Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Waterprrof shorts durability
  • Wrongun
    Free Member

Hello,

Last year I bought a pair of Altura Drylines. Hoever, I found that within about 5 rides, my arse had actually worn through the seat of the shorts, making them useless. Has that happended to anyone else, or is it my particuar riding style and saddle? I really like the concept of waterproof shorts, but dont want to invest any more of my hard earned for the same thing to happen again.

I do have some based on cut down halford non-breathable trousers, and they are lasting well.

Any thoughts?

nbt

I haven;t got any but a few people on the weekend's ride were talking about the same issue occuring – I think Trio25 was one?

njee20
    Free Member

I've got some Gore Alp-X ones and they're coming up to their 3rd winter, they're looking very very worn, but no actual holes yet, guess it's just not the most durable place to use a thin material.

Still, after 5 rides I'd be taking them back.

tinsy
    Free Member

wrongun, seen lots on here about gore tex army trousers being cut down as waterproof overshorts… at £8 a pop it might be your answer.

That and a mudgaurd…

doof_doof
    Free Member

After a wet ride last week I discovered that the seat of my Attack 3/4's is falling apart (the layers delaminating on the inside). About 12 months old, used 2-3 times a week, mostly on road commuting. Sending them back to Zyro to see what they say.

z1ppy

About 12 months old, used 2-3 times a week

Good god, I'd be over the moon if they last that long with that much use…

doof_doof
    Free Member

They have a 2yr warranty, so they've fallen well short, excuse the pun.

If everything cost 50p per wear then I'd find another sport I think!

If my Sidi's can last 8yrs, and my gloves 3 years, I don't think it's too much to ask a pair of shorts to last beyond 12 months.

grievoustim
    Free Member

what gloves do you use that last 3 years?

I'm lucky to get a few months before stiching goes

z1ppy

do they? wasn't aware of that D_D, good call.

Surfr
    Free Member

My drylines have gone along the seam on the arse after a few months. Not massively but there are plenty of white bits showing where the external coat has peeled/ground off. They've only done a handfull of off road rides in admittedly gritty conditions but the rest of the time they are reserved for wet commutes. They were dirt cheap on eBay though

doof_doof
    Free Member

The gloves are Fox Inclines. Right hand index and thumb have holes appearing now though. Bl00dy incredible for cheap gloves. Maybe I just got lucky, but my replacement pair seem pretty sturdy too.

I had a pair of Fox Unabombers for the Alps, they fell apart within days.

Wrongun
    Free Member

Yeah, I got my drylines well cheap off ebay too – hence not bothering to send them back. Mine actually have holes you can stick your fingers though – perhaps they were fake?

Hmmm – think I will look at the army trousers, and keep them full length to stop water going down the top of my sealskinz

frank4short
    Free Member

I've a pair of Altura 3/4 length waterproof attack shorts. Only got em about 2 months ago but i've had them out about 10-12 times so far. There is as far i'm aware no problem with them.

Have you been washing yours after every ride? & if so have you been following the washing instructions correctly? This will make a significant difference to their lifespan.

trio25
    Free Member

I've had this problem with Gore shorts, after about 10months, but I only wear them maybe one ride a week at most. Most rides I don't bother. I got them replaced under warrenty no problems though.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I've had endura weatherpant waterproof trousers and altura dryline trousers. Both failed on the seams under the arse within one season of riding(2 to 3 times a week in gritty muddy conditions).

Nw using army surplus goretex jobbies. They are far tougher than the endura or altura models, with no sign of wear after a full season use,, but the cut is nowhere near as good for riding in. There are two types of the army ones on eBay. One has an elasticated waist and the other have a Velcro closure with a draw cord to tie. The elastic ones creep down while you are riding, the tie cord Ones stay up better.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Have you been washing yours after every ride? & if so have you been following the washing instructions correctly? This will make a significant difference to their lifespan

Mine were 95% used on-road for commuting, so rarely got 'dirty'. I'd give them a basic rince once a week and a proper wash if I used them on the mtb.

Still, fantastic shorts and I'd still highly recommend them. So good that I wore then when there was no chance of rain. Hopefully they'll update the design so they're more robust though.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

My Dryline shorts must be at least two years old. The taped seams are starting to peel but the fabric itself is still fine appart from a small rip when I crashed.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

3rd Winter here to using Gore Alp X starting to show signs of wear now…but should make it through ok as unlike the past two winters I'm not using them to commute every day only wear these ones for XC night rides once/twice a week…as I use different kit for DH at the weekends.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Ive a pair of the dryline trousers. Coming in their second winter of 5 times a week commuting plus muddy riding. Keep my arse dry so quite impressed…so much so im going to get myself another pair.

doof_doof
    Free Member

After a wet ride last week I discovered that the seat of my Attack 3/4's is falling apart (the layers delaminating on the inside). About 12 months old, used 2-3 times a week, mostly on road commuting. Sending them back to Zyro to see what they say.

Just an update, I received the replacement shorts from Zyro today. They said that they were faulty. Can't argue with that level of customer service.

3 wet commutes with non-waterproof shorts made me remember just how good these things are.

stoney
    Free Member

MY Enduras have started to come adrift at the seam where the pad meets the rear panel. 11 months old and not really used since May til now, and was only 1-2 rides a week, only if wet.
    They are in the process of being returned. Replacements are now £110 😯

AlasdairMc

I had a pair of Drylines wear through at the arse as well, but Merlin replaced them with Attacks. They've been alright but are delaminating a bit as well. I think they should be seen as a consumable item like gloves as opposed to something like a jacket that will just last and last.

Alex

Sent my first set of alp-x back after they delaminated six months after I bought them. Second set starting to go 18 months later but they've had a hard life. Bought some Endura ones (can't remember the name, but the cheap 40 quid ones) and they've been brilliant. Good cut, go over the knees, apparently impervious to water. And I've definitely given them a good test this last month,

Northwind

I'm considering a pair of Attack 3/4s, but I'm wondering about washing… Am I right in saying that the instructions are non-bio powder, no conditioner?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Waterprrof shorts durability’ is closed to new replies.