Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Way OT – Sorry – Recommend me a credit card for use outside the UK
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

As above really, I need to get a credit card (been happy without one for a few years) for use outside of the UK as I’m starting to travel a lot again. Currently I just use a debit card, which is a) not smart and b) expensive.

Any recommendations folks?

Thanks.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

We use a post office credit card. It’s Mastercard, so depends if you prefer Visa or not.
    Never had a problem using it in Europe though.

Moses

I *Think* the post office card doesn’t charge for overseas transactions, check it out anyway

jam-bo

get two. a mastercard and visa, possibly an amex as well. and some dollars stashed away as well…

that way when you are marooned in the back end of nowhere, you’ll have options…

MoreCashThanDash

Most of mine seem to have worked fine when abroad. Usually while I have been at home in the UK.

Capital One are at least pretty prompt about calling me when it happens!

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Have a read here: MoneySavingExpert

brassneck

If you need cash whilst away, consider a Nationwide account, the debit is transaction free overseas. I just change a bit before I go to cover trains etc. and use the CC for most other things.

Otherwise anything with a VISA or MASTERCARD sign on it is just fine for 99% of the world. I always used to use my Tesco card (got several days out on the points) but have to use a corporate card now.
    Never found any has a definite advantage over what you can get out of the card if you can use your own and claim back.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Amex linked to BA is a good choice if you’re flying BA regularly. Rack up those airmiles on your Amex card and use them for holidays/upgrades.

Visa/Mastercard have a far wider acceptance, though, which is the only real downside of the above. As such, I tend to have both my BA Amex and a Barclaycard with me for most travels.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

brassneck,
    Which Nationwide account is that? We have a FlexAccount, but stopped using it abroad when they started charging for withdrawals and purchases.

nbt

likewise, I stopped using my nationwide flex when they started charging transaction fees. I just got a halifax clarity mastercard for use abroad.

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

I was sure I read a thread on here a while back about one of the cc providers not charging for overseas transactions, and it’s that really appeals.

Will never ever ever fly BA if I can avoid it, so won’t take that option Flashy 😉

Sounds like it’s worth a gander at the Post Office for cheap fees. Particularly as I don’t care about points and rewards, because they are – for me a) evil and b) a false economy.

brassneck

Ah, it was the Flex Plus account (current account) – have they binned that then? It probably only makes sense if you travel a lot and have some use for the other benefits. I think most of the ‘extra’ accounts were much of a muchness, but this was the only one that offered the transaction free cash (at the time).
    I’ve not had to use a cash point for some time though so it might not be valid.

Sui
    Free Member

Capitol One Aspire Elite – free concierge service* which is awesomes as it actually works, especially when in a pickle in some shizhole part of the world. Also 2% cash back on everything, so I use it to pay for.. everything (bar mortgage)..

*although £120 year sub for the card.. My expenses paid that back in the first 2 months.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Halifax Clarity credit card is my top choice as the cost per transaction is the lowest I could find. I don’t get charged a transaction fee and the exchange rate they use is good.

Sandwich

FairFX card if you only need the ability to access money safely abroad. It’s a pre-pay jobbie so will not expose you to temptation to overspend if that’s of ay concern to you.

bearnecessities

Halifax Clarity credit card is my top choice

Weirdly, I was listening to Moneybox the other day (I think it was that) and that’s what was quoted as the badgers nadgers for outside of UK.

russ295
    Free Member

I have a Halifax card that gives free cash withdrawals and transactions abroad.
    Always seem to get good rates when I get home and check.

PJ266
    Free Member

Im with Norwich and Peterborough, no fees at all when withdrawing money abroad. I was away for a year recently and must have saved about £400 in fees compared to my (arguably silly) mate with a barclays account.

ComradeD
    Free Member

Halifax Clarity card is the best. No fee’s or charges for using the card abroad but you do pay interest on your cash withdrawals until there paid off

milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve got a Nationwide C/C that you have to spend money on to gain a balance that you can spend abroad without fees. I just use it for online purchases and fuel, paying the balance off as I go along. Currently can use it for £280 of foreign purchases without fees. That should cover fuel and a lift pass in July 😀

walla24
    Free Member

We have the Halifax Clarity card… it’s excellent. No fees, good exchange rate.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Way OT – Sorry – Recommend me a credit card for use outside the UK’ is closed to new replies.