Viewing 34 posts - 241 through 274 (of 274 total)
  • WC DH 2021
  • tomparkin

It would be very exciting if we could have another UK world cup DH venue instead.

+1

Where would you go? Wales somewhere?

chakaping
    Free Member

I guess there are multiple options in Wales and Scotland, but I don’t know if there’s anywhere else that could monetise it like Fort Bill… Or get access to the kind of tourism development funding that brings the world cup to other areas.

reluctantjumper

While the rain ruined the racing results it certainly upped the level of skill on show, just mental watching some of the line choices. The crash Reece Wilson had could have gone so, so wrong though for him and the spectators so they need to look at that. All-in a great one to watch.

I guess there are multiple options in Wales and Scotland, but I don’t know if there’s anywhere else that could monetise it like Fort Bill… Or get access to the kind of tourism development funding that brings the world cup to other areas.

There was talk of a Welsh venue putting a bid in around a decade ago but everywhere that could produce a good track couldn’t do the infrastructure requirements. I think the only one that came close was the Dragon track at Gethin Woods (now BPW), maybe that could be revisited?

wordnumb
    Free Member

Clearly the answer is to use sprinklers to keep the course drenched for all riders, then noone can gain an advantage no matter what the sky is doing.

Northwind

Thing is it’s not a question of “make an awesome rough and ready track and just accept that it might go to shit if it rains” vs “build an armoured bike park trail which is unchanging”, there’s tons of room between the two. There were at least 2 specific places on track where you just weren’t going to Sam Hill yourself a miracle- once it got wet every rider lost several seconds in the exact same places and that’s what breaks a race. But then most of the track didn’t go like that so for me the fact that there’s specific spots that need addressing before they use it again, suggests bad luck/unpredictable track development rather than a design/build issue. Definitely made the odds worse by having no test events though- made practice into pretty much a track-breaking-in session as much as a professional race event.

The grass bugs me though. Well, the grass plus the skinny jump, plus the position on track meaning you couldn’t afford to lose any speed in it, a bad combo. And totally foreseeable, they knew they were rolling the dice. Bad for the race but I don’t personally think it’s OK to put the riders in that position either.

Have to say I still loved the race overall. I get why some people are so bummed about it, but I love the riding, as much as the racing. Seeing the world’s best battle like that is awesome even if none of them had a chance of winning, it’s a reminder if it were needed of just how hard it is and how good they are. Camera positions were mostly smart, and the director deserves credit for making sure the crowd noise was mic’d and so high in the mix- it felt amazing to hear the crowd again.

BruceWee

Yeah, I agree mostly with what you said. Saying that, I still like to have wide taped grass tracks, even in the wet. But yeah, my bum was definitely puckering up every time they were coming into that jump.

Also, it’s worth noting that with the new qualifying rules it means you aren’t going to have someone crash in qualifying (or just stop for 20 seconds) and then win the race because they come down before the rain. I think Troy Brosnan crashed in qualifying but he still came down around the same time as the other top guys so it’s not given him an advantage in the overall.

chrismac

Tory came down before the race winner so what ever advantage the winner had due to track conditions then so did Troy. I agree it got harder as the race went on but that’s the way the dice rolled this time, other times the later starters get the better track conditions

BruceWee

Tory came down before the race winner so what ever advantage the winner had due to track conditions then so did Troy.

My point is more that you don’t get top 20 guys qualifying in 70th anymore and coming down way before anyone else. The conditions the top guys will now face will be generally similar.

Thibaut Daprela didn’t have perfect conditions, by any means. It was already looking pretty slippy and he lost around a second and a half in the bottom section compared to the previous leader. It was an incredible ride, all things considered.

grum
    Free Member

People have been saying Fort Bill is boring for 10 years. You don’t follow DH do you?

Not as close as some but I do, yeah. I’ve not heard people complain about FW much. I’ve heard some riders complain about pretty much every course including this one. 🤷‍♂️

I dunno why some people are so desperate to try and prove I’m wrong when it’s a matter of personal opinion, but hey – welcome to the internet I suppose.

kayak23

Daprela had a win coming soon whatever. Absolute beast of a rider.
    Loved his run in the last one 😳

chakaping
    Free Member

He was very impressive anyway, but I think this win will have scared a lot of the field.

If this year turns into a battle between Daprela & Troy for the overall, that’d be unexpected but very welcome.

joefm

That hill is difficult as it becomes a bog when wet as it’s mostly just earth rather than rock.

Great race though. shame conditions weren’t consistent for all.

oikeith

Where was Claudio this week? Has he been ousted by Eliot Jackson?

chakaping
    Free Member

Eliot is getting a try out at a few races this year.

Ousted is a strong word, but he had a very strong debut and I’d expect Red Bull would feel motivated to make him the permanent co-commentator if he maintains or improves that level.

Speeder

That hill is difficult as it becomes a bog when wet as it’s mostly just earth rather than rock.

Weren’t Wet Screams designed specifically for Les Gets?

dannyh
    Free Member

Jackson is doing a great job in the commentary box. Him and Warner make a great combo and it already feels familiar. Jackson’s course analysis is on point too.

I hope I’m in the process of being proved wrong by Tracey Hannah too. She seems to know the womens’ field pretty well (as you would expect).

dannyh
    Free Member

Weren’t Wet Screams designed specifically for Les Gets?

Ooohh, please let it be true. I love a sporting stat/titbit/fact….

mashr

Ooohh, please let it be true. I love a sporting stat/titbit/fact….

Good news for you then – they were designed for Les Gets

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=maxxis+wet+scream+les+gets&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

dannyh
    Free Member

Good news for you then – they were designed for Les Gets

I’ll be dropping that into a MTB-related conversation and passing it off as my own – at the first available opportunity!

😉

Northwind

dannyh

Jackson is doing a great job in the commentary box. Him and Warner make a great combo and it already feels familiar. Jackson’s course analysis is on point too.’s course analysis is on point too.

I actually rated his pre-race course commentary higher than Cathros for this one, not sure who’s got the better understanding but Jackson communicated it a bit better imo and also more enthusiastically/positively.

He felt over-prepared for the race almost, he had a little anecdote or fact about literally everything, “I was talking to…” “this is one of those tracks that…” and it ended up feeling a bit scripted and automatic, with less focus on what was actually happening right now on the mad hill. Nothing wrong with being knowledgable but for me it sucked out a bit of the feel of the race,I know he loves the sport so I want to hear that really. But still, not a bad start.

cleetonator

Day 1 in Maribor tomorrow. I’m excited for another weekend of the World Cup. Hopefully the weather is consistent through this one.

chakaping
    Free Member

Trimix
    Free Member

Actually, I like the weather making things unpredictable. Either way, looking forward to it. It quite difficult to predict a winner this season.

scruff
    Free Member

Is Reece commentating? Hes even better at that than riding his bike 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

Not if he is riding !

fingerbang
    Free Member

Once again, can’t recommend enough the Downtime podcast – Maribor pre-race show with Chris Kilmurray. Insane bike nerd levels of detail, such as difference between pro level and amateur braking bumps etc.

I’ve got over the irritating use of first names in this podcast (Loris this, Loic that) as, at the end of the day, the only people listening are gravity bike nerds like us who know who everyone is

The Pinkbike primer is also worth looking at for the the Dirt/Parkin bros round up from the 2010 season, the last WC there before the big layoff IIRC. I enjoyed that hit of nostalgia

ossify

I like Claudio but am enjoying having actual (well, recent!) racers doing some commentary.
    They seem to have more detailed knowledge of the riders and what’s going on, also much more intimate knowledge of the track and they can point out tiny details about certain features or bike handling skills that Rob/Claudio don’t.

gravity bike nerds like us who know who everyone is

This sometimes bugs me about Wyn TV, love watching that but half the time I don’t know who’s who except the famous faces. I only normally see everyone with FF helmets on!
    Wish he would put the names up on screen.

sharkattack

Look at the tiny ickle bikes!

I’d still ride Sam Hill’s Sunday. It looks mint.

wordnumb
    Free Member

This sometimes bugs me about Wyn TV, love watching that but half the time I don’t know who’s who except the famous faces… Wish he would put the names up on screen.

Minimal graphics probably to get the vid live asap. I think the privateer bung he organises is supremely cool.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I enjoyed that Earthed 5 vid (above) – not seen that in ages. Sam Hill’s imperial period. I love that gully that Minnar bombs down at 2:26 and then Bryceland does a sensational save at 3:20ish

Maribor’s always been the WC track Id most love to ride.

fingerbang
    Free Member

some nice racing yesterday, and a big deal having some DH action on a wednesday school night, although due to time constraints I had to pick out the runs I wanted to watch – which, to be fair, RedbullTV allows you to do pretty easily.

the duprela crash looks like a wheel malfunction? it adds to the weekends racing anyway and I want Vergier to win the overall as he’s been the top guy for the last couple of years.

Having said that, Bruni’s run looked like the winner. the head was perfectly still again and he looked so smooth I couldn’t see how anyone else could wring any more speed out of the track.

so it was amazing to see Reece pin it – I couldn’t believe it

Its worth picking out Kerr’s and Iles’ runs when they northshored the backside of a root just before the flat pedally bit. EJ did well to spot it and was pretty incredulous. It was nuts but then again Reece took the otherside of the tree I think, which was identified by Cathro as the slower option for the tired rider.

BruceWee

I enjoyed it (it’s DH racing, afterall) but I have to say the track was probably one for the purists. Low gradient rock gardens just don’t do it for me, I’m afraid.

nickc

Loris must be cheesed off, moves to Trek, and now has to deal with Reece who’s finally won a round after smashing the Champs…Good day for Trek overall though, 1st and 2nd elite men, 1st women’s elite…

fingerbang
    Free Member

The section with the fresh berms into the jump between the trees and then two step downs into a berm looks like amazing fun to ride, in all the helmet cams I’ve seen the riders have been buzzing their tits off at that point

But yeah the flattish rock gardens look horrible. I’d be pedalling thru them to generate speed but seeing WC riders wring speed out of those sections is crazy

Viewing 34 posts - 241 through 274 (of 274 total)

The topic ‘WC DH 2021’ is closed to new replies.