Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Waterproof and breathable jacket under £75?
  • dai3015
    Free Member

Having had a great ride at Nant yr Arian yesterday but having got absolutely soaked through (including my new Aldi specials waterproof socks), I think a new cycling jacket is in order. The perennial problem is budget though!
    Is it possible to get a reasonable jacket that will do both trails and some road work that is waterproof and breathable?
    I see that there’s a goretex one at sports direct for about £75 – having used goretex golf jackets previously (for golf, not cycling) I know not all goretex is as good as the top of the range stuff

Any suggestions please?

andeh

Not a specific suggestion, but if you’re anywhere near Alfreton then there’s a Rab factory sale on Saturday. They usually have some great deals on seconds/samples, I’ve had £300 jackets for £20 in the past.

fruitbat

I got this Keela @ outdoor GB, as recommended here STW Review

It seems to work for me and Mrs FB

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Madison Roam, brilliant value at 59.99

Roam

tom.nash

Another one for the Keela Saxon

hb70

I have just taken a punt on a Bergans Microfibre from Ebay. Second hand but really good condition bought from Lithuania. Took 10 days to arrive but only 19.99. Really pleased with it as a way of getting good quality cheaply.

onandon
    Free Member
    vondally
    Free Member

The one I was looking at in decathlon forclaz400 for £55, it has no drop tail but is 10000m and 3 ply waterproof with a stretch material but importantly has pit zips….these are the most important feature for me on a waterproof jacket as no waterproof membrane has allowed me to sweat and stay reasonably damp whilst riding….those jackets with pit zips have helped tremendously.

vondally
    Free Member

Sorry meant to add usually happier with wind proof or highly wind resistant Pertexct jacket …..with base layer and fleece to stay warm and breathablity is better….currently using a buffalo wind shirt.

Oh try OMM but they are fragile in a crash.. 😳

prawny

I’ve got a DHB Classic Rain Shell which is great, quite (very) roadie-ish though and no hood if that’s an issue.

Northwind

There’s still a few of the old Altura Attack Extremes out there, though limited sizing, for £70-£80. It’s a pretty full on bit of kit, you can’t wear it for summer rain or whatever- it’s highly breathable but still hot and you’ll burn up unless it’s cold out. But for those bad days it’s like voodoo.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Keela Saxon!

Small and light enough to stuff away in the camelback so you always have it, waterproof and nicely breathable.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member
    hainman
    Free Member

Im still running my Altura mayhem and keeps me dry.warm when needed,has hood,does the job,

stevedoc
    Free Member

vondally has it right The forclaz 400 is brilliant , pits for venting and a serious contender for the wet weather award , totally lumped it down on a biblical fashion a few weeks back, local floodings the works , everything below the waist saturated , phone and £20 in top pocket of jacket dry as a bone after 30 minutes of heavy rain

dai3015
    Free Member

Thanks all

Will look at the Decathlon ones – does they size well?

I bought one of the Dare2B Reverence jackets a couple of weeks ago & thought I’d try that again tonight with the pit vents open. What a rubbish jacket, I was wetter inside than a…………, well it was just wet!
    Having played golf in monsoon conditions and wore good quality waterproofs that weren’t top of the range, I know how they should work – but to call something “breathable” when it plainly isn’t is just wrong

Thanks again, will report back when I get some thing sorted (good or bad)

stevedoc
    Free Member

Yeah bought xl and fitted well nice and long in arms too and just get my skid lid under the hood

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I just bought an Endura Hummvee jacket for £45 from Evans. There is a display/ seconds section on their website. Bit of a gamble but you can return them if unhappy; mine was mint aside from a minor blemish/ mark on the rear the size of a thumbnail.

dai3015
    Free Member

Just by way of an update

I managed to pick up a Madison Road Race Apex 2015 fully breathable jacket from Amazon for £44 – seems good value. Arrived today and fits nicely, it’s a roadie fit but not too worried by that as its got the all important venting – 2 chest/pits and interestingly two on the inside of the forearms – should help keep things cooler

hambl90
    Free Member

I use a trespass light weight waterproof which I picked up in a sale for £17 . It’s been great so far. I also have one of their softshell jackets for colder days as well , bike specific gear is way out of my budget but I don’t feel the trespass gear is lacking in anyway compared to it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof and breathable jacket under £75?’ is closed to new replies.