Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 482 total)
  • We Christians
  • Cougar

Wait, I think I get it.

Its the Sin not the sinner thats the issue!!

It’s not the religious that’s the issue, it’s religion.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Someone sum up the term “Christian values” as it is commonly used.

Don’t try to be clever, just sum up what most people would describe as Christian values.

Go on, do it with no negativity, I dare ya!

Edukator
    Free Member

I don’t consider homosexuality a sin, however, I fail to see how a Christian can consider homosexuality anything but a sin. If you cherry pick the Bible for the bits you like you’re not a Christian IMO. Same for Muslims. True Muslims should go around murdering people they can’t convert to Islam or they are not true Muslims.

Why we tolerate two books that demand followers to murder enemies of their religion I have no idea. Ban the Bible, ban the Koran!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Quoting Luke eh. I can do that too:

Luke 19 27

“But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me.”

But also “the weapons of our warfare are not fleshly” – they are his words of wisdom.

I always a mistake to read the bible without attempting to understand it in context. For anti-Christians, it often seems to be a deliberate mistake.

[enemy slaughtered] 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Since we have the combination of a Christian State and a tolerant (for the most part) and secular society, I see no harm in a Prime Minister making such a statement.

Like his predecessors, though, I would then expect him to live up to those ideals that he obviously supports but appreciate that like the rest of us, he will more likely fail.

GEDA
    Free Member

Consumerism is just as much a religion as god stuff. The only difference is that some company is convincing you that you have to buy the latest bike for example to make your life worth while. Leading to total devastation of the planet. Consumerism touches the same buttons as religion (Saints, visions of perfections that we can aspire to, or super models or sports stars that we can aspire to and become if only we buy some rubbish product)

I am sure it is the same physiological brain circuits are at work. Just face it humans are pretty illogical and stupid in this respect. Either if you do things through believing in gods or goods.

Edukator
    Free Member

I understand it in context, Buzz. A bunch of rebels about to enter a town with the leader on a stolen donkey who has ordered the stoning of anyone who tries to stop him. He enters the town and successfully occupies the temple.

Edit: cutting throats is usually fatal.

Cougar

Someone sum up the term “Christian values” as it is commonly used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_values

The term Christian values historically refers to the values derived from the teachings of Jesus and taught by Christians throughout the history of the religion. The term has various applications and meanings, and specific definitions can vary widely between denominations, geographical locations, and different schools of thought.

So for a start, there’s no such thing as common usage. But let’s roll with that for now.

The biblical teachings of Jesus include:[1]

love of God: “You shall love the Lord your God with all of your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind” (an excerpt from the Shema ,-Matthew 22:37
    fidelity in marriage: “Whom God has joined together let no man put asunder”
    renunciation of worldly goods: “Gather not your riches up upon this earth, for there your heart will be also”,
    renunciation of violence: “If a man strikes you on one cheek, turn the other cheek”,
    forgiveness of sins: “Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us”,
    unconditional love: “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you”.

So, Christian value #1 is ‘be a Christian’, unsurprisingly.

#2, Fidelity in marriage. That’s pretty good. So long as it’s between a man and a woman, anyway.

#3, “gather not riches” – that’s Cameron being a hypocrite straight out of the gate, then.

#4, don’t be violent. Sage advice.

#5, forgiveness of sins, yeah, forgiveness is good.

#6, love your enemies. I don’t really understand how this can work in practice, but as a value I guess it’s not wholly dissimilar to #5.

So that’s it. Be a Christian, don’t cheat on your partner, don’t be a Tory, don’t be a thug, don’t persecute those who aren’t Christians.

I’ll leave the other half of the entry, “Contemporary use in American politics”, as an exercise for the reader, as you asked me not to be negative. It’s interesting reading though, and might explain why us “hate-filled” atheists get a bit vexed sometimes.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Consumerism is just as much a religion as god stuff.

See Cargo Cult

yossarian
    Free Member

Nail em up
    Nail some sense into em

crikey
    Free Member

Not really wanting to get involved in yet another pointless debate about religion, but I’m always surprised that religion in general hasn’t managed to come to terms with homosexuality, when homosexuality is far older than any religion.

It’s another pointer to the idea that religion (in general) is a form of tribal/social control and that the lack of offspring from homosexual relationships represents a perceived problem for the tribe.

Anyway, as you were…

GEDA
    Free Member

Greeks and Romans did not seem to have much issue with homosexuality and they had plenty of gods.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Fortunatly cougar all the love filled Christians do their best to couter act your Hate.

You have summed up your position nicely

and might explain why us “hate-filled” atheists get a bit vexed sometimes.

But dont worry regardless of what you do or who your are God loves you.

GEDA
    Free Member

The Cargo cult seems to be more about they have no clue how the stuff is created so had to make up some “Religious” aspect to it. What I mean is that people are attracted to religion as it promises to make their lives better. Just the same as consumerism when in fact this is a totally illogical fact. How is a flat screen TV or 1 more inch of travel really going to make your life any better?

Cougar

The problem with homosexuality is there’s no children, so you don’t get free ready-made believers. Same as the ‘every sperm is sacred’ trope; the churches know that it’s a lot easier to have kids brought up as believers rather than try to convert them after they’ve grown up and started thinking for themselves. And if you’re not reproducing, you’re not making little believers of tomorrow.

At least with Christianity though, their policy is variably to tolerate or convert other faiths rather than put them to death. So it could be worse.

Edukator
    Free Member

It strikes me that the bible has become an emabarrassment to the Christian church(es) and the Koran has become an embarrassment to moderate Islam.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Styevewhyte – that is the offensiveness of godism in a few words.

God is imaginary. I find you telling me

But dont worry regardless of what you do or who your are God loves you.

Incredibly patronising and offensive.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

as you asked me not to be negative. It’s interesting reading though, and might explain why us “hate-filled” atheists get a bit vexed sometimes.

Nope. Couldn’t do it without (hilarious) cynicism.

there’s no such thing as common usage

Deliberately being obtuse. Tedious.

I’ll make it clearer. What would people say if you asked them to verbally state what Christian values were?

Cougar

You have summed up your position nicely

You saw the quote marks, yes? You read the other half of that link I gave you?

I’m not hate-filled, I’m simply very strongly opposed to a set of ‘values’ which promote intelligent design, repress sexuality, enforce prayer and criminalise homosexuality.

Cougar

Nope. Couldn’t do it without (hilarious) cynicism.

No one asked me not to be cynical.

Deliberately being obtuse. Tedious.

Well, no, if I was deliberately being obtuse then I wouldn’t have followed it with the second sentence which you conveniently failed to quote. I was specifically saying that the question didn’t have a simple answer, by definition, but was going to try anyway.

GEDA
    Free Member

Cougar. You should become a Quaker then or other more tolerant forms of Christianity. CofE and the Catholic church have no problem with evolution as far as I can remember. Gene Robinson anyone? As with all human thought tit is a broad church.

kennyp
    Free Member

Show me an example of this aethiest hatred

Here you go then, from this very thread.

Personally I though they were just a knee jerk bunch of **** wits hell bent on imposing a 4000 year old moral code on us all whilst worshiping the invisible sky fairy who wants the spread of AIDS and a huge infant mortality rate interspersed with the odd holywar/crusade

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Would you honestly be able to say you weren’t being negative in your listing?

And, are you are telling me that if I asked 100 people what they would describe as Christian values, the majority would say they hadn’t a clue; that it was too complex a question?

Edukator
    Free Member

Christian values: the teachings of Jesus which include the teachings of Moses in Leveticus Jesus supports.

Given the number of those rules I’ve already broken and that I have no intention of repenting (some of those sins count among the best moments of my life) then I’m definitly going to hell according to the Bible. In fact my brain will stop working and I’ll be incinerated. The end.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The Cargo cult seems to be more about they have no clue how the stuff is created so had to make up some “Religious” aspect to it.

Say what you like about the Cargo Cult but they don’t necessarily get everything wrong :

“The Yaohnanen believe that Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, the consort to Queen Elizabeth II, is a divine being; the pale-skinned son of a mountain spirit and brother of John Frum. According to ancient tales, the son travelled over the seas to a distant land, married a powerful lady and would in time return. The villagers had observed the respect accorded to Queen Elizabeth II by colonial officials and concluded that her husband, Prince Philip, must be the son from their legends.”

I can’t really argue with that.

Who was John Frum anyway ?

crikey
    Free Member

As with all human thought tit is a broad church.

Aye, everybody likes tits, even them gay fellas!

kennyp
    Free Member

As an experiment, why doesn’t someone on here who is gay go into one of the mainstream Christian churches, say that they are gay and see what sort of welcome they get.

It’s my bet that they’ll be welcomed with open arms by the vast majority of the folk in the church who couldn’t give two hoots about their sexuality.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If that is so they are not very good christians as the bible says

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Leviticus 20:13

FeeFoo
    Free Member

As an experiment, why doesn’t someone on here who is gay go into one of the mainstream Christian churches, say that they are gay and see what sort of welcome they get.

It’s my bet that they’ll be welcomed with open arms by the vast majority of the folk in the church who couldn’t give two hoots about their sexuality.

100% spot-on.

kaesae
    Free Member

Christianity = Rome in disguise, same philosophy and tyrannical behaviour.

Christianity has nothing to do with jesus or the way, it’s just a bunch of evil bastards that use blind faith and a desire by week minded people to believe in something bigger than themselves, it’s a way of getting dim witted people to do what they’re told.

No wonder Cameron likes the idea of it 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Or if you want a bit more biblical hatred

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

So – homosexuals should be put to death and anyone trying to convert you to another religion should be killed. Nice stuff Christians.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They would probably be told, quite rightly, that they were wretched sinners.

But on the plus side, that Jesus loves them. Which I guess evens things out a bit.

And is rather nice.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

TJ, forgetting your cutting-and-pasting-from-the-Bible skills, would you agree that kennyp’s hypothetical welcome is likely to happen?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

@stevewhyte so basically you’re a homophobe with only the most rudimentary grasp of spelling and grammar who believes in a wizard who lives in the sky.

Edit: You’re not a teacher are you?

kaesae
    Free Member

Hang on, Jesus isn’t anything to do with christianity, that’s slander innit!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Feefoo – not from good practising christians – they should kill you on the spot. Thats if they obey the injunctions in the bible.

Seriously – in some liberal western churches maybe – not in most of the world.

crikey
    Free Member

I think, in the midst of all this hyperbole, it’s a s well to remind ourselves that we are generally talking about the Church of England.

You’re more likely to get a weak cup of tea and some cake than a stoning, and more likely to get scones than killed.

…as you were, freedom fighters!

FeeFoo
    Free Member

“wizard in the sky” ha ha, it’s funny cos it’s making fun of someone’s stupidity, ha ha.

Hateful and tedious.

Edukator
    Free Member

Did Jesus endorse that Deuteronomy passage, TJ? If not Christians can ingore it unlike your Leveticus quote as Jesus taught the Moses stuff.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No – its the religious that are hateful and tedious along with their foul patronising and prejudicial assumption of (moral) supreriority.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 482 total)

The topic ‘We Christians’ is closed to new replies.