Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Water Stop Cock in street. Scottish Water
  • benz
    Free Member

Per previous post, we replaced a tap in the garage the other week, which then resulted in reduced water pressure.

The plumber came this morning and has replaced the house stop-cock (actually a ‘robust tap’ in the front cupboard) with a lever as the tap was not seating properly resulting in reduced flow and pressure downstream..

However, in order to do this, he had to switch off our water supply in the street.  Fine.  Well, apart from when he went to switch it back on again the the stop-cock in the street broke resulting in him being soaked and water running down the street.  Scottish Water expect to be there to fix soon which is great.

Our neighbour across the road had the same issue 2 years back when he was doing similar work…he tried to close the street supply but it broke off too.

Our houses were built about 25 years ago, therefore one might expect that the infrastructure may be a bit aged…

I wonder how much Scottish Water will charge to fix…..

perchypanther
    Free Member

Charge who?

You didn’t break it.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

They’ll probably tap you up for an eye watering amount.

Edit … Sorry i’m plumbing new depths there

scotroutes

I hope this thread isn’t going to be flooded with puns.

maccruiskeen

prepare to get rinsed

goldfish24

Puns aside, you’ve got nothing to worry about I suspect. It’s not your stop cock, it’s the water companies. Cost you nothing, and it may help improve your flow rate anyway.

footflaps

They’ll fix it for free.

We had a 130 year old water main under the house no one knew about until it started leaking, they came and capped that off for free.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Its worth exercising your cocks now and again……

beinbhan

Stop cock in street belongs to Scottish water if they don’t maintain them it’s their problem

rene59
    Free Member

You should always get consent before touching someone elses cock.

nickhit3
    Free Member

water lot of trouble. I have to ask, how big is your cock? can you DM me some pics? asking for a plumber friend of mine, who says he knows an expensive cock when he sees one. He did say these days if its old and dirty he wont touch them, what with the easy availability of cheap foreign cocks out there.

wwaswas

If it’s like round here they’ll take the opportunity to fit a water meter at the same time if you don’t have one already…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Water Stop Cock in street. Scottish Water’ is closed to new replies.