Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Water supply to garage via hose pipe
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

My garage has no water supply to it and not really easy or feasible to take a water feed from another room in the house that has water. Considering using the outside tap, run a hose about 10ft from the tap, and connect to a fitting on the wall that supplies water through the wall and to a tap or something on the other side in the garage.

What fitting would be best to use for that? I can’t imagine just an open pipe with a hose lock fitting on as it would be open when not in use – I’d only connect the hose when I needed the water so not a permanent fitting. Is there some sort of ball lock fitting or something that seals the pipe when I disconnect the hose?

Ta in advance.

theotherjonv

Kind of, I have a hose running from the back tap, over the top of the garage roof and then down at the front held on in places by hose clips. A female push fit each end lets me attach to the male at tap end and then fit a sprayer at the other for watering the front plants.

You just have to remember to turn off the tap and disconnect the hose after use.

It has frozen in winter (never split) but if it did that would be £10 of hosepipe. But I don’t need to water plants in winter anyway

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hozelock fitting will seal the hose when not plugged in.

It’s pretty much their main selling point these days as there are bette options that don’t split and crack in the sun like hozelocks.

I did mine with blue alkethene and 25mm connectors though as that seemed much more useful than having a part time extension on the hose and not horrendoysly much more expensive.

nickjb
    Free Member

Hozelock (and the copies) come in two types, self sealing and non sealing. sounds like you just need the sealing ones

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Yes but I’d need a male sealing fitting though. I have a female sealing fitting on the end of my hose now, so take off the spray gun and I want to connect to a fitting sticking out of the wall to supply water into the garage. So when not in use the male fitting sticking out of the wall would be open and I’d want something that seals when not connected. Not looking to fit permeant hose or piping to it to avoid ll the hassle of freezing over winter, just use the hose and current fitting ideally or a separate shorter section of hose with the right fittings at each end.

spooky_b329

Why do you want it sealed when disconnected? It won’t be drinking quality water anyway.

scruff9252

What will you do for drainage inside the garage?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Surely the male fitting in the wall will always be in use
    …. Be it with your garden hose or with your garage

Why does it need sealing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just stick a lever ball valve inside the house if you can, mines in the conservatory before the hosepipe pipe goes out the wall then you can flick it on/off quickly.

You could even skip all the hosepipe bits and just use flexible polypipe and JG fittings. It probably works out about the same price and won’t leak.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Use brass fittings, cheap from tool station or Screwfix. Plastic fittings WILL let you down.

footflaps

Use brass fittings, cheap from tool station or Screwfix. Plastic fittings WILL let you down.

The only fitting I’ve had fail so far was a brass splitter which split into two – corrosion rather than frost damage – I suspect it was brass plated something or other. All the plastic fittings have outlived it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Why do you want it sealed when disconnected? It won’t be drinking quality water anyway.

Well to stop crap getting in and being forced up through the pipe if left open to crap and insects etc. Guess I could find a physical cap to cover for it.

What will you do for drainage inside the garage?

No need, it’s for home brew just to fill the Mash Tun. It gets mashed, boiled then into the fermenter. I do clean up around the side of the house near the drain with the hose pipe. Also for use with the emersion chiller for cooling the wort after boiling save me walking around the side of the house every time I need to adjust flow rate of cooling water or turn it on or off. Using the hose at the moment but its a bit of a faff so just looking for a neater solution to make brew days go a bit smoother.

Oh well, wondered if there was a clever fitting for some other purposes I could have used.Think there is something on my jet washer that would work, I’m sure the fitting on that seals when the high pressure hose side of things disconnects. Back to the drawing board.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well to stop crap getting in and being forced up through the pipe if left open to crap and insects etc. Guess I could find a physical cap to cover for it.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-ball-valve-w-y-strainer-blue-15mm/6590v

+ https://www.screwfix.com/p/female-socket-x/71287

+ https://www.thehosemaster.co.uk/bsp-male-x-male-click-brass-water-click-fittings/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Water supply to garage via hose pipe’ is closed to new replies.