradually deteriorates. Going from the xt bike to the GX is such a massive change – the GX is lovely and light.

GX AXS sounds like the best solution to your issue if it’s affordable.

If not then some kind of grip shifter might do a job. I always hated them, but other people loved them.

Kuco

I broke my thumb and tore most of the ligament off a few years ago (had to be the right one 😒) found on long rides shifting gears after a while my thumb would kill and has gotten worse over the years. Went over to SRAM AXS while it was on offer a couple of years and have been really happy, the shifting only needs a light dab to work.

tjagain

If not then some kind of grip shifter might do a job. I always hated them, but other people loved them

.I think this is because most peoples experience of gripshifters are the cheapo ones.  Decent Sram ones are a whole different ballgame

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t see a reason not go to AXS if you can afford it, it’s meant to be really good.

the Shimano ones seem to get gummed up in the pivot and shifting gradually deteriorates

I don’t think it’s the actual pivots, but the clutch can get gummed up and need a clean out. Easy to do though, they’ve made it nice and serviceable. On XT it’s also adjustable – you still get on/off via the external lever but there’s a grub screw that determines how stiff ‘on’ is.

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

I think I might give gx axs a try found it for well under £400 for the upgrade kit.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.