Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • We buy any car?
  • djglover
    Free Member

Has anyone used them.

Currently trying to sell a Seat Ibiza privately. I’m asking 3.3K, had 2 offers of 2.7 and 2.8K.

WBAC are offering 3.4K via the website, including the damage that I have listed, seems too good to be true but have booked an appointment as I’d bite their hand off at that price?!

jam-bo

they’ll offer you a lot less when they get there..

IHN

Isn’t their trick to offer much less once you’re actually there?

curvature
    Free Member

Just about to say the same.

They offer a good price to get you to go along but when they actually value it the price will be a lot less.

Bregante

It will be interesting to see what they say when they’ve seen it.

ThePinkster

jam bo – Member
    they’ll offer you a lot less when they get there..

I’ve not used them myself but I have heard of several stories from people who work for us of this happening.

Don’t sign anything until you’ve seen the money.

firestarter
    Free Member

I used them three times first two I got what they quoted ended up with more than I could have sold for but last time they offered half what website suggested I walked away

molgrips
    Free Member

They offered me £50 for my old car, I sold it for £800.

weeksy

We are aware they’re a business and have to re-sell the cars and make a profit ?

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

when I was selling a car I got a price on their website and took it in. The engineer who checked it openly said they just give you a price to get you in , then they talk it down. I didn’t hear a dicky bird until 3 weeks later when they started contacting me with ever more twatty offers .cowboys

rkk01
    Free Member

Sold the S-Max via WBAC, late last year.

They knocked us down £75 per wheel on the state of the alloys (which we expected – just not that much!).

Including the reductions, they offered about £100 less than the highest bid it received on ebay. I haggled and we split the difference, so I ended up just £50 less than the proce that it didn’t sell for on the bay…

Ohhh, and they failed to spot the holed exhaust pipe that I had patched and that wasn’t about to get through the iminent MoT 😉

So, all in all, getting rid of a 2nd hand car is always painful, but provided you’ve already faced up to the fact that it’s worth bugger all, then WBAC kind of gets the job done

stevious

My wife used them for her car earlier this year. Got pretty close to the website value (only deductions were processing fees IIRC) and was a very swift, professional transaction.

djglover
    Free Member

I got more trade in, so very happy in the end.

spacemonkey

They offer a good price to get you to go along but when they actually value it the price will be a lot less.

Most likely. However, they offered me such a sh1t price (online and over the phone) on our Focus last year that I didn’t even bother going along. Made a lot more selling privately.

tarquin
    Free Member

I got more trade in, so very happy in the end.

Trade in price doesn’t matter, total cost to change is the number to look at.

Trade in price, finance rate and the new vehicle cost can all be moved around by the dealer to help you feel you are getting a good deal, but the overall cost to you is all you should worry about.

aidanoggy
    Free Member

I sold a car through them earlier in the year. Valued it on the website, and was very honest about damage etc. the valuation was quite a bit less than I wanted ideally, but I wanted rid of the car. The process with them was easy and painless and I actually got a few quid more than the valuation because I.d accidentally overstated the mileage by 300.
    If you’re looking for top dollar you.ll be disappointed , if you want an easy hassle free sale and can accept the valuation I’d recommend them from my experience.

theotherjonv

They got done for this business model of quote high and then when they get there offer far less, adding on all manner of costs, etc., a few months, maybe even a couple of years back. I think it might have even been the ASA over misleading adverts?

Since then it sounds like they are a bit more honest in their initial quotes. But haggling’s to be expected, it is a business.

[found it: http://www.oft.gov.uk/news-and-updates/press/2011/46-11 ]

rugbydick

When I wanted to sell my BMW X5, they offered me 17 grand via their website.
    I sold it privately in the end for 26k…

They then spent the next 12 months bombarding me with text messages about how much it might be worth now.
    Never again!

patriotpro
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    We are aware they’re a business and have to lie to/mislead prospective sellers to re-sell the cars and make a profit ?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Don’t sign anything until you’ve seen the money.

This is all you need to know.

zigzag69
    Free Member

+1 aidanoggy

Be completely honest when evaluating your car for damage and filling out all the details on the website – I think I missed one thing that they picked up when they did the actual check – can’t really remember, but I think that cost me £75 off the actual quoted value.

Don’t forget the £50 admin fee as well, probably the only thing that annoyed me. That and the fact that if you wanted the money in your account the next day, that would cost you an additional £25.

Go into it with your eyes open, and be realistic – It suited us. We wanted shot of the car quickly, we knew we could have got more if we sold it privately. The convenience was worth it for us.

russianbob
    Free Member

I’ve used them and they seemed really fair actually. Was honest about the damage when using the website and don’t think they knocked owt off.

djglover
    Free Member

Following on from my OP. I’m quite supprised by the value that the car trade can extract from old cars.

My old car is for sale for £4999. Most I could get private £2850. Trade in £3600

http://www.thecarpeople.co.uk/find-a-car/car-details/seat-ibiza-wakefield-204694.htm

No doubt someone will buy it with finance netting them another £1K over 5 years

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I find it almost impossible to find decent cars for sale privately now. You get the odd thing, but its pretty much a case of choosing from whats happens to be for sale.

Search for a local Ford Focus betwee 2-5k; 12 private sales vs 114 dealer.

djglover
    Free Member

Cos everyone expects a bargain buying privatley to cover for repairs. At least you get some comeback from a reputable trader

nealglover
    Free Member

No doubt someone will buy it with finance netting them another £1K over 5 years

It would be the Finance Company that makes the profit on that.

The dealer would just get some commission from the finance company.

(Unless the dealer is big enough to own their own Finance Company ?)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘We buy any car?’ is closed to new replies.