Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • We need to discuss STW Forum ride Dalbeattie and maybe Mabie 27th September
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

Guys, I am getting a bit stressed about the Sunday 27th ride, so if anyone plans on coming along it would be great to read this and give me some input as I am now not too sure exactly what will be best for the majority of riders. I feel 26th at Kirroughtree is spot on with the 11am start given the location, etc, but now have doubts about my original plans for 27th…..

I rode Dalbeattie today and yet again the rain held off for me but I got quite a drubbing. I thought I'd hone some skillz on the skillz loop, but came a cropper on a red route bit of rock where I tried to do a 90 degree turn but my front wheel locked into a rut and I went splat into a rockpool which was all a bit embarrassing really. Luckily it was desterted and no one saw.

I did that early descent (i.e. Forge knows the bit I mean) I didn't make last time, and made one or two more rock sections but I am still failing to make it up and over certain other rocky sections where my pedals clang against the rocks forcing a dab or two.

But all in all a great day out and for me Dalbeattie just gets better and better. I think this was probably only my forth time there.

For those who want to come along but have not been, Dalbeattie now has a lot of small and not so small features that are worthy of "sessioning" or at least on a group ride, stopping and watching some of the more able riders have a go. I am not just talking about the huge "Slab" and "The Terrible Twins" which are for experts only, but there are some smaller rock features worthy of people having a go on.

Even the taster loop, which also forms part of the start and end of the main red loop, has some black slick-rock sections to practice on and which is too hard for me to master.

Anyway, I got round in a little over 3 hours, which included photo time and a couple of sarnie/munchies stops. Now if we were to go round even in a modest sized group, I am thinking would we need say 4 hours to allow people to have fun on all the various sections worth stopping at? If we were to set off at 11am, we would not get back till say 2.30 earliest, and then we would still need faff time and lunch time before arriving at Mabie. If we were to try and squeeze Mabie in, I would be worrying about how long we were taking at Dalbeattie, but the whole idea is to have a fun weekend.

Also, I am not going to be too fast if I have ridden Kirroughtree the day before. So then I got to thinking we could either set off at 9am (probably too early) or meet at 9am for a 10am set off. But then does that give people enough time to get there if they are travelling from maybe 2 hours away?

Also, if we tried to squeeze in both Mabie and Dalbeattie, we would need to rush lunch and it would it be trying to do too much for the sake of it? Maybe people would not want to travel from too far away just for Dalbeattie, but would people come for say Kirroughtree one day and Dalbeattie the next?

I was then thinking maybe at Mabie the faster people do the whole red, but then I could take people on a small red loop up until say Scorpion's Tail and then taking people via green/purple to the bike park for some jumpy fun? Another alternative is do the first section of singletrack, take a little fireroad for maybe 1km and then hook up with "The Elevator" ending up at the bike park.

Or, if time is a bit short at Dalbeattie, we could miss out the final bit of taster loop singletrack and just go back to the car park. This would also have the advantage of missing out that plank as today I had to carry my bike and wade through water, getting my shoes and socks soaking wet. Not an issue today obviously, but it is if people want a further ride after lunch.

So yeah, to summarise

Should we just be doing Dalbeattie on 27th, but have a nice leisurely lunch?
    Should we do most of Dalbeattie or all time permitting, then fast lunch and do all of Mabie?
    Should we do all Dalbeattie and a cut down Mabie?

Am I stressing too much? Are people Ok if we were to finish Mabie around 6/6.30? I dont actually own lights but maybe end of September it's still dusk at that time?

What do people think? After riding Dalbeattie today, I still think I can get myself fit enough for 2 Stanes in 2 days but people will have to be pretty patient and we would need to set off riding at 10am if I am to get myself around both Stanes in a day.

Thanks for any constructive comments. I am trying to think about this so that the whole weekend is maximally fun and chilled and sociable for all who turn up as I would hate someone to turn up thinking the weekend was going to be to their liking and riding style and maybe it wasn't as good as they were hoping.

Cheers

Si

forge197
    Free Member

Simon – that is some post!!

I think you need to chill and relax.

Stick with the Kirroughtree on Saturday that is cool and leave the Sunday as a chilled ride in Dalbeattie followed by Lunch if rideres want it and Mabie as an option bear in made that would make a 26 mile ride, on top of a 20+ mile ride the day before. Personally I'd drop the Mabie ride and just have Dalbeattie and Lunch.

I wouldn't worry to much about making it the perfect biking weekend as those that go will make it what it is and the events that occur during the ride it will make it's own feel, and as it will be like minded people it will be fine.

CG did a cracking job of the Swinley ride in the new year, this one is a little easier as the trail is marked 🙂

So I would chill out and just bump the other thread once in a while to remind people, focus on the Saturday ride at Kirroughtree with the Sunday as an option ride.

cinnamon_girl

Simon – breathe deeply and r e l a x 🙂

I can understand how you are feeling, it's daunting and scary and you want to make sure everyone has a good time. Remember – mountain bikers are a pretty chilled crowd and enjoy the social vibe. It's not a race or or an endurance test.

Remember the Swinley ride you came to last year? Did I look stressed? Of course not! People come with the attitude that they will enjoy themselves.

I would say that with forge around to help out, that will make a big difference. (Thanks Paul for the compliment but this year's Swinley ride wouldn't have happened without your support 8)).

Don't over-estimate the distance you will be able to ride and don't be afraid to ask for more help.

househusband

I'm with forge197; Kirroughtree on Saturday and Dalbeattie on Sunday – hope to manage both days.

Relax!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ah cheers folks – I think if we stick to Dalbeattie on Sunday at 11, we can then take our time, have lots of fun without feeling rushed, and have a slap up pub lunch afterwards.

I was going to do some cake research in Dalbeattie after the ride today, but I think I ate my flapjack too quick on the way round and ended up with indigestion afterwards which wasn't fun. But yeah, will be going back in a couple of weeks and am sure to be able to check out the cake situation then.

scotabroad

Chill

As a regular local to both Dalbeattie and Mabie I would not be interested in tanking round the former to slog it round the latter. Personally I am pretty gooshed after clattering round Dalbeattie so I would just do the one and enjoy it, its not a race/ endurance test (or is it). 😯

Count me in for Dalbeattie. 🙂

cheers

S

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Hey Simon,

You have made the effort to arrange an STW weekend, kudos for that.

I believe the folk that have said they will come are all like minded in that they want to have a good day/weekend out having fun on bikes.

It is not about how quick or how many times you can do a loop but about having a good time, watching how it should be done, watching how it should not be done, having banter with fellow bikers, and most importantly eating cake.

Will be there one day at least
    Cheers
    Iain

radoggair
    Free Member

If ijs445ra is going then you'll only have time for 1 lap of Dalbeattie anyway.Come to think of it, better bring your lights, it may be dark when your done 😉

ijs445ra
    Free Member

radoggair – i will need lights because your ears block out 99% of natural light

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ah good stuff. Well it looks like no one is desperate to actually try and squeeze in Mabie as well – it's there if anyone wants to have a go in the late afternoon.

But I guess most people will be like me – want to have a change of clothes, wash the bike and pack it away, and then focus on pie and cake!

Yeah, I am sure Dalbeattie will be a lot more fun if we take it at a relaxed pace as there are lots of photo/comedy opportunities along the way where we can stop off and watch the skillz and spills of one another.

Is anyone actually planning to ride "The Slab" BTW?

househusband

Just booked myself a B&B for the night (Stables Guest House in Newton Stewart) so looking forward to a few drinks afterwards, and a chilled ride the following morning!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Househusband – great – I like Newton Stewart – we used to live there when I was 0 – 4. I guess you are probably doing the right thing then by not staying in Dumfries and missing our big night out.

One other plan was to have a meal out in the Galloway "food town" of Castle Douglas. We shall see what various people fancy. I can't see there being much in the way of drinks drunk in NS as people like me will be driving back home tho.

househusband

Crap – I thought, for some reason, that folk would be staying in NS..?! Is it in Dumfries that this 'big night out' is planned? Don't know D&Q much at all.

Trekster

Simon

Listen to C.G.RELAX & CHILL

You and I need to get together for a skillz session before the due dates.

I know a few little gems which will liven up everyones experience as will fotheringtonthomas. forge may know a few by now?

We could nip out to Colvend or Rockcliffe for a coffee and cake half way round(before Terrible Twins) 😆

Big night oot is in Dumfries(for those staying ther/here)

Pub crawl could include Greens, Lyver, Barrell, Hole in the Wa,Coach and Horses, Bizzare, Slipstream to name a few 😕

simonralli2
    Free Member

Househusband

Hi – panic not – you are the only person who has said you'll be staying the night. If you saw the original thread, I had suggested Dumfries as a B&B location for people if they fancied a night out, (Trekster and I live in Dumfries, Forge is local but not in Dumfries).

Yeah – if you look at the geography, Dumfries is the only big town around, although Castle Doughlas has its moments. Newton Stewart while obviously close to Kirroughtree is a little farther from Dalbeattie and Mabie, hence my suggestion of B&Bs in Dumfries.

However, a night out with me down the karaoke then a bit of clubbing amazingly enough does not seem to have enticed too many people. You'll have a nice time in Newton Stewart, and I will suggest again a 10am meet for an 11am ride on Sunday so plenty of time on the Sunday morning for breakfast and chilling.

Is it just you, out of interest, or you plus partner/friends?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Oh – Trekster – you posted while I was typing.

Yeah – we must go out for a ride some time. I was thinking Newcastleton on Tuesday and Ae on Thursday, then your local loop at the weekend. The midweek after I want to do Glentress Black as I have only ever done the red, and may also head back to Mabie and / or Dalbeattie.

On the Dalbeattie skillz loop, it isnt so much descending the rocks, it's the getting up which seems pretty impossible right now. It would be great to have some lessons so as not to embarrass myself too much on the big day 🙂

househusband

Is it just you, out of interest, or you plus partner/friends?

Just me, at the moment anyway, hence wanting to go with the status quo – will look for somewhere in Dumfries!

Trekster

Tue I am working

Thurs I could do Ae in the afternoon, night shift on Wed/Thurs

Weekend, may be able to do something on Sat but got to be in Carlisle for granddaughters birthday party late afternoon.
    Also going out to Ae, there is an all abilities bike demo which should be interesting.

Working Mon 14th and possibly organising a big day out with/for work colleagues and a few others Wed 16th.

it's the getting up which seems pretty impossible right now.

seemples as the meerkat would say. We have the solution, all we need to do is get together 😛

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ah right in that case you'd be more than welcome to come out in Dumfries. There are some good places – I am just off out in an hour or so myself.

Yeah – it is probably maybe an hour's drive from Newton Stewart/Kirroughtree to Dumfries, so if you get a B&B in Dumfries you can stay in bed longer on the Sunday morning. Dalbeattie is maybe a 20min drive from Dumfries down the A711 I think it is?

Trekster

hh, want/need some recommendations?

work/riding buddy has bb on Annan Rd, Saughtrees

Off top o heid

Hazeldean
    Torbay Lodge
    Langlands

What Simon says

Might even get Linda out 😆

simonralli2
    Free Member

Trekster – cheers for helping as I have no idea about B&Bs to recommend, although you see plenty of nice looking ones walking around.

I'll email you next week re Thursday to confirm. We could always do Dalbeattie as Ae is not set in Stane (scuse the pun 🙂 )

househusband

hh, want/need some recommendations?

work/riding buddy has bb on Annan Rd, Saughtrees

What's it called, John?

househusband

Doh – thought Saughtrees was a place, not the name of the B&B!

Cheers Simon.

Kit
    Free Member

Simon,

I will be there for Kirroughtree on Saturday, and Dalbeattie on Sunday. Got to catch a train on Sunday afternoon/evening so will not be entertaining a loop of Mabie! (probably).

I'll be passing by Dumfries from Lockerbie, so if anyone (househusband?) wants a lift then I can do that.

Cheers,
    Kit

P.S. Its going to be like the paparazzi with me, Stuart and Simon all taking photos!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Kit

Hi – well the upshot is that we will just be doing Dalbeattie on the Sunday in order to

a) let people have a lie in/ recover
    b) give others enough time to get there if travelling
    c) do lots of sessioning/showing off/falling off on the way round
    d) time for maybe someone to teach me how to trackstand before I buy my £3500 Trek 🙂
    e) give us time to ride Trekster's cheeky half-way-round detour for cake at a cafe
    f) time for a slap up pub lunch/beer/cake afterwards

I may even bring my video camera as I only made one quick video in Peru on my Canon IXUS and my youtube channel is feeling a bit neglected 😀

justme
    Free Member

will see if anyone is interested in coming up to do kirrythingy on the sat not sure about staying up there tho' (don't fancy the thought of drinking lots of nasty scottish keg beer)would need to camp if we did – suggestions please g

simonralli2
    Free Member

Hiya – you can purchase Carlsberg and Stella in Dumfries you know!

I don't really know about camping as I live here, but http://www.gorsebank.com is right by Dalbeattie if you wanted somewhere near there for the second ride. You could stay in one of their wigwams which would be cool.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘We need to discuss STW Forum ride Dalbeattie and maybe Mabie 27th September’ is closed to new replies.