Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • We were six hours away…
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

that would have been interesting for some folk.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Have you got alternative means of cooking and heating? Before supplies ceased I suspect that the gas pressure would have fallen to levels that would’ve prompted a selective shut-off of parts of the network and large consumers.

STATO
    Free Member

Large and medium size Businesses typically have contracts which include a clause to cut them off if supplys are low. Regular customers would not have been effected for a few days if not weeks if it came to that.

quartz
    Free Member

Have you got alternative means of cooking and heating?

Yes; I’d just eat out or order a takeaway.

footflaps

Plus power stations can switch supply from burning gas to generate electricity to supplying gas into the grid (some power stations import gas direct from offshore sources and can either generate electricity to supply gas, depending on spot prices).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yes i have.

Few different options.

what if your takeaway is powered by gas?

gonefishin
    Free Member

I take it you can’t read very well. The article says that we were six hrs from running out of gas storage. We don’t rely completely on stored gas there are many other source including our own production, gas import from Norway and the LNG terminals. Also it would be industry that gets its supplies cut first, not domestic users (it’s in their contracts)

Oh and it’s not the first time this has happened either, it’s a lot more common than you might think.

ononeorange

Ofgem trailed it quite well at the time, I think I recall.

footflaps

Apparently not, looks like profiteering by the main suppliers:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/may/24/energy-suppliers-held-back-gas-uk

jamj1974

Not worked in this area for some time so some of this will be out of date but…

– Salt caverns are not the only storage we have – we have LNG for a start, this is used as the UK’s last storage backstop
    – As someone has said – storage and supply are different things, we were not six-hours from having no gas
    – Turn down and turn off options are common for large gas consumers, so domestic users are protected
    – Gas shippers (the people who provide gas to gas suppliers) are directed during emergency situations to either retain in store or flow gas as appropriate. Whilst this might provide profit for shippers in some circumstances, in others they will be prevented from taking action

I drafted several changes to this regime – surprising that it has come up here!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘We were six hours away…’ is closed to new replies.