Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Waterproof Camera
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Looking for a camera to use out on the water (kayaking etc). Also tough enough to use when out in the hills in the rain and snow. So my phone can remain as an emergency only tool, tucked away somewhere safe.

Don’t mind spending a wee bit but not a fortune. There’s a Panasonic Lumix advertised around £119 which looks okay though doesn’t have WiFi to upload photos, though that’s me just getting lazy probably.

Any thoughts? Cheers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Whichever Olympus Tough suits your budget.

johndoh
    Free Member

Or get an OtterBox for your phone?

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for the Olympus, although I’m sure the Lumix is good too. WiFi is a handy feature, not just a gimmick or laziness

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good point re Wi-Fi. It’s the only thing my ancient TG1 is missing really. Not enough to justify replacement. Yet….

willard

Second hand GoPro 3 or 4? I mean, it’s not going to be amazing, but it will be weather proof and possibly better than a phone.

kennyp
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Checked out the Olympus but from what I can see they all seem to be up around three to four hundred which is a bit outside my budget.

Are GoPro not more about video? Mind you I go do slowly video and still photography are much the same.

And re WiFi I have to admit I do like the fact my photos upload from phone to computer without me doing a thing.

CraigW
    Free Member

Problem with the GoPro, you are stuck with the really wide angle fisheye lens. It is good for some stuff, or can just look weird. Also not many options for photos.

I have an old waterproof Lumix, its not bad. Not exactly great image quality, the small sensor will struggle in low light.

I’d suggest a Sony RX0, though probably more than you want to spend.

db

I have a Lumix FT-30 for canoeing/kayaking duties. Its basic but seems to take reasonable pics and has not leaked yet. (It does spend most of its life in a Peli case only coming when I know I want to take pics and there is less risk of me or it taking a swim.)

Greybeard
    Free Member

I have a Lumix FT-3 for canoe/kayak/mtb, the much older version of the FT-30, although the specs are quite similar. It just goes in the pocket of my buoyancy aid or in a pouch on my backpack strap, no extra protection, and it’s still going after 7 years.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof Camera’ is closed to new replies.