Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Waterproof trousers for commuting?
  • robbo1234biking

OK so what do people use for commuting? I dont have much to spend. I have been looking at the alture 3/4’s as I only ever where shorts for cycling and thnk trousers would end up stuck in the chain – what experiences do people have of this? Cheers!

theflatboy
    Free Member

i only ever wear 3/4 tights and longsleeved lycra tops in cold weather and never anything waterproof. even in winter i get too hot in anything more than that, but my ride’s only 7 miles/around 20-25 mins so a quick blast.

robbo1234biking

Mine is only 3 miles! So nice and easy but no shower at work so dont want to arrive looking like a drowned rat! I get changed in the toilets but facilities are limited and is an office based job as well

thomthumb
    Free Member

endura thermolites which are water resistant. but it’s raining today so i left them at home. I’d rather be wearing thin wet lycra than thick wolly wet lycra.

waterproof shorts are good though: i just bought army surplus ones and cut to lenght; camo cos i’m a proper urban warrior! cough cough!

thomthumb
    Free Member

you need a towel not waterproofs!!

theflatboy
    Free Member

3 miles, waterproofs are more hassle than they’re worth. as stated, get a towel!

robbo1234biking

Does seem a bit pointless I know but id get use of them at weekend rides as well. Maybe Ill just save my money for something else then!

avdave2

Army surplus gortex here for my off road commute. Wear them most days in the winter because the route is usually wet and muddy. I just wear boxer shorts underneath which are fine for a 6 mile ride and they don’tget too hot.
    I use a couple of velcro straps to keep them out of the chain.

miketually
    Free Member

Mine’s three miles too. I ride in my work clothes, so just bung some Aldi waterproofs on top. They’re not waterproof anymore, so I’m looking for some alternatives but it doesn’t rain often enough for it to be a priority.

Pauly

I have a mint pair of large Altura Drylines for sale if you’d like them. I’m 6′ and they’re bang on.

£40 posted.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Altura Rush– about £25.00, just the job.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have full mudguards on my commuting bike. Excellent dry-trouser investments if you can bear to be seen with them. A chainguard as well, for subtly different reasons. 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof trousers for commuting?’ is closed to new replies.