Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Water pressure
  • Premier Icon stevied

We’ve had fairly poor water pressure since we moved into this house. The sort where, if you’re running the shower upstairs then turn on another tap, the tap pressure is really bad and shower drops too.
    Just checked and we have around 5l/min.
    We’ve got to the point where it needs sorting.
    Strange thing is there’s a mains pipe coming in to the kitchen which appears to be defunct and the water supply seems to come in on a 15mm pipe…

Premier Icon tjagain

Pressure and flow are not the same. We have very high pressure but normal flow due to location

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

Ours was a little under par when we moved in but I soon found the stopcock was only half open. On full bore, you can’t put the shower head down without having to wrestle an anaconda.

Premier Icon notlocal
    Free Member

Similar problem here. I’m considering fitting one of these

Premier Icon big_n_daft
    Free Member

Multitude of reasons why it could be happening. At 5l/min you are below most companies service standards. They would normally send someone out if you phone up, might be different with covid.

It they get awkward just say you will write in, ask if your house is on the low pressure property register.

Premier Icon sharkbait
    Free Member

when we moved in there wasn’t as much water coming out of the taps as we’d have liked/thought right.
    Had the water company check the pressure and it was fine so it was the flow that was poor. That left the 60m of pipe from the meter on the boundary to the house.
    Turns out that it was an old galvanised pipe that had furred up to the point that you could barely see through a 12″ section.
    Had it all replaced and from then on the flow was good.

So, get the pressure tested by the water co if possible and take it from there.
    You may need a new rising main.

Premier Icon Bear
    Free Member

Could be something as simple as debris in stopcock, could be external stopcock not fully turned on. Look for the obvious first before having to find the expensive solution, probably an accumulator…..

Premier Icon big_n_daft
    Free Member

The device that notlocal points at is a contravention of water regulations and no WIAPS approved plumber would fit one

Premier Icon nicko74
    Free Member

Just repeating what’s above, but the mains pipe could be small and/ or knackered. When we moved into our place you could only run the shower OR any other tap, and if you flushed the loo while someone was in the shower, the shower just stopped.

We replaced the supply pipe as it was lead, and got it upgraded to 3/4″ and it made a huge difference.

Premier Icon Bear
    Free Member

Big n daft – not sure it does contravine water regs, says its a WRAS approved product.
    You are also now allowed to pump direct from the main providing no more than 10 litres per minute.

Premier Icon stevextc
    Free Member

Have you checked the pressure? £10 for a pressure gauge on ebay/Amazon

Premier Icon Greybeard

I’m not a plumber, but if your mains supply is a 15mm pipe I’m not surprised you have low flow.

Premier Icon spooky_b329

If you have an outside tap fed from the rising main, recheck the flow rate there. I struggled with low water pressure for about a year after moving in, until I realised the outside tap was ok. All the taps in the house were designed for mains connected/high pressure systems, mine is all mains pressure but I replaced them with taps compatible with gravity fed systems and it’s much better, I don’t have to start running the bath 40 minutes early now 🙂 My water flow rate is borderline so choice of taps made s big difference.

I had the same issue in my old place, refitted the bathroom and bought a high pressure tap by mistake, the bath was unusable until I swapped the mixed tap to singles.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.