Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • We now have staff..!
  • ourmaninthenorth

Well, a cleaner actually. I feel rather middle class. And smug.

That is all.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Do you mean you got married?

😉

ourmaninthenorth

I suspect if i did ever actually marry the fragrant Dr North, I would soon be taking on the role of charlady.

hora
    Free Member

Two words: Czech teenager

ourmaninthenorth

No, mouthy Manc. But if she cleans as much as she talks, the house will sparkle and I won’t get strife at the weekends for leaving ‘er indoors “to do everything in this house”.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Do you have the staff to beat the cleaner with?

I always found a birch more satisfying as a staff was a bit cumbersome. You know what they say ‘Women, walnut trees and dogs all get better the more they are beaten’

mt
    Free Member

am with WCA on beating. Also with the present unemployment figures wages are getting lower. Soon we’ll all be middle class lazy gits who can’t clean up after ourselves.

molgrips
    Free Member

How much do you pay her then? We need one.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Payment ‘in kind’?

😉

ourmaninthenorth

£8 per hour for 2/3 cleaners.

Cheap, I tell you!

(And, WCA, I shall heed your advice and beat liberally.)

oldgit
    Free Member

Oi that’s my mum youre talking about.

grynch
    Free Member

don’t worry ourman.. you’ll still spend time cleaning… mrs G and I have had a cleaning lady for a few years now… she comes in every thursday for 5 hrs ( and our house is tiny ) yet per mrs.G’s orders we still spend at least an hour saturday on the house.

“she just doesn’t get it right”

well bloody tell her.

grynch
    Free Member

.. and we also have to go looking for where she tidied away things… the coffee pot wound up in the airing cupboard a couple of weeks ago.

😯

Avocado
    Free Member

Comes in for 5 hours? You mean your staff live elsewhere?

Your house must be tiny, it takes a good 5 hours to black up the dog grates in the main sitting room’s inglenook. 🙄

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I know someone who insisted on cleaning the house before the cleaner came so that the cleaner wouldn’t think they lived in a dirty house!

nickc

Middle class angst is a terrible thing.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I went through a phase of paying a Polish girl to do cleaning and ironing. She was so much worse at either of those jobs than I am myself that I gave up after a while.

🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m trying to persuade my wife (37 weeks pregnant) to let my parents come and tidy up and decorate for us. They can be annoying, sure, but we’re talking about having our house cleaned for free! That is not to be sneezed at in my book.

ourmaninthenorth

I know someone who insisted on cleaning the house before the cleaner came so that the cleaner wouldn’t think they lived in a dirty house!

That way lunacy lies. I am employing staff (albeit not live-in – who’d share their house with the servants anyway?) precisely so I don’t have to worry about the fact that the bathrooms need a clean in the few precious hours I get free at the weekends.

I would develop middle class angst, but they are being paid.

Still not entirely certain about handing over my front door keys, though….

ourmaninthenorth

molgrips – no, much better to do something on an arms’ length basis, that way the anguish at something not being done properly won’t be so hard to take….

nbt

£8 an hour is reasonable. Shall have to to talk to Mrs NBT tonight, I think…

ourmaninthenorth

OK. So the staff have appeared and disappeared, according to Dr North. It’s £8 per (wo)man hour. So, there were two of them and they stayed for one hour – £16 total.

Dr North has expressed some satisfaction, while telling me that the dust is still on the blinds.

Evidently, we shall have to make a list for the scrubbers to work to.

And if they don’t do it, I’ll beat them, as WCA recommends. And he’d know a thing or two about beating….

miketually
    Free Member

We had someone who came in for 2 hours every Thursday at £8 per hour. The house was always clean, and it forced us to tidy up every Wednesday evening. She got through cleaning products at an alarming rate.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I have a stalker. I don’t have to pay her, so strictly speaking I’m not sure she counts as staff or just volunteering.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘We now have staff..!’ is closed to new replies.