Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Way Way! OT! Recommend me a cheap home weather station
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

Well? Go on! Go on! GO ON!

bruneep

Seaweed

Psychic Seaweed?

Seaweed can, it is said, be used to predict the weather as it can absorb ambient moisture. Therefore, if dry seaweed hanging up goes limp, it means there’s damp in the air. It is interesting to note that the people who say this are often somewhat vague when pressed for further scientific details. Apparently if seaweed is dried then left outside, and you later discover it has become wet, then there’s probably been some rain7. One h2g2 Researcher reports:

My experience of seaweed as a weather predictor came from my grandfather who was a treasure house of esoteric trivia. The required seaweed is ‘Bladder wrack’. This is the seaweed that generally litters British beaches and has lovely little blister-like bits. I know this isn’t particularly eloquent but you get the general picture. Anyway, here’s how you beat your local weatherman. Hang said seaweed on a nail outside. If, after a period of hanging there mindlessly, you are able to pop one of the ‘blisters’ then the weather should be dry. If, on the other hand, you cannot make it pop – it is probably going to rain.

FACT:

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have one of these not a weather station but I am always checking the temp now.
    not amazon….

I got it from Amazon for £20 but they have sold out….

IanMunro
    Free Member

miketually
    Free Member

We have these devices fitted to our house that allow us to see what the weather is doing. If you look carefully, you might find you have them fitted already.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Mike ❓

brant
    Free Member

Mike – are they the things that let you “see through walls”?

tankslapper
    Free Member

Curtains? We can’t afford windows…

miketually
    Free Member

Yes, Brant. Ours are very clever as they allow light into the house while also allowing us to look outside!

My dad has one of the electronic gizmos that tell him how cold it is outside. Almost every time we visit, he’ll inform me of the outside temperature. “I know Dad, I was just outside.”

tankslapper
    Free Member

LOL! Does this mean I’ve reached that stage in my life?!

Ah well – it’s -3degrees at Lake Vrnwy so that’s close enough for me!

miketually
    Free Member

Does this mean I’ve reached that stage in my life?!

Do you touch radiators in other peoples’ houses? 🙂

tankslapper
    Free Member

Yes! And I’ve started making ‘interesting’ dad like comments about car registration numbers, and an unhealthy interest in fireplaces!

miketually
    Free Member

Special stick just for stirring paint?

tankslapper
    Free Member

You too? God I love that stick! PMSL!

I even get grumpy when someone sits on MY chair! **** me! I’m becoming more like Father Jack Taggart very day!

Drink! ****! Arse!

CountZero

PMSL at these answers. For a real techy answer I just use the Fizzweather App on my iPhone, which let’s me know what the conditions are like anywhere in the world, ‘cos I can see what the weather is like outside. The weather stone is the best one, tho’, I’m going to set one up like that myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Way Way! OT! Recommend me a cheap home weather station’ is closed to new replies.