Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Waterproof camera for non-silly money?
  • DrJ

I am looking for a camera to put in my pocket on beach holidays, snorkelling, rain etc. I know the Olympus Tough range are an STW favourite, but I can’t spend the best part of 400 quid on something to use a couple of times a year. Are there any recommendations for something in the sub-200 quid bracket? Thanks!!

CraigW
    Free Member

Panasonic Lumix FT30, available for about £100. I have the older version of this. Its handy to have in my pocket when out cycling or running. Not actually tried it underwater.

johndoh
    Free Member

Do you have a smart phone? Have you considered just buying a waterproof case for it? That’s what I did.

honeybadgerx

I got a fujifilm XP80 a couple of years ago for ~£130 and it’s been ace. I’m assuming you can either get the same cheaper or a newer model for about the same price.

Pieface

I got the Panasonic as well. Mixed reviews say if you take it snorkelling it leaks, however mins for putting in my pocket for at the beech / walking / running and not having to worry about it. Its also partly for my 5 year old daughter to take snaps with -she was confused about how to take selfies with it.

DrJ

Thanks for the ideas – the Fuji and Pana both look good options. However, it has been strongly suggested to me that the last thing this household needs is another camera, and since the new Nikon D850 seems to be on the horizon I am picking my battles carefully …

wwpaddler
    Free Member

If you’ve got a non waterproof point and shoot / compact camera already just buy an Aquapac waterproof case for it for £20-£30.

DrJ

May well do that paddler. I wont trust it underwater but to avoid splashes it will do the job.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

If you buy a “proper” Aquapac it will be fine underwater.

I’m starting to lose count of the number of people who tell me they’ve bought an Aquapac off Amazon for £2.99 then wonder why their phone is wet and broken after a paddling trip. Only to discover that they haven’t bought an Aquapac at all but a party bag / corporate giveaway no brand name “waterproof phone case” which isn’t waterproof at all.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve had my iPhone down to 5m in a Lifeproof case before. Worked fine.
    Olfi do a very good action cam btw…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof camera for non-silly money?’ is closed to new replies.