Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Waterproof walking trousers for the long of leg…
  • Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

I’m in the market for some new waterproof walking trousers and wondering if anyone has any recommendations or advice on the options I’ve found thus far.

I’m 6’4″, 32″ waist and 35″ inside leg so need something with as long legs as possible without having to go into bigger waist sizes.

I know that with boots and gaiters I can get away with slightly shorter legs than would otherwise be ideal, but ideally I’d like a pair that aren’t at half mast when I’m just wearing trail shoes and no gaiters. My previous pair were some North Face ones that were a long leg model but were an inch or two shorter than ideal.

I want something light and packable enough to carry in a rucksack on showery days but also comfortable and waterproof enough for wearing all day when it’s really nasty.

Ones I’ve looked at, in no particular order:

Haglofs LIM – possibly the front runner. Goretex fabric. Nice and light. Available in long length. Have had other Haglofs non-waterproof trousers which have been pretty generous in length. Not cheap.

Berghaus Paclite – long length available, but only 33″. Price is decent for Goretex. Quite a few negative reviews commenting on the flimsy side zips.

Rab Kangri – long length 34″. Bit pricy and possibly a little heavyweight for an overtrouser that might be carried in a rucksack 90% of the time.

Mountain Equipment Saltoro – probably too short. Long length is only 33″ – other ME trousers I’ve tried have been proper half masts on me even in so called long length.

Keela Alpine Advanced – look like more of an all day rainpant, too heavy really to lug about.

Revolution Race Cyclone – brand seems well regarded on here. Only one leg length but people say they fit long. Possibly more of a trouser for all day use rather than an overtrouser. I’m slightly dubious as to how waterproof they’d be in sustained rain.

Marmot Precip Eco full zip – these might do the job nicely – my wife has the women’s version. Long length available. Struggling to find them in the right size though – not sure if they’ve been discontinued.

Any I’ve missed or any feedback on the ones I’ve mentioned?

Premier Icon yetidave
    Free Member

I fit your size exactly and use a Endura Luminite Waterproof Cycling Trousers in XL, and would use them walking as well.

Premier Icon scruff9252
    Free Member

I’m the same height as you, although sadly no-longer so thin. Best fitted ones I’ve came across are ex-mod goretex from ebay – I went for the ones with the zip at ankle, not the elastic. Nice and long and pretty bombproof. Downside is they are green camo so look a bit of pillock in them.

Premier Icon dufresneorama
    Free Member

The precip full zip are fine. Easy on and off and the full zip makes it easy to cool down quickly.

I’ve got older ones, before the eco came out and they’re pretty long anyway. Didn’t realise they now do a long version. They’d be better for more scambly hikes

Premier Icon dc1988
    Free Member

I’m 6’5″ 33″ waist and similar leg as you. I have Rohan dry requisite trousers which are long enough but quite a wide fit.

Worth checking out Regatta as well for a cheaper option, I just bought some 33L trousers that have a nice slim fit and are easily long enough (I think they claim 34″ leg but feel longer). They do some waterproof trousers in your size

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Berghaus long leg – I’m sure mine are longer than 33″ – but they’re the cheaper Deluge ones.
    I’ve got two short Paclite Berghaus if you want me to measure?

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s not something I consider too much, as I pretty much always wear gaiters, so trews that are 2″ too short wouldn’t be a problem.

Premier Icon RustyNissanPrairie

I’m a long legged 6’5″ , I have a pair of Bergaus Deluge for dog walking duties, a pair of Mountain Hardware fancy 3d flex jobbies that are long enough and some ex army desert camo goretex ones that are massively long but also massively baggy. Can’t remember exactly what sizes they all are but they fit well in the leg.

Premier Icon littlerob

Following with interest as I spent part of yesterday trying to find some (preferably Rab) trousers (not necessarily water-proof, just “winter”) in 32 waist, 34 leg with no success. Its a size they show, and refer to as “M-L” but appear to be non-existent.

As above, pretty much for dog-walking duties only at the moment. Feats of mountain derring-do may follow (one day).

LR

Premier Icon benp1

6’3 here, only 34in legs though

Berghaus Deluge in long leg here, use them on the motorbike. Very robust and very waterproof

Also have a montane in XL, normal length but seems long enough strangely

Have a look at Paramo, they do long leg. Also I think you can get Army DPM ones in long length

Premier Icon fatbikedog

Ex Raf goretex. I have 2 pairs, one cut off for biking, the other full lenth. Really good quality. They come in many waist sizes and lengths but not all the time. You have to keep looking until your size comes up. There are several sellers on eBay but some that are not. It can be a bit of a hassle searching for the size you want but I think we’ll worth it. They will cost about £30 , mine were brand new.

Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far…

I’ll check out the Rohan ones mentioned.

Think the Endura ones might not be any good for getting on and off over boots – need at least half length zips and preferably full length for hill walking.

I’ve tried Paramo on before but they were too short in their long length version. They do an alterations service but they’re charging 60 quid to lengthen trousers which seems rather excessive.

Sounds like Berghaus may do the job. They do seem fairly readily available in a range of sizes, unlike some of the others.

Anyone got a link to the army type ones mentioned?

Free Member

Couldn’t get my RAF goretex trousers over boots that’s why I had to get rid.

Premier Icon MadBillMcMad
    Free Member

Having become a Lockdown dog owner I was in a similar dilemma.

I decided to double up and get some endura mt500s. I’ve only used them for walking so far but they’ve been excellent. 90% length side zips. OK they are narrow at the bottom but gaiters would solve that.

Very pleased.

Premier Icon TooTall
    Free Member

I came here to say RAF blue waterproof ones. I’m 6’7″ and they are plenty long enough even for me. I can get them on over my size 12 AltBerg boots. Surprisingly good, slimmer fitting than regular Army waterproof trousers.

Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

Suspect the MT500s won’t be long enough. Only one leg length available. Plus I’d ideally want trousers to go over gaiters, not gaiters over trousers.

Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

Rab Downpour Plus look like another option. Available in long leg length although quite hard to find in those sizes.

Price is a little steep though for non-Goretex fabric (they’re Pertex Shield). Seem to be a few reviews suggesting they’re not the most waterproof.

Premier Icon ibnchris

I wear Paramo Cascada 2 trousers and whilst I’m not massively long legged they are a bit long for me. I like them – apart from being a bit long!

Premier Icon Vader
    Free Member

Ive had a couple of pairs of the Berghaus paclites, and would happily get another pair. The cut is good, i quite often wear them as an all day trouser with powerstretch underneath if its minging. Nice high waist, I am a 32 waist with the long leg, it is indeed pretty long. The 2 way zips have never been a problem, you do generally need two hands to adjust but they are great for venting. I have never ridden in them but I think they would be ok, not too flappy. The last pair i put a massive barbed wire rent in the lower leg but it repaired really easy with a strip of tap. For the money I think good value. They pack up tiny but are reasonably robust for lightweight kit, they live in the bag as they are so light and small.

Free Member

On the back of this post I had a wee look on ebay and picked up a pair of vaude drop pants ii 2nd hand. They’re biking specific, but come long legged. Pretty lightweight too. Worth a punt for £20, I’ll let you know what I think when they arrive.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

Arcteryx Beta SL pant is ~£200 but the 32″ Long  has 35″ inside leg

A 34″ inseam will be okay if worn with walking boots and/or gaiters.

Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

I do have some Arcteryx softshell trousers that are nice and long but as always with them price is the issue!

Free Member

What are Berghaus deluge like on the inside? Are they like 2.5 layer or is there a separate liner/mesh?

Vaude pants arrived and whilst long enough and lightweight, can’t get them on over boots.

Premier Icon RustyNissanPrairie

They’ve got a mesh liner, I wear them just over my skiddies ie against my legs and they are fine.

I forgot to mention previously – I practically live in a pair of Fjallraven Barents Pro trousers. Not waterproof but warm when soaked and dry quick. They come raw legged to turn up and hem yourself so are perfect for lanky freaks of nature like myself.

Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

Think I’m going to order the Haglofs. The stated leg length for the medium waist is about 35″.

If they’re no good, second choice will be the Berghaus Paclites I think.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.