Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)
  • WCA ankle picture update – chicks dig scars?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Can you tell what it is yet?

Pretty sticthing

A fracture blister, apparently quite rare, and unfortunately this has burst leaving goo all over the place

Clean with iodine and de-roof the burst blister

Cleaned up, stitches removed and a few steristrips where the wound didn’t quite seal then you are on your way!

Unfortunately they are worried about infection so it is another back slab instead of a proper cast and another visit in a couple of days to re-assess.

Sorry if this thread is of no interest to most of you lot but it is the easiest way of sharing the news with those who are as I cannot use Facebook.

zokes
    Free Member

as I cannot use Facebook.

Why?

portlyone

Hmm think I’ll have ham hock for dinner.

DezB
    Free Member

I found this very hard to masturbate over.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Cannot use Facebook – Monitored by work with some strangely draconian measures taken if they deem your posting to have the potential to damage the company, their image or the prospect of placing you with clients. Basically not worth the hassle of explaining any post they choose to pick on.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

DezB – But as a true professional I am sure you stuck with it to the end 😉

Crell
    Free Member

That actually looks pretty good and now you’re in a backslab it’s amazing how quickly it’ll heal.

willard

Awesome! People in the office gave this about an 8.5 out of 10 for gruesomeness.

What’s the score with it now? Is it fused, or does it have some movement in it? Have they said how long it will take to heal up properly yet, or is that purely dependent on how quickly the post-op infection takes to clear up?

Get well soon by the way.

jambalaya
    Free Member

‘kin ‘ell – the best I can say is at least that looks like a foot unlike the earlier photos 😥

As always best wishes WCA

In order “bond” with you I’ll dig out some photos Vietnam’s approach to road safety public info warnings, ie some gruesome photos posted on a large notice board outside the hospital in Ha Noi

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Can you give us a recap on how you did it for those that missed that episode.

scaled
    Free Member

Mostly Balanced – Member
    Can you give us a recap on how you did it for those that missed that episode.

It was some serious rock and roll, live fast die young shit 😉

TimP
    Free Member

It is a bit early, maybe try again later?

kimbers

frankenstein!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Truely Gross.

Keep it to yourself..

(joke)

If you put a sock on it you’d never know it was there.

BOL and GWS.

br
    Free Member

Cannot use Facebook – Monitored by work with some strangely draconian measures taken if they deem your posting to have the potential to damage the company, their image or the prospect of placing you with clients. Basically not worth the hassle of explaining any post they choose to pick on.

Is this becasue you are using a company mobile or do they actually monitor your personal online usage from any device?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Need to wait 12 weeks for then to decide whether to fuse, amputate or leave along.

How did I do it? Saving small children from a wild eagle attack while balanced on a ladder for charity*

*some if this sentence is true

Previously – leg bone pushing out to the left forming white circle. Foot completely dislocated and moving up the shin. Heel totally dislocated and moving forward with the tib and fib resting hard against it. Talus bone which should be on the end of the leg bones is hiding out of shot to the right of the leg bones

br
    Free Member

100% your fault or some equipment failure?

tbh I hate ladders, and use them quite often at home – but scaffold can also be hairy, when its cheap/home stuff.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It could have been 100% my fault, ladder not tied on etc, but I am definitely blaming the wild eagle attack and am going after Bill Oddie and the RSPB for compensation 😉

GrahamS

Second most horrific picture on STW today. Good work.

althepal

I remember my temp back slab being taken off the day after I had mine pinned and plated (not quite as impressive as yours mind..). As the cut down the middle and pulled the two sides apart it opened up the wounds on both sides and blood pished out.. I fainted- prob due to the amount of blood lost quickly.. Ahem.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Second most horrific picture on STW today. Good work.

Most horrific?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

You win!

Pass the mind bleach

Kato

DezB – Member

😆 arf

Get well soon WCA, that’s pretty gruesome

jet26
    Free Member

Good luck with it all, sounds like they are looking after you.

Have seen plenty of patients with injuries that were horrendous do way better than they logically should have done, will keep fingers crossed!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Good effort there!

The goo, bit wiffy was it? Pretty nurse passing out from the stench or just an oozing of non smelly gunk?

Has Mrs WCA banned you from ever doing anymore ladder climbing?

restless
    Free Member

I was just eating an egg sandwich when I looked at these pictures and your blister gunk looks like my egg yolk.

Not a nice thought. 😕

atlaz
    Free Member

Green egg yolk? You may need to return that or are you this bloke?

Naranjada
    Free Member

Ooo, that looks nasty.

I don’t think that my suggestion of an Ilizarov would necessarily have done the trick, it looks pretty complicated down there.

I had a fracture blister on my leg just above the ankle but I was lucky as it didn’t pop, it simply dried up and withered away after a couple of months. It’s weird as it seemed to me at the time that the thing the doctors knew least about was the cause of fracture blisters.

I know you know this but keep everything as clean as you can, I used chlorhexidine twice a day to clean the places where the wires entered my leg etc. Bone infection is something that you really do not want!

Best of luck, get well soon.

boblo
    Free Member

Was this:

WorldClassAccident – Member
    Need to wait 12 weeks for then to decide whether to fuse, amputate or leave alone

In answer to this:

DezB – Member

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

the thing the doctors knew least about was the cause of fracture blisters.

I had an interesting conversation with on the the Drs/Nurses about this.

Me) I have Googled this and seems they are quite rare and no-one has a firm policy on how to deal with fracture blisters, what is this hospitals policy?
    Them ) It is under review
    Me) What was it?
    Them ) It was out of date and we can’t discuss it
    Me ) What is the current practise?
    Them ) It is under review
    Me ) So what are you going to do? Google suggests leaving the ones that don’t burst alone and de-roofing the ones that have burst to remove the risk of infection from dead skin
    Them ) Sounds reasonable, we will do that then
    Me ) Would I get a different treatment if I used Bing instead og Google?
    Them ) Don’t be stupid, no-one uses Bing. Pass the iodine…

Diane
    Free Member

Oh my goodness that sounds horrific and yes – infection is your worst enemy. Good luck with the healing and get straight back at the first sign of any infection!

You might just as well have done Red Bull Rampage after all – less dangerous – only bruised heels to be had there 😀

DezB
    Free Member

I had an interesting conversation with on the the Drs/Nurses about this.

Must be reassuring to be in the hands of professionals.

tinsy
    Free Member

That was pretty broken, is there any hope they are just giving you the worst outlook, but you might well heal up pretty well from this?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I should heal up but there is 0% chance of the blood supply to the ankle joint surviving. This means that rather than the bone growing back and healing it will remain highly fragmented.

They have a couple of screws holding the bottom of the tibeia on and a couple of screws holding the two biggest bits of the talus together but a lot of the rest is just rubble.

They need to decide if they should leave me walking on the remains of the ankle and hope it holds or try and fuse the joint. From what I have read, fusing the joint basically means encouraging the bones to grow together by removing their protective layer. Not sure how this works if the bones are not growing. If those two options aren’t viable I shall be getting a direct implant SPD grafted on where the foot used to be.

emsz
    Free Member

Oh god that is the grossest thing I’ve ever seen I actually did a little sick up

DezB you are a sicko 🙂

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

If those two options aren’t viable I shall be getting a direct implant SPD grafted on where the foot used to be.

God forbid, if you end up going that route, make sure you hook up with a fellow cyclist unidexter* missing their left foot, then you can share shoes and save 50% on cycling footware!

*thanks to Peter Cook for that word!

ahwiles
    Free Member

it seems a shame that we can’t* put your ‘good’ leg in an MRI scanner, produce some 3d STL images of your bones, and make some mirrored copies in a 3D printer** – and pop these in to replace your shattered bones…

(*whenever i’ve mentioned this idea to a doctor, they’ve looked at me like i’ve got 2 heads)

(**we’ve got an Arcam and an EOS jobby here at work, we’ve made all sorts of mad things from stainless steel and titanium)

br
    Free Member

If those two options aren’t viable I shall be getting a direct implant SPD grafted on where the foot used to be.

A bit like when Barry Sheene broke his wrist, and brought his handlebars in so he knew the angle he needed the cast to be set it at…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

**we’ve got an Arcam and an EOS jobby here at work, we’ve made all sorts of mad things from stainless steel and titanium)

You may be getting a call in about 12 weeks.

I have been thinking of ways to stabalise the tib and fib and fit some kind of universal bracket so I can add external attachments – foot, skate board, food blender….

The medical professionals seem to lack the imagination to turn misfortune into opportunity. They see a missing foot, I see a bionic connection bracket.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘WCA ankle picture update – chicks dig scars?’ is closed to new replies.