Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • “way more pedestrians are killed and maimed by cyclists than cab drivers”
  • cynic-al
    Free Member
    1. …is what someone has stated in a FB post (I think he’s a taxi driver, he’s an old friend of my BiL who is a cyclist).

My response after a small amount of googling:

Last I read, a whole 0-2 pedestrians were killed by cyclists per year in the UK. It really is difficult to imagine that 300,000 taxi drivers kill fewer (that’s 0.6% of driving licence holders, who kill 65% of the 470 pedestrians killed on UK roads each year) pro rata about 2, vs 1.

Can anyone do better?

He also thinks bikes should have 10mph speed limits due to the difficulty of braking controllably from higher speeds.

God give me strength.

jameso

Direct deaths.. but I expect the pollution black cabs kick out as a significant part of the traffic in cities like London kills many more, less directly and in a way that’s more easily ignored than a man-bites-dog headlines when a bike rider does hit a pedestrian. Standard “no look, over here, over here!” minority stuff distraction from the filthy state city air is in due to cars, cabs, etc that the majority are responsible for.

matt_outandabout

You can’t argue with stupid.

Walk away.

thestabiliser
Free Member

Does pedestrians include prostitutes?

cynic-al
Free Member

Thestabiser wins the internet

simondbarnes

Just step away from facebook (preferably delete it) leave them too it and get on with your life.

BruceWee

The reason it seems like that is that every time someone on a bike kills a pedestrian it makes national news. Taxi drivers killing pedestrians only makes the local news. Try googling and you’ll find plenty recent stories but only from the likes of The Hull Daily Mail and The Coventry Telegraph.

dissonance

Does pedestrians include prostitutes?

Googling for taxi killing the front page did have several taxi drivers murdering people alongside killing various pedestrians/passengers and people in other cars.

5lab

If you take the question as

‘people who occasionally ride a bike kill more than people who occasionally drive a taxi’ – that statement is probably true, as the body of ‘cyclists’ in the UK is far higher than that of drivers.

If you just include ‘whilst driving/cycling’ its probably lower, or broadly similar.

deadkenny
Free Member

I read that as way more pedestrians than cab drivers are killed and maimed, by cyclists 😄

kcr
Free Member

Not taxi specific, but the CTC have a good summary of the stats showing it’s not cyclists that are the threat to pedestrians:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/views-and-briefings/pedestrians

kcr
Free Member

If you just include ‘whilst driving/cycling’ its probably lower, or broadly similar.

Have a read of the CTC summary. There’s no “broad similarity”. The pedestrian death and injury caused by cyclists is completely dwarfed by the damage caused by drivers (as common sense would suggest).

jimdubleyou

What the dickens is going on with the formatting on this page?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘“way more pedestrians are killed and maimed by cyclists than cab drivers”’ is closed to new replies.

Overview Chat Bike Members News Women