Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wattbike question for the experts
  • walowiz

so I’ve finally taken the plunge and started using the wattbike at the gym.

All good so far, iPhone using the Wattbike app and using their workouts seems to be doing the job and the workouts are going straight to Strava.

I use a Garmin Fenix 3, which I’ve managed to connect to the Wattbike using Ant+, but I don’t use the Garmin to record the session, as the Wattbike app does a really good job of that.

There is a question here, is it possible to use the Fenix 3 for heart rate monitoring when using the Wattbike, or do I have to use a dedicated heart strap ?

I’ve googled it, but can’t see any obvious answer to this. Hopefully someone here knows.

trail_rat
    Free Member

any ant + strap will broadcast to the watt bike – or certainly does with the one in our works gym

the optical HR on the fenix wont … but thats a good thing as its horrifically inaccurate at any kind of intervals.

walowiz

any ant + strap will broadcast to the watt bike – or certainly does with the one in our works gym

the optical HR on the fenix wont … but thats a good thing as its horrifically inaccurate at any kind of intervals.

That would explain why it connects, but I don’t see any HR data from the Fenix 3 then.

Thanks, I didn’t want to buy more tech as it’ll only be used at the work gym – but still cheaper than buying a Wattbike for home.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh youd benifit from an ANT strap for the fenix for your almost any of your work outs – other than if your just pootling.

its really good at tracking changes over time – ie RHR and such like

But when your doing intervals the lag between it seeing your HR climbing/dropping and it reporting it makes it next to useless.

walowiz

thanks, I’ll take a look at Ant HR straps now.

I do take a look at the HR data from the fenix in Strava – esp for the longer mtb rides, never questioned whether it’s accurate or good, figured it’s just an indication of my HR. Thought it was generally ok for HR data ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s reasonably ok for longer rides where theres no quick changes or up and downs.

If your trying to hit zones or stay within set parameters then it’s pretty hopeless.

TiRed

If you have power (i.e., Watt Bike), forget HR.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wattbike question for the experts’ is closed to new replies.