• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by SOAP.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • We are going riding in the Lakes but what One walk would you recommend?
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Needs to be around 6 miles in length with a pub for lunch.
    Fingers crossed the pub will be open.
    The route would ideally be on Viewranger or compatible.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cat bells, pub in portinscale.

ElShalimo

There an excellent cafe in Portinscale

lapierrelady

Pub in the middle of the walk, or pub at the end?

mrb123
    Free Member

Melbreak and the Kirkstile.

Or

Haystacks and Buttermere and the Bridge Inn.

ampthill

Fair field horseshoe. No pub 7 miles.

Ferry from Glenriding to Howtown walk back. 6 miles I think. No pub

Elterwater up langdale valley to Stickle barn (pub) walk back to Elterwater. Paths on both sides of the valley. 6 miles I think

matt_outandabout

Where in the lakes are you staying, its a sizeable place…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

And when are you thinking of going?

slowoldman

When are the pubs re-opening?

bob_summers

I’d base myself in Seathwaite (Turner Hall campsite, Newfield pub) and do the fell race route from there ie Grey Friar, Swirl Howe, Old Man, Dow Crag.

honeybadgerx

If you can ride down the Parkamoor descent on a gravel bike saying how much better it is now and chasing a grey squirrel while you do so, you’d possibly succeed in making the forum explode.

TomB

Lots of options, once you choose a preferred area happy to add suggestions. Also- how adventurous? How experienced? What time of year?

SOAP
    Free Member

Staying just off Windermere and not worried about driving to a location to walk.
    We are not seasoned walkers and have only started walking since lockdown.
    Plan to ride whinlatter, loop round and over Skiddaw plus a loop out of Grizedale.
    So they are the areas and views we will see.

ampthill

Up the langdale valley would be my vote then. Pub lunch in Elterwater

Presumably you don’t actually mean over Skidaw summit. It would be a bit out if line with your other rides. I have ridden round Skidaw once but know South lakes better. I wonder if there might be better rides in the South Lakes

FyI pub mid walk is a major constraint. Loads of great tarns and low peaks would yield a better walk IMHO

If your new to the lakes your in for a treat

matt_outandabout

Staying just off Windermere

As above, Elterwater / Chapel Stile / Grasmere area has loads of paths, well signposted and great atmosphere for a walk. Likely to be quite busy.

BadlyWiredDog

Fair field horseshoe. No pub 7 miles.

I was thinking Fairfield, but there’s so much to go at round there. You could always nip up Helvellyn via Striding Edge.

I’d spec by time rather than by miles fwiw.

Spud

If nothing too technical, then there’s a good low-level loop around the western shore of Coniston Water and back up to the village. All footpaths and easy to navigate, just take a map in case. No pub en-route but assume you plan on going when they can open again, several in Coniston.

ampthill

If you want me to generate a gpx for a langdale walk just let me know. Either give me your starting point or I’ll choose a carpark for you

SOAP
    Free Member

@ampthill that would be great. gchippetteATmsnDOTcom
    We have rode a Loughrigg loop before so I’m guessing this walk is close by.
    On the subject of Skiddaw. I took the mrs up there bout 4 years ago and made her cry when we went down to Ullock pike. Lol
    2 years ago we really wanted to ride Ullock pike again so tried to hike a bike up to it and failed.
    This time the mrs has suggested doing Skiddaw again to access Ulluock

Thank you for all the other suggestions. I will check them out

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘We are going riding in the Lakes but what One walk would you recommend?’ is closed to new replies.