Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • We are a nation of Fat TV sloths
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

How do people find 4hrs of anything worth watching? Everyday…
    Fortunately people are still reading too…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28677674

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Netflix

br
    Free Member

There is loads of good telly on, and tbh once you add sport into the mix not hard.

epicyclo

Mr Woppit – Member
    Netflix

Yup, just got it. (We are dumping our live to air because I refuse to pay the BBC propaganda service tax anymore).

So I’ve just spent the last few evenings fat arse in chair watching Breaking Bad episode after episode.

Should be fixing a puncture, but the arse magnet is too powerful… 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fortunately people are still reading too…

We are a nation of Fat TV reading sloths

Why is sitting on your arse reading better than sitting on your arse watching TV in terms of getting fat?

Forge_Master
    Free Member

pronhub

D0NK

Why is sitting on your arse reading better than sitting on your arse watching TV in terms of getting fat?

tv puts you into an almost hypnotic state and you burn less calories than sitting chatting, reading, doing mental arithmetic or a plethora of other seated activities.

Tho admittedly you’re not gonna lose serious weight by sitting reading

I wonder if the NHS/whoever has considered confiscating fat peoples TVs. Tele (and computer games) are a massize time sink – of which I’ve lost several months worth to myself over the years – get rid of those and chances are your activity levels will sky rocket.

<edit> I’m having trouble finding a reputable link to support this, so not sure if I’m regurgitating internet twaddle
    <edit 2> Here we go
    Watching television expends fewer calories than other leisure activities that take its place, including reading, writing, telephone conversations and desk work.
    5hours of TV per day for americans!

mudshark
    Free Member

Stimulates the mind at least.

I have Virgin/Tivo which does seem to give me a wealth of suitable viewing, fortunately I prefer to be outside mostly.

Cougar

Watching television expends fewer calories than other leisure activities that take its place, including reading, writing, telephone conversations and desk work.

Isn’t that a bit disingenuous though? The calories burned in all of those cases is “not much”, you might as well compare drinking water against breathing.

I note also that ‘spodding’ is missing from these lists. How does watching TV compare with arguing on the Internet? It’s no wonder I’m such a racing snake.

GregMay
    Free Member

Stimulates the mind at least.

No more so than watching any TV you’ve to concentrate on.

FWIW, we don’t have a TV. I spend to much of my day sitting about at work anyway.

Jamie
    Free Member

fortunately I prefer to be outside mostly.

GrahamS

How does watching TV compare with arguing on the Internet?

I get loads of exercise simply from climbing up and down from my horse.

RustySpanner

Depends what you’re watching.

D0NK

I note also that ‘spodding’ is missing from these lists. How does watching TV compare with arguing on the Internet?

All that raised blood pressure has got to knock a few extra Kjs out.

(but yeah grahams’ was better)

Jamie
    Free Member

Sounds like a bit of a ‘mare to be honest.

footflaps

Pah, lightweight. I never leave my high horse!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Indeed, it’s surprisingly strenuous…he won’t be able to keep it up furlong.

Jamie
    Free Member

Indeed, it’s surprisingly strenuous…he won’t be able to keep it up furlong.

He’ll be able to do it, neigh bother.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Yes we are, my username says so

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

He’ll be able to do it, neigh bother.

If you’re pasture prime then it can be a struggle.

D0NK

trying to stirrup trouble jamie? You should rein it in a bit before you come a crupper.

Hope you don’t bridle at my suggestion, maybe I should change tack, you seem a pretty stable bloke normally

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

reading, doing mental arithmetic or a plethora of other seated activities.

Pah! I use a calculator and do really long sums. (I also don’t use “pah!” As a statement opener, but there you are)

EDIT don’t get a long face about…

GrahamS

Yeah but I’m saddled with it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tbh getting on the horse isn’t that strenuous, 2 laps of the moral high ground and a run up the ivory tower and I’m knackered though. Hardly have enough time to collect rocks to toss at the neighbours from my green house.

Being better is so much like hard work.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘We are a nation of Fat TV sloths’ is closed to new replies.