Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • We think its a good idea but not for us,say footballers
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24161011

How limp wristed and weak willed not to support possibly fellow players,supporters,and sponsors,by the simple use of coloured laces,and get the message accross people are still being discriminated in sport because of their sexuality.

Pity some of the major sponsors cant/want, put it their contracts or they withdraw their funding.

Sancho
    Free Member

how homophobic your comments are, i take it your limp wristed comment is a gay reference

I havent noticed many gay men walking around with limp wrists like dick emery, I guess you are still living in the 70’s

project
    Free Member

no.the ocasional gay man or woman ive met are definately not limp wristed or weak, but usually well spoken, decisive, and say what they feel.

06awjudd
    Free Member

how homophobic your comments are, i take it your limp wristed comment is a gay reference

Quite judgemental don’t you think? The guy is complaining about a lack of support for gay footballers and you declare him a homophobe.

Limp-wrists aren’t a refrence to homosexuality any more than a lack of a back-bone is. It just refers to a lack of moral or physical strength. Unless of course you think that makes someone a homosexual?

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m sure they have their reasons, in the same way Jason Roberts, et al, did when not wearing the Kick Out Racism T-shirts.

Sancho
    Free Member

Limp-wrists isn’t a refrence to homosexuality any more than a lack of a back-bone is.

you need to do some research in to this as it is a very obvious camp gay characteristic the media has played on for decades and its just sad as it is a pathetic stereotype

project
    Free Member

My reference to limp wristed was meant to point out the footballers or management could put their hand up and say yes look at me, i support the cause, as opposed to being limp wristed and going with the masses, for fear of being seen as not one of the gang.

Sancho
    Free Member

dont be a dick 06, you know what i mean, it comes from the larry grayson, camp gay 70’s stereotypes that are out of date and stupid, but linking to a web site is clearly the singletrack way of being stupid to back your argument instead of looking in to what the issue is.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Yeah it can be used to steretype homosexuals, but project quite clearly meant that he thought they lacked moral backbone.
    Ironic Stupid to call someone a homophobe for making a pro-gay equality thread IMO.

project
    Free Member

its now 2013, not the seventies, when sex with under 21 year olds was illegal, and section 21 was being dreamed about, where civil partnerships where a long way off dream for a lot of people,and where it was a dismissable offence in the armed forces.

wrecker
    Free Member

no.the ocasional gay man or woman ive met are definately not limp wristed or weak, but usually well spoken, decisive, and say what they feel.

Yep, my token gay friend is like that. He’s also like a dog with two dicks 😀

and where it was a dismissable offence in the armed forces

It was in the 90s!

teethgrinder

**** hell. Any excuse for a an argument in this place. Not every post or sentence had a hidden connotation.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

It,s almost like some of those footballers are trying to hide something…..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Much as I commend Stonewall and wholeheartedly support their campaigns, it might have been a better idea to consult clubs first before landing them with a Paddy Power branded box of shoelaces, and as much as saying “Here, wear these on Saturday and you don’t, you’re homophobic.”

I’m somewhat suspicious of Paddy Power’s motives. Anyone would think they were trying to rescue a bit of good PR after having their ladies day ad pulled for being transphobic earlier in the year. FFS, do gambling companies have to stick their arses into everything these days?!? 😐

project
    Free Member

But thats what makes this forum so intresting, the jesting and joshing, along with covering certain subjects in a multitude of different ways, without actually fighting.

project
    Free Member

I’m somewhat suspicious of Paddy Power’s motives. Anyone would think they were trying to rescue a bit of good PR after having their ladies day ad pulled for being transphobic earlier in the year. FFS, do gambling companies have to stick their arses into everything these days?!?

all good advertising, and a talking point, i wasnt aware of paddy power and hate football.

athgray
    Free Member

I think the OP was outlining the stereotype in order to bring notice to the cause. You seem to have taken this badly sancho. I am sure no offence was meant.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

all good advertising, and a talking point, i wasnt aware of paddy power and hate football.

Well, it was in the story to which you linked project. Did you not read it? So, what’s the objective? Support for the gays, or using the homophobia you’re perceiving as an excuse to have a go at football?

stumpy01

teethgrinder +1.

terrahawk
    Free Member

good grief.

Lifer
    Free Member

Yep seems the issue isn’t with Stonewall, laces or the campaign in general but Paddy Power’s involvement.

I don’t think Paddy Power should be using this as a advertising tool, IMO Stonewall scored an own goal on this one.

BOOOOOOOM.

IanMunro
    Free Member

How limp wristed and weak willed not to support possibly fellow players,supporters,and sponsors,by the simple use of coloured laces,and get the message accross people are still being discriminated in sport because of their sexuality.

I trust you’ll be sporting rainbow laces on all your work shoes from now to help get the message across too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I cant think how you could have made your point worse than your OP.
    Well done as you did it by not actually reading the link you posted to.

AWESOME

Jamie
    Free Member

**** hell. Any excuse for a an argument in this place. Not every post or sentence had a hidden connotation.

You spill my pint!?!?!? 😡

Junkyard
    Free Member

Pretty sure you dropped it yourself , you are so limp wristed

Jamie
    Free Member

Pretty sure you dropped it yourself , you are so limp wristed

You calling my pint queer?!?! 😡

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

on the subject of limp wristedness and other 70’s gay stereotyping

when a box, covered in branding from betting agency Paddy Power, was delivered to their training grounds with the tagline ‘Right Behind Gay Footballers’.

piemonster

Hmm, I thought the whole ‘limp wrist’ thing was earlier than that.

Google time.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it has two meaning – lacks back bone and also effeminate so used as slang/derogatory term/ slur against gay people who were often perceived , and sometimes still are, as soft and effeminate and not very manly

I assume we can accept this without google

teethgrinder

Sauce?

Jamie
    Free Member

Google time.

First hit off Google image search for ‘limp wrist’:

piemonster

Hmm, I didn’t go with image search.

My first hit came back with a reference at least going back to the early 20th century.

Anyway, you chaps get back to your errr… debating.

teethgrinder
    Jamie
    Free Member

Looks a fun night out…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX4i8mtv-78[/video]

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Anyway, you chaps get back to your errr… debating.

Mass debating if you ask me.

but it’s what makes STW sooo much fun. It’s miles better than the telly, in fact I’m thinking of doing away with my TV licence.

teethgrinder

.gif
    .gif
    .gif

Go on!

piemonster

Looks like an ordinary Saturday night at Northwold Social Club

Jamie
    Free Member

in fact I’m thinking of doing away with my TV licence.

You should start a thread on that 😐

kimbers

I think paddy power is probably he issue here

isnt their name racist anyway????? 😉

I suspect that football being what it is that the number one concern of teams is keeping the £££ flowing from their own gambling sponsors

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘We think its a good idea but not for us,say footballers’ is closed to new replies.