Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Waterproof shorts
  • Taff
    Free Member

What you guys and gals using? Need something as its so crappy out. Don’t want to spend a fortune either

pinhead
    Free Member

army surplus cut down

singletracksurfer

I really like my endura mt500

flatfish
    Free Member

Altura attack here.
    Zip burst on it and they changed them after inspection.

crazy-legs

Endura SupaLites
    Fully waterproof and reasonably snug fitting so they don’t flap round annoyingly. I’ve got some MT500 shorts as well but they’re more splashproof than fully waterproof.

scaredypants

army surplus cutdown – goretex bib-baggies for about 12 quid IIRC

Onzadog
    Free Member

MT500. Like the fact it’s more splash proof than waterproof. The rain I can live with. It’s the constant spray from the back wheel that gets me down.

c_klein87

another vote for altura attack’s, they do come out quite big though, i’m a 30inch ish waist and mediums swamped me

footflaps

MT500 also. Waterproof on the seat and windproof everywhere else. Not too sweaty and keep the chamois dry.

sambob
    Free Member

Madison Tempest 3/4 have been good for me so far, but they’re not 3/4s as such, only go down as far as my knees. Nice slim fit though.

fairhurst
    Free Member

all of the altura range is exceptional in performance and value.

Lummox

Alturas are excellent, allow Knee pads to fit and the optional brace is a must, very comfy even when not that wet, also quite quiet.

Endura events are a slightly slimmer cut, don’t fit me with knee pads, so i use them for when i don’t wear pads. I have added braces (tree surgeon ones from ebay)

out of the two i’d but the alturas again. 100%

Simon

Tried medium and large Altura Semi Drys, neither fitted properly.
    Eventually settled on Endura Superlites in medium. They’re 3/4 length which I wasn’t sure about at first but they’re perfect even with knee pads. Bit pricey though.

Taff
    Free Member

Interesting with the surplus stuff. May have to go and have a gander thIs week. Found all the shorts expensive. Looked at some 3/4 Lycra shorts and was shocked at some of the prices of those too. The Altura shorts definately seem good from a price/performance point of view

avdave2

i’m a 30inch ish waist and mediums swamped me

I’m a 30 and the small are on the large side. My attacks have lasted 3 winters so far and that’s wearing them most days through the winter on my off road commute. I am tempted with the MT500 or semi drys though as it’s the mud and water thrown up that are the issue 95% of the time.

smiff
    Free Member

my alturas are great but not waterproof, and get heavy and chafy around the kneees.. how are you guys keeping them waterproof?

jimification
    Free Member

Really like the Altura attacks though something about the cut of them is slightly odd. Mine seem to be pretty much waterproof. Not 100% but not far off. I don’t do anything to them.

Simon

The fit of the Altura Semi Dry I thought was weird. Mediums were OK on the waist, tight on the upper thighs and OK lower down the leg.
    Large were a bit big on the waist, OK on the upper thighs, really flappy/baggy on the lower leg, which meant they caught on the saddle when riding.

Garry_Lager

I found the attacks fitted very well, decent waterproof-ness, but lasted less than a year. The aris in them is pretty lightweight.
    Army goretex is very waterproof and robust, but there’s no fit to speak of. Need braces with mine.
    The endura singletrack line is not meant to be waterproof as such, but does feature a superb backside – very tough. It’s just the stiching elsewhere that falls to bits.

If you could merge the best features of all these kecks you’d have the last word in mountain bike shorts. Seems like each one has an irritating weakness though IME.

smiff
    Free Member

If your Altura shorts start to come apart i have a tip: black duct (duck?) tape. works so well it’s gone through 3 washes so far.

br
    Free Member

Endura ones here, bought them last year at a wet Afan and have pretty much worn them every wet ride since – they work well enough that I don’t bother with a rear mudguard anymore.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Endura Attacks (£22!!!) mine have lasted two winters but now the arse is getting a bit thin on them. I would however next time get the three quarters as the shorts with the bib braces that you can get for them made them wedgie up and a bit short in the leg. I too have also tried the army surplus cut downs but found that the backsides aint big enough for my sizeable posterior when bent over on bike riding and hence ended up with wet arseage.
    Plus side of the army surplus is however if you shred them its only £12. Dont think I will be lucky enough to get any more Attacks for £22..

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Scott Helium paclite gortex….1/2 price at £40 odd from Evans 6 months ago…….now I know why: rear sealed seams, panels and internal lining have all self destructed within his time frame culminating in a mass wear through tear with less than 1 (wet) ride a fortnight average. Avoid. My old canondales for dry conditions are still going strong 5 years on.

jimmy

just had first ride yesterday in MT500s. Very comfy, stay clean rather than completely dry but its enough to stay comfy in all but the foulest conditions I guess.

Is Army surplus stuff online, or in shops?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Yeah just search for it on ebay plenty on there

sparkyrhino

Great idea with the army surplus ,have got 2 pairs (well my wifes ,she was the soldier not me).gunna dig them out im sure they will fit ok

chives
    Free Member

Altura attack for me. Pretty watertight if washed in techwash type stuff. Cordura arse panel stops ’em wearing through too quickly too.

40mpg

I’ve got the madison shorts. Waterproof for about 2 rides / washes. Re-washed with proper stuff, re-proofed but still no good. Just moist inside, bit like wearing rubber pants!

Oh and the short seams on the bottom of the legs rubbed my knees red raw on a wet ride, use with knee warmers or get 3/4s.

smiff
    Free Member

40mpg, that’s the problem i have with all waterproof shorts and jackets (endura, altura, dhb, and some others so far). maybe something to do with being in a hard water area or my washing machine. i don’t use bio powders. have tried granger and nickwax wash ins. both expensive and last about half a ride if i’m lucky. frustrating. might try the spray on stuff next. “waterproof” material still slightly better as it keeps wind off, but still..

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

Been using Endura Supalites for a few weeks and really happy with them…

jwmlee
    Free Member

Altura Attack here too. No problems, pretty tough. Not particularly waterproof after 6 months of use tho. Suspect they need reproofing.

fairhurst
    Free Member
    jonnyrockymountain

Any one on gore waterproof shorts????

mr-brightside
    Free Member

location waterproof shorts ebay £14.99.

Taff
    Free Member

They’re my kind of price range! Ended up going out in full lycra today was a lot more pleasant that soaking my big fox shorts.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

+1 for the Endura Superlites.
    Long enough to cover your knees, but short enough to allow knee-pads. Ideal for riding in the Lakes.

Just ordered some Altura Attack X Trousers (Endura trousers are too short for my lanky legs) for when its really rubbish. Like today…

cinnamon_girl

Any one on gore waterproof shorts????

Yep, for a few years now. They do the job, yep they’re expensive but I look after them. Can’t beat Gore clothing for wet and windy conditions. 🙂

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof shorts’ is closed to new replies.