Way OT – Good car tyres.

Home Forum Chat Forum Way OT – Good car tyres.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Way OT – Good car tyres.
  • Hairychested

I need to get a set for the front of my Puke’got 406 Estate. 195/65R15 is the size. Want them cheap (reasonably), quiet, good in wet. Any suggestions?

clunker

Toyo’s or Khumo.

Zedsdead

Not Toyo or Khomo – rubbish in anything but dry weather.

Go to your local fitter and ask him for a deal on something decent. I founf Conti’s okay, Michelins not bad, Pirelli good but soft so don’t last long, Firestones pretty good, Vredestein used to be great not sure now though…

Hairychested

Goodyear? I really like the logo 😉

Zedsdead

Found Goodyear to be well sketchy – avoid.

emac65

After shredding two Bridgestones at 180 quid a pop,one of which was only a month old.I plumped for Kwik-Fit’s own brand at £85 each & can’t tell any difference tbh….

Premier Icon 2unfit2ride
    Subscriber

Look for a V patten in the tread if you want wet weather performance over everything else, lots of goodridge F1 copy’s out there since they ditched the design.

Personally I find conti’s the best overall compromise, but they aren’t cheap.

snaps

I’ve been running Toyo Proxes on 2 cars for years & the work great in the wet or dry.

rich-6

Uniroyal rainsports??

emac65

Bit’s of metal & nails on the motorway don’t care what brand they are & how much they cost when they punch hossin great holes in them so the funkin’ things can’t be repaired…

<I’m still a bit miffed about it>

hora

Pay a bit extra. Otherwise ditchfinder and ditchwitch will mean something!

Hairychested

Well, yes. The car was bought for under a grand so it’s hard to justify spending £90 per tyre IMO.

spooky_b329

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/

I went for Falken FK452’s last time which are meant to be pretty good. Lets ignore the fact that the garage decided that ZE912’s would be better and fitted them instead, but in hindsight they arn’t directional which gives you a few options for rotating the wheels.

Strangelove

Believe it or not there is a review site tyrereviews.co.uk

clunker

Zedsdead – Member
    Not Toyo or Khomo – rubbish in anything but dry weather.

Must be your driving mate, I have raced for 10 years in all conditions with both these brands and they are fine!, he said cheap btw.

Gary_M

I’m happy with either Michelin Pilot Sport or Michelin Pilot Primacy, seem to last forever and got rid of the tram lining problem on the accord.

Zedsdead

“have raced for 10 years in all conditions with both these brands and they are fine”

You never won though did you. Now you know why. 😉

hora

In that case Khumo if the car was less than 1k. I had them on a Volvo S40. The rear nearside was punctured (felt slightly odd) but it held up round two very large and fast roundabouts before I realised it was actually punctured. Felt an ok allrounder as well.

clunker

Zedsdead – Member
    You never won though did you. Now you know why.

😆

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

me too. looking at Farmer Autocare who seem reasonable.

Pirelli 195/65T 15 P6000 POWERGY anygood, anyone??

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

Go to http://www.blackcircles.com/ for a quote for whatever you buy, I can refer you if you wish and you’ll get an extra discount.

B

Hairychested

Thanks bruneep, but they don’t seem to have what I need (or a pint of G&T works).

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

I see plenty of choice. 😕

samuri

I’ve found pirelli’s to be a bit crap in the wet. Michelins for me. Seem awesomely grippy in just about anything, as long as you get a decent pair.

carreraboy

2unfit2ride – Member
    Look for a V patten in the tread if you want wet weather performance over everything else, lots of goodridge F1 copy’s out there since they ditched the design.

Personally I find conti’s the best overall compromise, but they aren’t cheap

wrong…..lol. the best allround wet weather pattern is an assymetric pattern as the water gets pushed out from the wheel stopping it fromn aqua planeing. and yes i would agree on the conti premium 2’s in that size as it has the pattewrn i mentioned earlier.
    (can you tell i used to work for a tyre wholesaler??)

carreraboy

sorry for the spelling………..

After some research and asking on here i was recommended Vredestein’s. Im currently using the Sportrac 3 and im finding them very good way better than eagle F1’s.

Will definitely be replacing with more of the same or possibly ultrac’s.

Jimbo

Without wanting to sound rude, it’s a <£1K 406 estate, so I’m guessing it’s more “slow lap of the one way system” than “sub 9 minute lap of the Nurburgring” Why not just nip along to the local backstreet tyre place, state your size, ask the prices and go for whatever’s cheapest that isn’t a blatent HandWánk Ditchfinder remould?

carreraboy

if you dont want to spend too much but dont want a shite tyre then there is always a falken ziex 912 or the marshal kh35. both are assymetric and believe it or not the marshal beat michelin in the auto express tyre test last year for wet road handling………..

Premier Icon NZCol
    Subscriber

I replaced all 4 of my shocking pirellis on my WRX with Falkens and they have been superb – grippy in wet and dry and lasting well despite my enthusiastic attempts to remove all the tread 😉

-m-

Why not just nip along to the local backstreet tyre place, state your size, ask the prices and go for whatever’s cheapest that isn’t a blatent HandWánk Ditchfinder remould

Because regardless of the price of the car it’s your body/friends/family when you have to stop quickly on the motorway from 70? If you look at some of the comparative tyre tests the wet stopping distances for cheap tyres can easily exceed the length of a car. That’s the difference between stopping in time and burying your car in the back of the one in front.

There are places to save money on a car by buying cheaper parts; tyres aren’t one of them.

My Tyres are also worth looking at to save money on branded tyres.

Hairychested

As it’s a diesel, a 1.9 td with only 90 horses under the bonnet, 150+mph isn’t an option. There seems to be a local Falkens dealer so I’ll pay a visit.

Jimbo – Member
    Without wanting to sound rude, it’s a <£1K 406 estate, so I’m guessing it’s more “slow lap of the one way system” than “sub 9 minute lap of the Nurburgring”

lol! How true! The “car” floats along the road rather than drives, the steering wheel seems attached to the wheels with some chewy instead of metal, it’s more of a boat than a car handling-wise. Nurburgring? More like IKEA-ring 🙂

retro83

I’ve just had spent a bit more than usual to have Continental Eco 3 tyres fitted.

I had cheapy rock hard Goodyear ones on it before and the car would understeer savagely in wet or greasy conditions. Unbelievably better with the Contis, like a different car to drive.

I got mine based on the recommendations of Which magazine.

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

i dont think you need to spend a great deal on tyres – my sister had some Uniroyal something or others on her honda civic recently @50 quid a tyre. they seem pretty good wet or dry

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

my dad’s leggy has birdgestone potenza’s on i think. they seem nice 🙂 but then it is 4 wheel drive! they were about 90quid a corner i think.

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

the michelin energy ones my sister had on before were ok in the dry, but damp pant inducing in the wet…

Hairychested

£90 a pop? It’s almost 50% of my car value, hecking fell!

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

aye, i was giving them as an example of a ‘luxury’ tyre! dont think you need to spend more than 50quid a corner – your 405 will have a fairly common tyre size i’m sure. i’m running 15 quid part worns on the front of my 205, and they’re ok.

Marge

Vredestein Sportrac 3.
    Best budget choice in this size.

If you don’t believe me & speak German try

ADAC Tyre Tests

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Way OT – Good car tyres.’ is closed to new replies.