Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Waterproof walking boot recommendation
  • jsync

Sad times, my 20 year old nubuck and synthetic Brasher boots have just died, well, killed by me when I over-zealously bent them to remove some clart from the tread. I’ve obviously broken something inside the foot bed which results in a loud crack with every step. I’d only just ordered some glue to repair the rand as they were starting to let a little water in too, ah well.

So, what should I be looking for as replacements? I think my requirements are:

– Fit for wide feet
    – Waterproof
    – A good height with a gusseted tongue, most seem to be mid now?
    – Synthetic and leather / nubuck
    – Sole that suits most surfaces
    – Not too heavy
    – Prefer a good sized rand

I’ve randomly ordered some Berghaus Fellmaster Ridge and Lowa Taurus off the internet and I’m not sure they are any good. The Lowa don’t seem durable and the Berghaus have fragile looking eyelets / hooks. Bearing in mind my last boots are 20 years old they were pretty bulletproof. Have things moved on to lighter but less durable now? I’m not a heavy user but they have been used for everything from being up the snowy Alps to paddling in a stream.

Thoughts and suggestions please 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

How about Altberg? My Tethers came in extra wide and gave me no bother at all. Most durable boot I’ve ever had. My footwear philosophy has now changed so they’re just sat in a cupboard (having just had a factory resole).

househusband

As above, perhaps even Altberg Defenders from eBay; plenty of military folk sell them on there – new and often in boxes. I’ve bought three pairs over the last several years, new, for around £60-70.

willard

Altberg are a good starting point and, if you have really weird feet, you can go visit them and get custom made boots.

I was in the same position as you though and went for a pair of Aku in the ally green colour. They do a 6” and 8” height version and, with a pair of green Superfeet insoles in, fit me better than anything I have worn since my last pair of Aku boots (Purple, RIP).

matt_outandabout

I do think that boots are lighter, and better for it.
    Many are more supple than before, and I wear mine so much less.
    The vast majority of my mountain days are boys now done in approach shoes/ trail running shoes. Longer backpacking, scrambling or particularly wet (snow included) sees me get out the bigger boots (Salomon x-alp mid). My old, heavy, leather B2 Mammut’s never get used.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Unfortunately when you bought before you could expect them to last 20 years but boots aren’t made to last that long now, they want you to spend again! Berghaus aren’t particularly well regarded either nowadays as they’ve become a bit mass produced and available in random shops. I use salomon both the trainers and boots because I find them the most comfortable even though they won’t quite be as good because they don’t have leather outers.

nostrils
    Free Member

Spend a bit more on the Lowa Renegade GTX, deals are out there dependent on size. Well regarded boot, I’ve had mine for 7 years, very hard wearing with strong components. Vibram soles are great on wet rocks too.

Was recently looking at the entry level Lowa boots for my GF and the quality is noticeably different.

mrb123
    Free Member

Meindl make good, robust boots and are usually good for the wider foot.

Probably avoid most Italian makes as they tend to favour a narrower foot.

russianbob
    Free Member

In true STW tradition I shall wholeheartedly ignore the brief and suggest something that is no longer available.

How about a single skin full leather boot – Lundhags do a few that are amazing. – Lundhags Shell Boots

I have a pair of Haglofs Barken from a few years back. I absolutely love them; high, well made, adaptable to conditions through use of layering, waterproof if cared for properly, light, look good. You can’t get them anymore though.

bazwadah
    Free Member

I have some of the Karrimor SF army boots that are a lot better than the normal Karrimor brand. Use them every day for work and also for hiking. Second hand they are about £60 but bear in mind that to resole them it can’t be done at most shoe repair places (due to tread and EVA unit being one piece, apparently). To send them away it’s about £70 so just as cheap to get a another pair.

onewheelgood

I’ve been wearing Lowa Renegades for the last three or four years. They’ve been super comfortable and so far are wearing very well.

BadlyWiredDog

if Brasher fit your feet, the leather boots in the Berghaus range are basically re-branded Brashers and have broadly the same lasting as they ever did.

You’re kind of right in that outdoors kit generally isn’t as overbuilt and durable as it used to be, but the pay-off is lighter, more comfortable kit. If you’re a light user anyway, why do you need boots that’ll last 20 years? It’s not like Brasher has ever made particularly durable boots anyway, if nothing else, the EVA mid-sole cushioning will deteriorate over time – 20-year old EVA should be virtually useless in terms of shock absorption.

Ideally you should go and try a bunch of boots from different brands and choose the ones that fit your foot shape best wth no heel lift, tight spots etc. But choose boots that fit your feet, not mine or someone else’s. AKU, for example, make relatively narrow boots. Scarpa and KEEN are relatively wide. Salomon somewhere in the middle. Ditto Zamberlan, Mammut, Hanwag.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The vast majority of my mountain days are boys now done in approach shoes/ trail running shoes

Me too, Only break out the boots if I know it’s gonna be boggy these days, other than that I wear Asics Goretex trail running shoes.

My Scarpa lasted 5 years, tbh that’s far too long really as BWD says, they’ll be **** long before most folk think they are.

Replaced them with a pair of Berghaus GTX Trail, when they were doing 50% off for Key workers, they’ve been very good so far, Galloways are my local hills and will test the waterproofing of any boot.

Also agree with the above sentiments, I’d rather have lighter boots that last 2 or 3 years abuse, than heavy overbuilt things that last longer.

All my outdoor footwear is at least a size up these days, I like 2 good thick pairs of socks. Trail running shoes 1.5 sizes up, to allow for good socks and swelling on long days.

13thfloormonk

Has to be Altberg, once you’ve owned and used them you can just see the flaws in every other set of supposedly waterproof boots, i.e. too flexible (wears out the waterproof membrane) or too much stitching!

I had a pair of Tetheras and they just gave your feet this bombproof feel that you could march through any bog without even pausing to look where you were putting your feet.

Previous ‘waterproof’ Scarpas remained waterproof for probably less than a year. Sure they were lovely and light and comfortable, but that lightness and comfort betrayed the flimsiness of the build. They were leaking like sieves within a year, fit for the bin within two years. In the same time and arguably after significantly more use, the Altbergs just look a bit scuffed and could arguably be doing with a new sole (a service Altberg provide).

Of course, now I’ve been off the hills for a couple of years and am unlikely to be putting in any significant Munro time any time soon, I’d probably buy something lighter and more flexible as my feet will have gotten soft!

ElShalimo

I’ve just bought my second pair of Altberg Tethera boots (12Wide). The first pair lasted 5 years but started to leak after 4. The bloke in the factory shop told me the sympatex membrane usually fails after 3-5 years depending on use.

They’re good but do need a little breaking in. They do a lighter boot (Fremington) but it depends on your requirements. I like a robust boot due to my weight, the terrain I walk in and having large feet means they flex more.

If you’re anywhere near Richmond it’s worth going to the Altberg factory shop to discuss what you want and to get fitted. With Covid-19 the fitting is from a distance, more of a conversation (after a 3D foot scan) than a true boot fitting. You’ll need to make an appointment.

FWIW, I think the notion of 20yr boots is bollocks. If you’re a regular walker and extremely careful you’ll be lucky to get 10 good years from a pair of boots. If you use them one week a year they’ll last a very long time… ‘cos you’re not using them!!

Tom-B
    Free Member

I use Salomon Trail running shoes day to day walking the dog. Also did Toubkal and Rinjani in them….motorway style paths though! I’ll sometimes use them in summer in the hills if I know it’s not likely to be wet too.

Standard ‘hiking’ shoes are Salomon Ultra Mid 3. Just got a new pair yesterday. I did Gokyo Ri in my old ones along with another several thousand km’s. With thick socks they’re warm enough in winter too, but a bit low cut for snow. I believe that they now do these in a wide fit.

Winter with crampons Scarpa Manta….I picked up a pair that literally looked brand new, allegedly only worn once, on eBay for £110 recently.

No longevity experience with the Mantas, but I seem to get about 3-4 years out of the Salomon stuff, but it’s worn daily.

cultsdave
    Free Member

The only answer is to go to a shop and try some on. The best boot in the world will be terrible if it doesn’t fit. Any decent outdoor shop will be able to help you find the boot that fits your feet and is suitable for purpose.

robw1
    Free Member

best to try some on in a good shop to get an idea of fit.

I have a pair of Mendhl boots for my wide troll feet. had the last pair for about 12 years. they are great. very supportive, waterproof, reasonably tall so water doesn’t get into them over the top. not cheap (circa £180 up) but seem to be just as well made as ever. used my old pair in the Alps, Indian Himalayas, throughout SE Asia, Oz and New Zealand as well as countless days in UK hills. really good boots for most conditions.

STW rules….recommend what you’ve got!!

geomickb
    Free Member

Fit more important than anything else but I feel I must recommend Scarpa because I have had such exceptional customer service from them.

Rock N Run sales are always worth a look.

jsync

Thanks for all of the replies, food for thought. I think I’m erring towards a lighter boot now, something with a bit more comfort but with lower expectations on life. Maybe Haglofs or Meindl, but as I am on holiday in Richmond next month (assuming it doesn’t all go to shit) then I may try Alt Berg, although those are definitely heavier.

Thanks all.

ElShalimo

Altberg do a light boot called Yan Tan, it might fit your feet. The boots they make are on many different lasts so unless you normally use a farrier, they’ll have something to fit you

colournoise

Wide feet here. I size up Adidas Terrex GTX boots. Not 100% on brief but super light and super comfy. Last pair did about 1500km of mixed use before giving up (although TBH I have no idea whether this is good or not). Can’t see me buying anything else until they stop making them.

zippykona

I bought some surplus warriors and they had the slipperiest sole known to man kind. Even a walk through a puddle would have me skidding all over the pavement.

.They were amazingly waterproof though.

I ended up buying Haix Airpower P9s. Feet don’t get wet but a day of walking through rivers and they seem to soak up water at night.

Put on a radiator after use  and they were fine.

chipster

In the spirit of recommending what you’ve got…
    I got some Haix High Liability Goretex British Army boots, just before lockdown.
    Tick all of your boxes.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Lowa Patrol and Meindl Bhutan both fit the criteria. They’re also both solid as a rock and hugely comfortable.

From experience.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

“Spend a bit more on the Lowa Renegade GTX, deals are out there dependent on size. Well regarded boot, I’ve had mine for 7 years,”

I’ve had 3 pairs in 3 years. None lasted more than a year, though Cotswold did replace them under guarantee!
    Just dog walking in Surrey…

binners

Wide feet? Tell me about it. I’ve got feet like an orangutan and recently bought a pair of Meindl Bhutan‘s. They’re the comfiest things I’ve put on my feet, bar a pair of slippers and appear to be so well put together I fully expect them to outlast me.

footflaps

The vast majority of my mountain days are boys now done in approach shoes/ trail running shoes

+1

Only use proper boots if I’m going to be using crampons and might want to front point at some point.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof walking boot recommendation’ is closed to new replies.