Way of the roses C2C. Advice.

Home Forum Bike Forum Way of the roses C2C. Advice.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Way of the roses C2C. Advice.
  • Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

Left Morcambe 11am ish. Camped Cracoe. Then over to Pocklington the next day. Then rolled into Scarborough on last morning. Finished about two ish.

That’s with full camping kit and 15yr old son.

Get to Pately Bridge on first night with an early start and a credit card and you’d be golden I reckon.

There’s some stupid bits from Pocklington to Scarborough. Right big loops out of the way to avoid traffic. But hey. It’s the route.

Fun trip.

Premier Icon PMK2060
    Subscriber

I am doing it over 2 days in July. Stopping in a b&b at boroughbridge (approx. halfway) rather than camping to avoid carrying too much.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

Cheers Brant, I was looking at Pateley Bridge as a suitable stopover. People I’ve spoken with who have done it in 3 have said it would be achievable in 2 but not necessarily enjoyable. I

PMK when you doing it? I’d be interested to hear how you get on 🙂

Dales_rider

Avoid the cycle path out of Morecambe, in fact avoid the route thee are nicer routes C2C.
    I do Morecambe to Skipton in about 4 hours via Settle and Hetton avoiding the big hill out of Settle on the Way of the Roses.
    Skipton to the Helmsley Via Easingwold took 4.5 hours The coast is 30 sh miles further on.
    Hope tat helps some.

Gribs

A mate did it recently in 3 days and it looked fairly straight forward. I’m considering doing it in two with a short first day so I can stay at home near Skipton but more sensibly you’d probably be better with a hard first day and stop at Ripon and then have a fairly flat/easy day to Bridlington.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

Dales rider. Got any gpx or route details you could share by email? (On profile) cheers

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

I really liked the cycle path out of Morcambe. Up the Lune Valley. Lovely.

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

One of our designers, Jonny, did it in two days on a fixie. He got to Ripon on first day.

Boroughbridge is certainly more than half way in terms of climbing and general exertion.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

Me and a few lads at work are considering doing a C2C at the end of July. Ideally we’re looking to do it in 2 days and will be doing it on road bikes. We will have the luxury of a support vehicle/luggage carrier and plan to camp at a suitable “half way” point.

Having read a bit about the way of the roses route, most seem to do it over 3 days -apart from a few nutters (Terrahawk) who do it in one.

Anyone done it in two days who can give any tips??

Ta

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

I did it three weeks ago in 3 days with luggage, wasn’t pushed for time at all and I stopped quite a bit to do touristy stuff. Once you’ve done the pull up out of Pateley Bridge to Brimham rocks you’ve done with the dales and it’s a steady ride down through Fountains to Ripon. I’d look for a spot anywhere from Brimham to Boroughbridge to camp. Even if you stopped in Pateley it wouldn’t be bad except for the climb out on cold legs in the morning, there are no real hills after that except for the lift up onto the Wolds after Pocklington, which is easy enough compared to the Dales.

I enjoyed the path around Morecambe, just a regular ex railway path, and once through Lancaster you’re following the Lune and very nice indeed.

It’s really well signposted, you basically don’t even need a map while riding. I missed out maybe three times on the whole route, around Sainsbury’s and a subway in Lancaster, in Clapham where I was following a cute blonde on a shiny Trek and not watching for signs, and in Pocklington where the signs seem to make a complete loop of the (small) one way system.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

Excellent. Cheers all – I’m a little more encouraged now that 2 days is doable.

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Just done the Walney to Whitby route (175 miles) in two days a fortnight ago.
    We travelled light & stayed in a pub/b+b for convenience though. 105 miles the first day & 70 the second.
    Plan for bad weather, our first day was a constant headwind and then persistent rain at the 65 mile mark, our route took in a lot of climbing as well so being up on Tan Hill in the rain & thick fog wasn’t pleasant.
    First day was 9’400ft of ascent, second was a relatively easy 4’400ft – but there are some nasty and exceptionally steep climbs across the North York Moors.

hora

Any pics? Seems like a good idea for late summer.

fatboyslo

Best tip I can offer would be :-

Check your brakes are working before you set off down Greenhow Hill …

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

Lass at work did it at the weekend – Bridlington to Morecambe in a day and then pedalled home to near Preston…

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Hora – was that question for me?

hora

In general – I’d like to see pics of said C2C 🙂

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Ah, no pics from mine I’m afraid, weather was horrible first day & second we just got our heads down and pedalled.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

Hora, wittonweavers off here has done it over 3 days. blog with pics here

fizzer

Did it in a day about a month ago. Really enjoyed it too – well signed on quiet roads with reasonable surfaces. Report here:

http://wayoftheroses.info/news/story/all_in_a_day

boblo

That Greenhow Hill has claimed a couple of cyclists in the past few years so be careful.

We did the WOTR last year over 3 days on a tandem. By the time we got to Greenhow, our front pads were down to metal. We descended Greenhow on the rear Vee and the drag brake. The latter was smoking at the bottom 🙂

2 full days should be reasonable.

Premier Icon PMK2060
    Subscriber

Bregante – I did the way of the roses route over 2 days last week and would recommend it. The route is fantastic with great scenery. The first day to Boroughbridge was a killer especially the climb out of Settle. The second day was mostly flat thankfully.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

Just a little update. Did the WOTR between Friday and Sunday just gone and loved every minute of it (even the torrential rain and head winds on the first day). The group from work that I did it with were a very mixed bunch to say the least but everyone completed it with relatively little drama.

We camped the first night just outside Cracoe and slept at Millington Village Hall about 18 miles east of York on Saturday (highly recommended http://www.millingtonvillagehall.org.uk )

To anyone thinking of doing this route – get it done, it’s great.

Already thinking of doing it again with other cycling friends next year over 2 days with an overnight stop in Pateley Bridge.

antigee

2 days west to east to pick up mrs antigees car after her and the chattering giggling pack did east to west

overnight in Ripon at the Wetherspoons owned Unicorn – nice room, slow on breakfast so finished in dark but was in October

there are some big hills but also a lot of flatish sections in between Judging by the number of people that pass me and the average speed claims on here am actually the slowest cyclist in the world

I think its a great route and would do again

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Way of the roses C2C. Advice.’ is closed to new replies.