• This topic has 46 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mttm.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • We have reached Peak LED
  • konabunny
    Free Member

In commuting, I mean. We are now at the point where people are riding with multiple LED lights pointing in each direction. One guy I saw tonight had five rear facing lamps, each set at a different pulse pattern and brightness. I know everyone worries about getting hit from behind but it’s not that big a risk compared to some dingbat pulling out in front of you or turning left across you. There’s no need to look like a freaking funfair ride

And multiple helmet-mounted LED lights ffs! Not to mention the genius who had a rear-facing gopro mounted to his rack approximately 3cm behind his rear light, almost totally obscuring it…

Does anyone else think we have reached LED saturation?

Northwind

I commute on an unlit NSL road, I want to be visible from space. (also, multiple rear lights gives you a bit of redundancy in case one fails)

mattyfez

Some people seem to go a bit mad with them..
    I think a well placed decent front and rear, with a spare in the backpack is enough personally.

Too many flashing lights, when I’m driving at night, is to distracting IMO.

JAG

Yep – redundancy is what it’s all about for me.

However I only run two rear lights, one on the bike and another on my rucksac, and a single front light with a spare torch in my rucksac.

I can recharge lights when I get to work and the only time I ever had a light stop working it was a rear light that got water inside after I rode into work in the rain!

I do think some people are overly concerned about lights and being seen. There’s only so much you can do to ‘help’ the crap drivers but I guess folks do as much as they can afford to avoid becoming another cycling statistic.

Good luck to them 😆

konabunny
    Free Member

I want to be visible from space

You must be one of those guys that points their lights upward…

PS the five LED light punter was riding across a part of London that’s so well lit it is literally visible from space

garage-dweller

One or two larger surface area medium bright lights to the rear is plenty.

Having something or a combination of somethings brighter than a car fog light that flashes in a way that would make a 90s rave look mundane is counter productive.

Blinding, dazzling or making the following vehicle need to divert their eyes at 50 yards + is dangerous to everyone. I followed someone recently whose rear light combo was so bright and the light pattern so random I could barely look at him as it hurt my eyes.

Want to improve your visibility get some Reflectives.

Northwind

mattyfez – Member

with a spare in the backpack

Can’t see any point to this. Spare on the backpack or bike, get some use out of it rather than just carrying it around.

Dickyboy

Want to improve your visibility get some Reflectives.

This +1 & on that note can anyone point me in the direction of some reflective tape for the mudguards? ta

mattyfez

One on the front, one on the back, two backups in the pack.

Poe – eat your heart out heheh!

johnnystorm

Plenty of reflective tape on ebay. I got some nice black stuff that reflects white but in the day is invisible on my black bike/lid.

MrAgreeable

can anyone point me in the direction of some reflective tape for the mudguards?

As above, just have a search on the ecommerce platform of your choice for “Scotchlite Tape”.

brooess
    Free Member

PS the five LED light punter was riding across a part of London that’s so well lit it is literally visible from space

five seems excessive but my experience of driving at night in London is the amount of ambient light from streetlights actually makes seeing people very very hard – there’s no contrast for bike lights to shine out against. It would be easier to spot cyclists lights if it were pitch black.

Best practice from what I can tell re bike lights is 2 front and 2 rear, one flashing and one constant each end – flashing to be noticed, constant to allow drivers to gauge your distance, also has the benefit of redundancy.

I took my front-facing helmet light off for a couple of night-time commutes last year on the basis it may be overkill and nearly got knocked off 3 times in one ride from people pulling out on me. It went straight back on – it’s a nice bright Moon and definitely works in terms of getting people to look before they step out into the road!

Also, having this many lights is to help my lawyers if I ever need them – much easier to laugh at the driver’s lawyer who claims the driver didn’t see me…

mattbee

Give the awful standard of driving down here in Portsmouth I insist that on my wife’s commute from the QA hospital to Havant that she is lit up like the Blackpool illuminations.
    Exposure Trace (I think) white & red on her helmet with the red on pulse. Joystick on flash on bars with a generic led thing with lots of side spill. 2 different led lights on rear, at different heights with one on constant and one on flash.
    She’s also got loads of retro-reflective tape on the rims and a big strip of it on her fluoro yellow rucksack cover.
    Despite all this she regularly reports near misses when people try dodgy overtakes, etc…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I have three on the back, all different models. So the current drain is different, they never go flat at the same time. Or even in the same month. None are particularly mad lights. Mid range flashy LEDs.

Two on the front, a “main” head light and a cheapy cateye all in one. The cateye gets used about once a year, if i end up riding a bit further than planned, or have a puncture. Normally i only need to swap the battery on the front after 75-90 minutes and thats it.

whitestone
    Free Member

Peaks LED shurely?

mattsccm
    Free Member

It’s the MTBers that over do it that wind me up.
    Flashing rear lights that blind anyone behind. Switch them off when off road.
    Bar and helmet lights on when riding 2 abreast on gravel. Dip the bloody things please. Better still don’t switch them on until its dark!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

but it’s not that big a risk compared to some dingbat pulling out in front of you

Except you can’t see them coming so can’t react.

And it really hurts

garage-dweller

Mattbee ime in that area bein seen is not always the issue. Portsmouth and Southampton just seems to have a major driver aggression issue. Not just to the “evil”that is people on bikes either. The bad attitude, impatience and aggression between drivers is escalating and seems to be combined with a downward trend in basic competence.

wwaswas

much easier to laugh at the driver’s lawyer who claims the driver didn’t see me…

get some pedal and wheel reflectors. I’ve seen lack of these being used in mitigation by defence lawyers recently.

Also, re: loads of lights – it’s about standing out against a background, in town there’s hundreds of light sources, oncoming vehicles, distractions. you need to be immediately visible as an ‘obstacle’ to someone driving towards/away/from your side – the more you can attract attention the better, imo.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Hub dyno front and rear on constant. Battery rear mounted far right of my carradice on flashing and a small white led at the top of the seat post facing forward, illuminating my legs and body. Huge increase in side visibility.

whitestone
    Free Member

@mattscm Part of my commute is on an unlit canal towpath, it’s a balancing act between having the light raised enough that you can see ahead but not raised to the point where you are blinding those coming in the opposite direction. I’m not going at excessive speed on this section, 24kmh at most, but it isn’t helped by many of those on the path including cyclists wearing all black and having no lights or reflective strips. MTB lights really aren’t suitable for on-road use though – they appear as a concentrated spot to other users which is very distracting.

smiffy

All pointless when the nob that kills you is gazing into his iPhone.

pdw
    Free Member

One on the front, one on the back, two backups in the pack.

How often do you check that your one rear light is still working?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

spare lights for redundancy? lame. just carry spare batteries.

mattsccm
    Free Member

,” it’s a balancing act between having the light raised enough that you can see ahead but not raised to the point where you are blinding those coming in the opposite direction.”
    Agreed, but when bikes approach its only good manners to dip your lights to a point where they don’t blind others. If that means slowing down then so be it. So many don’t and so many use lights in a anti social way. On a manky day like today I would have a small front light on but so many use their weapons grade stuff at dusk.
    Just basic lack of concern for others.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

When it’s cold wet dark and miserable i really can’t be bothered, stopping, cracking light cases open (one or two require screwdrivers) unless i REALLY need to.

chiefgrooveguru

I do one steady and one flashing at each end, plus one on my head to shine at drivers who haven’t seen me or are ignoring me and about to pull out when it’s my right of way!

stumpy01

brooess – Member

Best practice from what I can tell re bike lights is 2 front and 2 rear, one flashing and one constant each end – flashing to be noticed, constant to allow drivers to gauge your distance, also has the benefit of redundancy.

This is my take on it.
    One flashy rear light & one permanent on.
    Until recently I only had a fixed front light, but bought one of the Aldi specials (Moon rip-offs) and now use that as a front flasher.

I don’t understand the point of a ‘spare in a pack’. I use both rear lights at the same time and because one is on permanent & one on flashing they have vastly different run times. As soon as the permanent one looks to be dimming, both lights get charged. I definitely don’t want to be carrying a spare light in a pocket or pack – it might as well be on & being used if I have to carry it.
    Spare batteries – what’s the point? Most of the weight of the light unit is taken up by the batteries so again, you might as well have them in a light, turned on & working.

The one thing I would like to get is a light that attaches to the back of my helmet – just to give a higher position. I was going to get one of those flexible Chilli-Tech ones:
    http://www.chilli-tech.com/bike-lights/bike-helmet-light-led
    but it takes those stupid button batteries, rather than a couple of AAA’s, which has put me off.

busta
    Free Member

As important as having more than one light is having them in different places. A light high up, on the back of the helmet means you can be seen over the top of cars. But more than a couple of lights, especially if they are all in one cluster, is silly.

Pedal reflectors, however naff they are, are the most distinctive signal to other road users that you are on a bike. Maybe bike shoes should have reflective heels.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

A) not one single pedal i have has space for a pedal reflector. The bodge on jobbies get smashed off in seconds.
    B) all my winter/commute shoes/overshoes already do have reflective tabs/straps/loops.

imnotverygood

Don’t moan about the symptom. It’s the cause that needs to be dealt with. Why is it that people feel the need to do this?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

One light at the front is enough.

chakaping
    Free Member

Having something or a combination of somethings brighter than a car fog light that flashes in a way that would make a 90s rave look mundane is counter productive.

Blinding, dazzling or making the following vehicle need to divert their eyes at 50 yards + is dangerous to everyone. I followed someone recently whose rear light combo was so bright and the light pattern so random I could barely look at him as it hurt my eyes.

Couldn’t agree more. Bizarrely selfish (or thoughtless) to overdo it as much as some riders do.

Genuinely quite a harrowing experience trying to overtake one of these twerps.

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t moan about the symptom. It’s the cause that needs to be dealt with.

We’re smart enough to consider both, I think.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

1x biblical bright magicshine

1x silicone LED thingy on my helmet.

1x light on my backpack/jersey

My thinking is that by having lights spread out it gives car drivers more to judge distances with, although the jersey/backpack one is mostly for redundancy.

aphex_2k – Member
    lame. just carry spare batteries.

Except batteries in a damp pocket are just going to short/leak pretty quickly. Maybe if there was some sort of waterproof case they could be kept in, it could even have a couple of LED’s in it to double up as spare light in an emergency…………..

andyfla
    Free Member

I bought a tracer 360 from the states last winter – bloody awesome thing – dont really bother with a bike light now – the best thing is car drivers pulling up next to you telling you it looks fantastic and you really stand out
    Tracer Video

chakaping
    Free Member

Ravetastic!

andyfla
    Free Member

Ravetastic!

Yup, and they make the roads come alive !

mrblobby
    Free Member

Fine if you want to check every few minutes that the light is still working. Can’t be arsed with that.

FWIW one big bright solid red light (Exposure Red Eye) and a smaller slow flashing cateye here. Plus a reflector and some reflective trim on the guards.

And just because the driver can see you, much like in daylight, it doesn’t mean they won’t still drive like a dick.

brooess
    Free Member

Doesn’t solve the problem at all. If a rear light dies whilst you’re riding, you won’t know. Having two or three on at the same time means if one goes, you’re still legal and still lit up, and therefore still safe.

+ all my lights are rechargeable – most being USB so spare batteries not an option.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘We have reached Peak LED’ is closed to new replies.