Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • :) we now have orangebikes.com.au :( they're a bit **** expensive
  • hugorune

Orange are now selling direct in Oz which is pretty awesome news. The bad bit is that they are almost 25% more expensive than the UK. How does that work? A five frame retails at 1399.99 in the UK and is for sale on the Orange website for $2899.99 (1825.00 GBP at todays exchange rate). If I spend over $300 at chain reaction I get free shipping to Australia so please explain to me how Orange’s business model works.

RustySpanner

so please explain to me how Orange’s business model wors.

I think it works as follows:

‘There’s one born every minute’.

I do like their bikes, but the prices are a bit salty.

NZCol

You may get free shipping but do you get stung for GST and import duty – I’d expect so. If I bought direct I would get hit for the bike price + shipping cost x 5% (import duty for complete bikes last time i checked) and then 15% GST on that. So price is probably closer than you think perhaps.

hugorune

But you wouldn’t be paying the 17.5% VAT. Just seems like the usual attempt to rip off the rather gullable aussies (see lots of other threads on this subject)

NZCol

I dunno really but I expect to pay a premium for stuff for living halfway round the world. Freight is expensive and in all likelihood would be added to the price anyway. The kiwi and Oz peso are also reasonably fluctuating currencies so if I was direct selling i would be insuring myself against that. Then there is market pricing of course. Why don;t you buy a UK one and get it sent over FedEx , do CRC actually sell Orange anyway – I’ve never seen them on there ?. Buy a Kona, they can be cheap here as they are direct imported from Taiwan where they are assembled.

That’s why we continue to manufacture our products locally – however nobody wants to pay ‘inflated’ prices because we choose not to use cheap chinese labour 😕

jockhaggis
    Free Member

The $1 US to £1 UK is quite common here. A Santa Cruz Blur LT is $1899 in the US which is around £1200. In the UK it’s priced at £1799.

Import Duty, VAT and shipping add about £300 of that but by my reckoning there is still a few hundred £s added to the price. And that’s working with the retail figures not the factory costs so there’s more there.

At the end of the day the Australian distributor will price it at the level they think they can get away with. If you don’t like the price buy something else.

hora
    Free Member

A blur 7:24:58 AM is a decent and sorted suspension system though. Why do people pay so much for cosmetically dressed up decade-old designs?

igm

Because they’re simple, low maintenance and they work? Just a thought.

hora
    Free Member

So does a Saracen. Doesn’t make it particularly special though.

bruneep

So does a Saracen. Doesn’t make it particularly special though.

Eh? Oh bugger! I thought they were ubber niche…….. 😕

hora
    Free Member
    hillsplease

A mate had something similar in 1997. I thought it was ace. And then I bought an orange 5 (1999) and realised that there was a difference.

tonyg2003

Look at Orange’s costs. Std Uk price + shipping + UK import + costs of setting up an operation in Auss.

It’s the same way here. Look at the UK price of Ayups. It’s the same in just about every country for bike parts.

Just be glad Orange are direct or there would be another 30% on the costs you mention.

monkeychild
    Free Member
    zokes
    Free Member

I’ve got a Patriot 7+ in Adelaide if anyone wants one?

Andituk
    Free Member

I’d imagine a good part of the extra is the aussie distributors cut.

vinnyeh

Look at Orange’s costs. Std Uk price + shipping + UK import + costs of setting up an operation in Auss.

Except that it’s not. The frames aren’t at UK standard price they’re at (at the most) UK wholesale, and minus vat. Australian gst is 10%, not our 17.5%. And the costs of setting up the operation won’t be anymore than setting up any other brand- I would have thought it’s unlikely that they’ll be holding warehouses full of stock considering that Orange’s are pretty much custom specced here, and there’s normally a fairly large gap from ordering to delivery.
    Strange pricing though- the frame’s about 1.3 times the UK price, but the 5SE is actually cheaper. And a Maxle upgrade for the rear is £66

………………………..UK Price…. Aus Price (converted to GBP)
    5 frame……………..1400……….1823
    5 Pro………………..2800……….3125
    5 SE…………………4400……….4088

It’s not hard to see what they’re hoping to sell…

hugorune

Hey Zokes – I’ve just emailed you about the Patriot 😀

DickBarton

So you are still biking?

ivantate
    Free Member

Buy the 5 SE.

uplink
    Free Member

I wonder if they’re just buying the frames in from Orange & the rest from the local importers?

hora
    Free Member

Why not just set up production in Halifax Australia?

DickBarton

Actually, if I remember rightly , all my mates who have gone to Oz to work (about 6 of them now) have all commented on the fact they have had a 30%+ increase in wage…so a 25% hike in price shouldn’t be an issue!!!
    Go on, get it bought, sell that piece of plywood you call a surfboard and get it sorted…

😉

hugorune

That is true Young Richard 😀

But – I’d rather pick up a second hand patriot to replace the last production Patriot sold by orange that was stolen by those theiving barstewerds in Menstrie that were probably mates of the dodgy copper who lives next door[/b](and breathe)

I made the mistake of posting the same question on an oz bike forum and got a good verbal kicking there as well

langy
    Free Member

hugo – that was rotorburn, eh?

bear in mind the guy who imports is the former NSW state DH champ and so there is a bit of fraternal love going on over there…

I agree with you though; I’ve been thinking about a new bike and was looking at an ST4, but sooo $$$$. Especially when a better specced, carbon framed something or other with personally preferred spec is not alot more and I still get the warranty etc and give/receive more love with my LBS by buying from them.

However, if you wanna get it from UK, I’m sure plenty of places will be happy to take your cash!! 😀

DickBarton

Thing is, for what they are they are expensive in the UK as well.

myheadsashed

If Oranges were as ‘special’ as Hora they’d be shipping them from Broadmoor 8)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Did/doesn’t Hora own a 5?

I made the mistake of buying BIKE magazine (£3.99, almost exactly the $5.99 it is in the states), I’m now thinkingI could take me and the misus on a trip to new york (muchos Brownie points) with the change form buying a SC Butcher while I’m there!

hugorune

The guy who imports is the former NSW state DH champ

That might explain the torrents of derision 😆 better check next time before I start slagging any more local heroes.

Are you in NSW Langy?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I think that is pretty cheap compared to other bikes for sale in Oz.
    Bikes & bike parts are stupidly expensive out there.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘:) we now have orangebikes.com.au :( they're a bit **** expensive’ is closed to new replies.