Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • waterproof overtrousers for commuting
  • xherbivorex
    Free Member

what would anyone recommend for a shortish commute? don’t have to be mega-breathable really as i only have a 4 mile commute, but i’d prefer to avoid boil in the bag. i’d rather not spend more than about £50-70 on them, but would like to get something that’ll keep out most of the worst days of manchester weather and still be pretty light, weight-wise.
    am i looking for the moon on a stick here?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Altura Night Vision for me. Perfect for my short commute.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=22049&categoryID=214

rootes1

Rainlegs + mudguards.

Actually rainlegs work pretty well on there own, superlightweight and keep the weather of the bits that get hit ie front of thoights and crotch area..

ace bit if kit plus easy to take off and on and also rolls into a belt when not in use.

http://www.rainlegs.com/en/home – some UK places also have them to order but I got mine direct from NL for £25

best mate also has a pair for the manchester leg of his commute

DickBarton

Craft do some waterproof trousers – about £50 – can be worn on their own or over stuff…had mine about 2 weeks and they are superb…well superb in the sense, I’ve worn then in wet conditions and my lower half has been dry. Not felt cold in them either but so far just been wearing a pair of bib shorts underneath them…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

where’d you get them from dickbarton?

kristoff
    Free Member

Endura singletracks for me. Waterproof don’t get too sweaty and good for general winter riding too.

VanHalen

I use side opening jobs from berghaus quite robust though but usable off the bike. Or just cut down 10quid jobs as overshorts

DickBarton

Sorry, posted from bath so didn’t have URL…

Flying Fox Bikes – Here

Stoner
    Free Member

xhx – Berghaus Deluge pant.

Fantastic performer for the money*. I use mine on the bike and on the scooter. Properly waterproof, but doesnt feel like wearing a poly-tunnel.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/berghaus-deluge-mens-waterproof-overtrousers-p131364

* They used to be a lot cheaper though 🙁

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i already have a pair of berghaus deluge, as it goes!
    didn’t think of using them as i figured they were a bit loose and flappy… hmm, i might try them out this week.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’ve recently discovered Sprayway All Day Rain Pants – about £63 from Go Outdoors. Not bike specific, but super comfy as they are super stretchy. Men’s and women’s versions available.

breadcrumb

I have a 5 mile ride to work and use £12 Karrimor over trousers from sportsdirect, not breathable but I only wear shorts underneath anyways.

CraigW
    Free Member

Montane Atomic trousers – pretty lightweight and pack small. They are waterproof, and fairly breathable. They have velcro straps on the ankles, so you can tighten them up to stop them flapping.

Though mine are the older version (Entrant DT fabric), I’m not sure how the current model (Pertex Shield) compares.

zilog6128

I’ve got Altura Attack X. I bought a few different makes/models of waterproof strides from Wiggle (when it used to be free to send stuff back!) and the Attack seemed the least “plasticy” to me. In use they’re pretty good, quite breathable and legs have never got too hot. TBH though if/when they break (seem VERY durable) I probably wouldn’t get any more – for a short commute (winter) bibs are fine I think.

drlex
    Free Member

Have both Rainlegs & Montane Atomic DT; the latter requiring a little less exertion and a careful trouser selection, as they can be boil-in-bag, despite claims of Entrant breathability performance. Rainlegs amuse my colleagues more – “Brokebike Mountain” is one of the more printable comments.

allthepies
    Free Member

For such a short journey I’d use Aldi/Lidl waterproof troons or similar el-cheapos (as per breadcrumb above) i.e. spend approx a tenner I know you specified non boil-in-bag but I find them fine with shorts underneath on a silimar length (4 mile) commute.

takisawa2

2 mile commute here, done in normal work trousers, but I keep a set of THESE in the pannier in case it rains. They stuff down to the size of an orange.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘waterproof overtrousers for commuting’ is closed to new replies.